Search This thread

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
BhvNtbW.png

Android-Generic Project - Android for PCs & GSI devices

What is Android-Generic Project?:

Android-Generic is a collection of scripts, manifests & patches that allow for rapid prototyping of Android projects based off AOSP to produce generic images for Android GSI or Linux PC hardware.

For a more in-depth description of the goals and progressions leading up to this project, please read
this blog post

Vision:

To fill you all in on the grand scheme of things with Android-Generic, the plan come in stages.

* Stage 1 is laying the groundwork for all ROMs to build both PC and GSI builds by supplying them with a standard set of minimal patches. Thanks to Android-x86 & PHH-Treble, thats done. now we collect them and make them easy to apply for everyome. DONE

* Stage 2 is collecting variations of the conflicts those standard patches could potentially have and simplifying the process as we go. This is where all the Android ROMs come in ;) STARTED

* Stage 3 is to use the variations of conflict resolutions from each ROM folder to further automate the process and have vendor patches be automatically figured out by trying each resolution until one sticks. STARTED

* Stage 4 is to continue to automate elements of the process until things are almost too easy STARTED

-----------

Development Chats:

Telegram:

GSI/Treble

PC/x86/x86_64

Resources:

Android-Generic Logos

Basic Project Info

This is a development project for ROM developers that want to add PC or GSI support to their builds.

Prerequisites:

You will need to have synced a ROM and know how to build Android prior to adding this to your build envirnment.

ROMs that have PC builds (so far):

- BlissROM
- AOSP
- Tesla
- WIP - Tipsy
- WIP - Lineage OS
- WIP - Validus
- CarbonROM
- WIP - PixelExperience

ROMs that have GSI builds (so far):

- BlissROM
- AOSP

Please make sure you're well versed in building AOSP: AOSP building instructions before proceeding.

What you need to get started

Follow the link below, and checkout the full project documentation. I'll try to update the readme as often as possible to allow you all to keep up with changes as things are going to ramp up exponentially.

android-generic

Credits

We'd like to say thanks to all these great individuals first:
@phhusson @cwhuang @maurossi @goffioul @me176c-dev @bosconovic @farmerbb @aclegg2011 @eternityson @utzcoz and many others

And these great teams second:
@Google @LineageOS @GZR @OmniROM @SlimROM @ParanoidAndroid and many others, for you still lead the way for Open Innovation in the Android community.

XDA:DevDB Information
Android-Generic Project, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
electrikjesus, jackeagle

Version Information

Created 2020-07-11
Last Updated 2020-08-16

Last edited:

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Downloads

These are experimental builds and since I want to focus on helping developers through this project, we will not be supporting any of these builds. They are strictly for testing purposes only.

AG Website: https://android-generic.github.io

Downloads so far:
PC
  • Bliss
  • AOSP
  • Tesla OS
  • CarbonROM
  • PixelExperience
  • Dirty Unicorns
  • Resurrection Remix
  • LineageOS
  • Bootleggers

GSI:
  • None

Last edited:

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Update Posts
AG-10 Generic Builds - 2020-10-07
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83662047&postcount=44

AG-10 Generic Builds - 2020-11-03
https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=83855005&postcount=68

AG-11 Android-x86 mod - x86_64 Generic - Google Kernel 5.4 LTS - Mesa-21.1.0 - Release Date 2021-05-09

Android-Generic Project 2.0 Release

Last edited:
Reactions: SuperDroidBond

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Updated the second post with a Downloads link to the PC builds so far. Uploaded Tesla Project and will be adding CarbonROM tonight. I'll also upload the PixelExperience build, but I think that we're missing something they add to their gapps they include for phones. So it has some bugs. Test with CarbonROM for now

!!WARNING!!
As a reminder. These builds are for testing only. No user support will be provided.

Last edited:

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Android Generic - PC Builds - New ROM added - 08.25.20

What's Included:
CarbonROM - So we're on to our second update of CarbonROm now. Things there are all working smoothly so far.

Dirty Unicorns - We're also pushing out an initial test build for Dirty Unicorns. Some small issues with these builds so far. Sleep buttons aren't showing in the power menu, and Taskbar's nav buttons for back and home don't respond in these builds either.

Changes to AG:
- Updated how vendor overlays are working
- Added support for vendor specific permissions overrides.
- Various script improvements
- Updated ReadMe

ROM Changes:
- Check the changelogs we include with each build.

Last edited:

X22396

Mar 3, 2019
Palmer
QUOTE=X22396;83273039]Very nice, just downloaded and ran (Live mode) Bliss OS "TESLA". Works very well on on my Lenovo S-340 15" Laptop. (8gb, Intel i5)

Wifi,
Sound,
Bluetooth, (connected WorkTunes Headset)
Darkmode,
Mouse, KB,

So far All seems to be working great. Will install this weekend when i have more time. Just wanted to let you know it appears to work superbly so far. Will keep my eye on updates. Although seems to not have issues so far.

