FORUMS

Android-Generic Project - PC/GSI Build Automation Toolkit

2,846 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,982

Post Reply Email Thread
Android-Generic Logo

Android-Generic Project - Android for PCs & GSI devices

What is Android-Generic Project?:

Android-Generic is a collection of scripts, manifests & patches that allow for rapid prototyping of Android projects based off AOSP to produce generic images for Android GSI or Linux PC hardware.

For a more in-depth description of the goals and progressions leading up to this project, please read
this blog post

Vision:

To fill you all in on the grand scheme of things with Android-Generic, the plan come in stages.

* Stage 1 is laying the groundwork for all ROMs to build both PC and GSI builds by supplying them with a standard set of minimal patches. Thanks to Android-x86 & PHH-Treble, thats done. now we collect them and make them easy to apply for everyome. DONE

* Stage 2 is collecting variations of the conflicts those standard patches could potentially have and simplifying the process as we go. This is where all the Android ROMs come in STARTED

* Stage 3 is to use the variations of conflict resolutions from each ROM folder to further automate the process and have vendor patches be automatically figured out by trying each resolution until one sticks. STARTED

* Stage 4 is to continue to automate elements of the process until things are almost too easy STARTED

-----------

Development Chats:

Telegram:

GSI/Treble

PC/x86/x86_64

Resources:

Android-Generic Logos

Basic Project Info

This is a development project for ROM developers that want to add PC or GSI support to their builds.

Prerequisites:

You will need to have synced a ROM and know how to build Android prior to adding this to your build envirnment.

ROMs that have PC builds (so far):

- BlissROM
- AOSP
- Tesla
- WIP - Tipsy
- WIP - Lineage OS
- WIP - Validus
- CarbonROM
- WIP - PixelExperience

ROMs that have GSI builds (so far):

- BlissROM
- AOSP

Please make sure you're well versed in building AOSP: AOSP building instructions before proceeding.

What you need to get started

Follow the link below, and checkout the full project documentation. I'll try to update the readme as often as possible to allow you all to keep up with changes as things are going to ramp up exponentially.

android-generic

Credits

We'd like to say thanks to all these great individuals first:
@phhusson @cwhuang @maurossi @goffioul @me176c-dev @bosconovic @farmerbb @aclegg2011 @eternityson @utzcoz and many others

And these great teams second:
@Google @LineageOS @GZR @OmniROM @SlimROM @ParanoidAndroid and many others, for you still lead the way for Open Innovation in the Android community.

XDA:DevDB Information
Android-Generic Project, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
electrikjesus, jackeagle

Version Information

Created 2020-07-11
Last Updated 2020-08-16
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to electrikjesus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift electrikjesus Ad-Free
11th July 2020, 05:32 PM |#2  
Downloads

These are experimental builds and since I want to focus on helping developers through this project, we will not be supporting any of these builds. They are strictly for testing purposes only.

Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/bli...droid-Generic/

Downloads so far:
PC
  • Bliss
  • AOSP
  • Tesla OS
  • CarbonROM
  • PixelExperience
  • Dirty Unicorns
  • Resurrection Remix
  • LineageOS

GSI:
  • None
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electrikjesus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift electrikjesus Ad-Free
17th August 2020, 02:09 AM |#4  
Updated the second post with a Downloads link to the PC builds so far. Uploaded Tesla Project and will be adding CarbonROM tonight. I'll also upload the PixelExperience build, but I think that we're missing something they add to their gapps they include for phones. So it has some bugs. Test with CarbonROM for now

!!WARNING!!
As a reminder. These builds are for testing only. No user support will be provided.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electrikjesus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift electrikjesus Ad-Free
25th August 2020, 11:21 PM |#5  
Android Generic - PC Builds - New ROM added - 08.25.20

What's Included:
CarbonROM - So we're on to our second update of CarbonROm now. Things there are all working smoothly so far.

Dirty Unicorns - We're also pushing out an initial test build for Dirty Unicorns. Some small issues with these builds so far. Sleep buttons aren't showing in the power menu, and Taskbar's nav buttons for back and home don't respond in these builds either.

Changes to AG:
- Updated how vendor overlays are working
- Added support for vendor specific permissions overrides.
- Various script improvements
- Updated ReadMe

ROM Changes:
- Check the changelogs we include with each build.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electrikjesus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift electrikjesus Ad-Free
26th August 2020, 12:44 AM |#6  
Flag Palmer
Thanks Meter: 6

More
QUOTE=X22396;83273039]Very nice, just downloaded and ran (Live mode) Bliss OS "TESLA". Works very well on on my Lenovo S-340 15" Laptop. (8gb, Intel i5)

Wifi,
Sound,
Bluetooth, (connected WorkTunes Headset)
Darkmode,
Mouse, KB,

So far All seems to be working great. Will install this weekend when i have more time. Just wanted to let you know it appears to work superbly so far. Will keep my eye on updates. Although seems to not have issues so far.

See pic of wallpaper, looks very good.
[/QUOTE]

Update: 082520

Have noticed an issue with the TESLA build.

It installs fine, boots fine, saves my wifi login creds, etc..., However, if I try to install any apps from playstore, or even let it update apps like gboard or Brave Browser, it says that I need to free up space. I have 16gb data.img file on NTFS partition.

Also noticed that it says there's an issue with the SDCARD, when I select either use as internal, or as transfer storage, it formats, and stops @ 23% and never finishes. System is not locked up, I can close out and do other stuff.

Not sure if anyone else is even working with Tesla rom. But just thought I would make aware.

I installed CarbonROM same way, and have no issues with Carbon. Says I have 16g avail, sees the remainder of the drive, etc... worked with GearLock, installed several apps from playstore, etc... no issues.

Note:
Also I will add I am probably considered at "user" level, as I am just getting interested in Custom Roms. and don't expect full-on support, I fully get these are nowhere ready for general public. If I shouldn't be even using these roms please just say so.

However, If i can help test things, and provide developers with usable info, i would like to assist any way I can. If I am only getting in the way, well that's no help to you.
26th August 2020, 02:51 AM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by X22396

Update: 082520

Have noticed an issue with the TESLA build.

It installs fine, boots fine, saves my wifi login creds, etc..., However, if I try to install any apps from playstore, or even let it update apps like gboard or Brave Browser, it says that I need to free up space. I have 16gb data.img file on NTFS partition.

Also noticed that it says there's an issue with the SDCARD, when I select either use as internal, or as transfer storage, it formats, and stops @ 23% and never finishes. System is not locked up, I can close out and do other stuff.

Not sure if anyone else is even working with Tesla rom. But just thought I would make aware.

I installed CarbonROM same way, and have no issues with Carbon. Says I have 16g avail, sees the remainder of the drive, etc... worked with GearLock, installed several apps from playstore, etc... no issues.

Note:
Also I will add I am probably considered at "user" level, as I am just getting interested in Custom Roms. and don't expect full-on support, I fully get these are nowhere ready for general public. If I shouldn't be even using these roms please just say so.

However, If i can help test things, and provide developers with usable info, i would like to assist any way I can. If I am only getting in the way, well that's no help to you.

As long as you're willing to do the legwork for providing feedback and logs to go with that feedback I see no reason why you can't help test these builds

And to answer your questions, Android-Generic only applies a standardized set of changes on-top of the ROMs. Most of these ROMs will have their quirks though as not everyone does things the same way. CarbonROM is a good example of a ROM that doesn't add any device-specific changes that would require a device maintainer to change things from the norm in order to get a fully functional device build. But they also have a large enough user base to where most of the device-side issues have been reported and fixed. Tesla is a very small ROM so far in Q. Just one person doing all the work. So there is a very limited amount of devices it has been tested with and fixes added. Just give them time while development builds back up

One other thing you can try when you are having issues on a build is to delete the data image and recreate that. There's a bunch of tool kits available on the web like rmxtools, Android pc toolbox, etc that can do the work for you from Windows. Google's your friend
26th August 2020, 03:23 AM |#8  
Flag Palmer
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrikjesus

As long as you're willing to do the legwork for providing feedback and logs to go with that feedback I see no reason why you can't help test these builds

And to answer your questions, Android-Generic only applies a standardized set of changes on-top of the ROMs. Most of these ROMs will have their quirks though as not everyone does things the same way. CarbonROM is a good example of a ROM that doesn't add any device-specific changes that would require a device maintainer to change things from the norm in order to get a fully functional device build. But they also have a large enough user base to where most of the device-side issues have been reported and fixed. Tesla is a very small ROM so far in Q. Just one person doing all the work. So there is a very limited amount of devices it has been tested with and fixes added. Just give them time while development builds back up

One other thing you can try when you are having issues on a build is to delete the data image and recreate that. There's a bunch of tool kits available on the web like rmxtools, Android pc toolbox, etc that can do the work for you from Windows. Google's your friend

Thank you, Yeah, Google and I are becoming good friends lately.

Are there specific forums for each of the builds, Tesla, CarbonROM, PixelExperience, DirtyUnicorn, etc... or are they all reported here? And what things are helpful for me to report on?
26th August 2020, 03:37 AM |#9  
Quote:
Originally Posted by X22396

Thank you, Yeah, Google and I are becoming good friends lately.

Are there specific forums for each of the builds, Tesla, CarbonROM, PixelExperience, DirtyUnicorn, etc... or are they all reported here? And what things are helpful for me to report on?

That's partially why we are exploring this option in Android development. So for now let's keep all the bug reports for AG builds in this 1 thread. And if it's patches that can help it then we can do that here otherwise some bug reports will end up having to go to the ROMs themselves
27th August 2020, 04:24 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 373

More
I'm sorry to bother you , I say that because I don't know slot about roms to pc at all. I DO flash roms and root most of my phones so I at least get that .I have a computer I would like to try this on and frankly don't mind to test builds for you guys if you can teach me . I always have time at night . I have a older computer I don't mind bricking lol if that's possible on pc..It's a acer aspire zc-700g..Might even be capable to do this but thought I'd ask ..
27th August 2020, 05:49 PM |#11  
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbrownstone

I'm sorry to bother you , I say that because I don't know slot about roms to pc at all. I DO flash roms and root most of my phones so I at least get that .I have a computer I would like to try this on and frankly don't mind to test builds for you guys if you can teach me . I always have time at night . I have a older computer I don't mind bricking lol if that's possible on pc..It's a acer aspire zc-700g..Might even be capable to do this but thought I'd ask ..

Check the resources listed on the project readme. There is documentation that includes install guides, troubleshooting tips, etc. For the easiest method of testing, I recommend using the included .exe installer from Windows, then follow this method to boot into it:
The Following User Says Thank You to electrikjesus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift electrikjesus Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)