See pic of wallpaper, looks very good.
:good::good::cool:[/QUOTE]

Update: 082520

Have noticed an issue with the TESLA build.

It installs fine, boots fine, saves my wifi login creds, etc..., However, if I try to install any apps from playstore, or even let it update apps like gboard or Brave Browser, it says that I need to free up space. I have 16gb data.img file on NTFS partition.

Also noticed that it says there's an issue with the SDCARD, when I select either use as internal, or as transfer storage, it formats, and stops @ 23% and never finishes. System is not locked up, I can close out and do other stuff.

Not sure if anyone else is even working with Tesla rom. But just thought I would make aware.

I installed CarbonROM same way, and have no issues with Carbon. Says I have 16g avail, sees the remainder of the drive, etc... worked with GearLock, installed several apps from playstore, etc... no issues.

Note:
Also I will add I am probably considered at "user" level, as I am just getting interested in Custom Roms. and don't expect full-on support, I fully get these are nowhere ready for general public. If I shouldn't be even using these roms please just say so.

However, If i can help test things, and provide developers with usable info, i would like to assist any way I can. If I am only getting in the way, well that's no help to you.

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Update: 082520

Have noticed an issue with the TESLA build.

It installs fine, boots fine, saves my wifi login creds, etc..., However, if I try to install any apps from playstore, or even let it update apps like gboard or Brave Browser, it says that I need to free up space. I have 16gb data.img file on NTFS partition.

Also noticed that it says there's an issue with the SDCARD, when I select either use as internal, or as transfer storage, it formats, and stops @ 23% and never finishes. System is not locked up, I can close out and do other stuff.

Not sure if anyone else is even working with Tesla rom. But just thought I would make aware.

I installed CarbonROM same way, and have no issues with Carbon. Says I have 16g avail, sees the remainder of the drive, etc... worked with GearLock, installed several apps from playstore, etc... no issues.

Note:
Also I will add I am probably considered at "user" level, as I am just getting interested in Custom Roms. and don't expect full-on support, I fully get these are nowhere ready for general public. If I shouldn't be even using these roms please just say so.

However, If i can help test things, and provide developers with usable info, i would like to assist any way I can. If I am only getting in the way, well that's no help to you.

As long as you're willing to do the legwork for providing feedback and logs to go with that feedback I see no reason why you can't help test these builds

And to answer your questions, Android-Generic only applies a standardized set of changes on-top of the ROMs. Most of these ROMs will have their quirks though as not everyone does things the same way. CarbonROM is a good example of a ROM that doesn't add any device-specific changes that would require a device maintainer to change things from the norm in order to get a fully functional device build. But they also have a large enough user base to where most of the device-side issues have been reported and fixed. Tesla is a very small ROM so far in Q. Just one person doing all the work. So there is a very limited amount of devices it has been tested with and fixes added. Just give them time while development builds back up ;)

One other thing you can try when you are having issues on a build is to delete the data image and recreate that. There's a bunch of tool kits available on the web like rmxtools, Android pc toolbox, etc that can do the work for you from Windows. Google's your friend

Last edited:

X22396

Mar 3, 2019
Palmer
As long as you're willing to do the legwork for providing feedback and logs to go with that feedback I see no reason why you can't help test these builds

And to answer your questions, Android-Generic only applies a standardized set of changes on-top of the ROMs. Most of these ROMs will have their quirks though as not everyone does things the same way. CarbonROM is a good example of a ROM that doesn't add any device-specific changes that would require a device maintainer to change things from the norm in order to get a fully functional device build. But they also have a large enough user base to where most of the device-side issues have been reported and fixed. Tesla is a very small ROM so far in Q. Just one person doing all the work. So there is a very limited amount of devices it has been tested with and fixes added. Just give them time while development builds back up ;)

One other thing you can try when you are having issues on a build is to delete the data image and recreate that. There's a bunch of tool kits available on the web like rmxtools, Android pc toolbox, etc that can do the work for you from Windows. Google's your friend

Thank you, Yeah, Google and I are becoming good friends lately.

Are there specific forums for each of the builds, Tesla, CarbonROM, PixelExperience, DirtyUnicorn, etc... or are they all reported here? And what things are helpful for me to report on?

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Thank you, Yeah, Google and I are becoming good friends lately.

Are there specific forums for each of the builds, Tesla, CarbonROM, PixelExperience, DirtyUnicorn, etc... or are they all reported here? And what things are helpful for me to report on?
That's partially why we are exploring this option in Android development. So for now let's keep all the bug reports for AG builds in this 1 thread. And if it's patches that can help it then we can do that here otherwise some bug reports will end up having to go to the ROMs themselves

kenbrownstone

Feb 12, 2013
OnePlus 7 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
I'm sorry to bother you , I say that because I don't know slot about roms to pc at all. I DO flash roms and root most of my phones so I at least get that .I have a computer I would like to try this on and frankly don't mind to test builds for you guys if you can teach me . I always have time at night . I have a older computer I don't mind bricking lol if that's possible on pc..It's a acer aspire zc-700g..Might even be capable to do this but thought I'd ask ..

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm sorry to bother you , I say that because I don't know slot about roms to pc at all. I DO flash roms and root most of my phones so I at least get that .I have a computer I would like to try this on and frankly don't mind to test builds for you guys if you can teach me . I always have time at night . I have a older computer I don't mind bricking lol if that's possible on pc..It's a acer aspire zc-700g..Might even be capable to do this but thought I'd ask ..
Check the resources listed on the project readme. There is documentation that includes install guides, troubleshooting tips, etc. For the easiest method of testing, I recommend using the included .exe installer from Windows, then follow this method to boot into it:

Last edited:
Reactions: kenbrownstone

X22396

Mar 3, 2019
Palmer
On all these AG builds with Brave Browser in them. They don't allow you to turn on rewards feature.

I have disabled the provided Brave Browser, Installed Brave Beta, and/or Brave Nightly, and still cannot turn on rewards feature in these builds.

I am sure this falls to the bottom of the bottom of the list of issues.

Anyway, just curious.

Reactions: electrikjesus

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
On all these AG builds with Brave Browser in them. They don't allow you to turn on rewards feature.

I have disabled the provided Brave Browser, Installed Brave Beta, and/or Brave Nightly, and still cannot turn on rewards feature in these builds.

I am sure this falls to the bottom of the bottom of the list of issues.

Anyway, just curious.
I have tried Bromite browser, but it is not as good with working across all the devices. Many can't play video with it and the google webview we include for x86/x86_64

X22396

Mar 3, 2019
Palmer
I have tried Bromite browser, but it is not as good with working across all the devices. Many can't play video with it and the google webview we include for x86/x86_64

Thank you for the reply,

Brave browser let's you earn rewards, mainly by showing certain approved ads.

In DirtyUnicorns, and CarbonROM, (for example) the ability to turn this on is not there in the Brave Browser settings, even with the latest updates.

The Rewards Triange is missing, and there is no setting to turn it on.

I have even disabled, and installed both the Beta version and the nightly versions in these builds, but still cannot turn this feature on. So its something in the builds preventing this feature.

I don't think you need to change the browser in your builds, Brave is a good choice as a browser.

(Screenshot taken from my Galaxy Note 10+ Brave browser shows triangle. )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-125006_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-125006_Brave.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

X22396

Mar 3, 2019
Palmer
Thank you for the reply,

Brave browser let's you earn rewards, mainly by showing certain approved ads.

In DirtyUnicorns, and CarbonROM, (for example) the ability to turn this on is not there in the Brave Browser settings, even with the latest updates.

The Rewards Triange is missing, and there is no setting to turn it on.

I have even disabled, and installed both the Beta version and the nightly versions in these builds, but still cannot turn this feature on. So its something in the builds preventing this feature.

I don't think you need to change the browser in your builds, Brave is a good choice as a browser.

(Screenshot taken from my Galaxy Note 10+ Brave browser shows triangle. )

Here is the screenshot from DirtyUnicorns.

I was just curious if it could be enabled. Its really a minor issue overall.

Last edited:

X22396

Mar 3, 2019
Palmer
Wanted to report on DirtyUnicorns issue: (Note: may be issue in other builds as well.) (First time I tried in this build).

***Do NOT Enable "DataSaver" option,
DataSaver option will crash your system. Upon reboot it reactivates, since you can't turn it off, and stays at boot animation.

You have been warned... get ready to reload and start over if you activate DataSaver.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200827-182516_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20200827-182516_Settings.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 117

mgs1994

Oct 21, 2015
Xiaomi Poco F1
Realme X2 Pro
How to install carbon rom, I tried to install using bootable usb drive? but it gives me an error, like trying to mount the storage and trying to format it, seems it's something is wrong so have to stop it there and exit

electrikjesus

Recognized Contributor
Apr 10, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
How to install carbon rom, I tried to install using bootable usb drive? but it gives me an error, like trying to mount the storage and trying to format it, seems it's something is wrong so have to stop it there and exit
If you're not able to install using bootable USB method, try the Windows .exe installer method as that is what I use for most of my personal testing.

Reactions: mahir555

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BhvNtbW.png

Android-Generic Project - Android for PCs & GSI devices

What is Android-Generic Project?:

Android-Generic is a collection of scripts, manifests & patches that allow for rapid prototyping of Android projects based off AOSP to produce generic images for Android GSI or Linux PC hardware.

For a more in-depth description of the goals and progressions leading up to this project, please read
    this blog post

Vision:

To fill you all in on the grand scheme of things with Android-Generic, the plan come in stages.

* Stage 1 is laying the groundwork for all ROMs to build both PC and GSI builds by supplying them with a standard set of minimal patches. Thanks to Android-x86 & PHH-Treble, thats done. now we collect them and make them easy to apply for everyome. DONE

* Stage 2 is collecting variations of the conflicts those standard patches could potentially have and simplifying the process as we go. This is where all the Android ROMs come in ;) STARTED

* Stage 3 is to use the variations of conflict resolutions from each ROM folder to further automate the process and have vendor patches be automatically figured out by trying each resolution until one sticks. STARTED

* Stage 4 is to continue to automate elements of the process until things are almost too easy STARTED

-----------

Development Chats:

Telegram:

GSI/Treble

PC/x86/x86_64

Resources:

Android-Generic Logos

Basic Project Info

This is a development project for ROM developers that want to add PC or GSI support to their builds.

Prerequisites:

You will need to have synced a ROM and know how to build Android prior to adding this to your build envirnment.

ROMs that have PC builds (so far):

- BlissROM
    - AOSP
    - Tesla
    - WIP - Tipsy
    - WIP - Lineage OS
    - WIP - Validus
    - CarbonROM
    - WIP - PixelExperience

ROMs that have GSI builds (so far):

- BlissROM
    - AOSP

Please make sure you're well versed in building AOSP: AOSP building instructions before proceeding.

What you need to get started

Follow the link below, and checkout the full project documentation. I'll try to update the readme as often as possible to allow you all to keep up with changes as things are going to ramp up exponentially.

android-generic

Credits

We'd like to say thanks to all these great individuals first:
    @phhusson @cwhuang @maurossi @goffioul @me176c-dev @bosconovic @farmerbb @aclegg2011 @eternityson @utzcoz and many others

And these great teams second:
    @Google @LineageOS @GZR @OmniROM @SlimROM @ParanoidAndroid and many others, for you still lead the way for Open Innovation in the Android community.

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android-Generic Project, Tool/Utility for the Android General

Contributors
    electrikjesus, jackeagle

Version Information

Created 2020-07-11
    Last Updated 2020-08-16
    AG-11 Generic Builds - 2020-12-19
    !! Please remember to not quote these update posts, or any of the OP's !!

OK, it's been a little while since we've posted any updates in here. So I'd like to first announce that our PC's now have Android 11 (before most phones even get it). With this first round, we have a minimal Bliss OS, using kernel 5.8, mesa 20.1.0, etc.

But wait, that's not all, as we've also put together a solution for extracting libndk_translation, gapps, etc. from Google's emulator images, and we've worked out most of the kinks in getting not just gapps, but also ARM & ARM64 apps working in our PC builds with it. Source is WIP, but you can find it here:
    https://gitlab.com/android-generic/android_vendor_google_emu-x86

Also, since Android 11 made our past method of hiding the navbar obsolete (overscan method), we have to use the old qemu.hw.mainkeys as a backup plan, so there is a script (toggle_nav.sh) that can be used to disable/enable the soft navbar and use Taskbar if you prefer. Just remember that you will need to remount / as RW (mount -o remount,rw /dev/loop(0) /) Use cat proc/mounts to see where / is mounted for your install.

But wait, there's more...
    New member of Bliss, and creator of Gearlock, @AXIM0S just happens to have a few tricks up his sleeve still for A11, and his first one comes in the form of Rusty-Magisk ( https://github.com/AXIM0S/rusty-magisk/releases/tag/v0.1.3 ), allowing us to have a built in compatibility layer with Magisk. Currently, most magisk modules aren't working, but development is ongoing.

Gearlock is also working with most A11 builds too, but there are some issues, so instead of installing it for you by default, you all can make that decision on your own. Some of our builds will have a _g in the filename, representing that it contains a Gearlock installer binary in system/etc/. Just follow the instructions from gearlocks main thread to figure out how to install it. Be careful though, as it is easy to mess things up when using low-level tools like Gearlock. Use common sense please.

We will be updating the website with links soon, so please keep posted.
    https://android-generic.github.io

With all this being said, if you or anyone you know is interested in working along side me and the rest of the team, please reach out and let us know. Thanks!!

Build Info

All Builds Include:
    • Updated to Kernel-5.8
    • Script for disabling navbar
    • Taskbar (Desktop Mode Launcher)
    • Launcher3 (normal tablet mode launcher)
    • Lots more, check the changelog

Gearlock info:
    ( https://supreme-gamers.com/r/gearlock-custom-recovery-replacement-for-android-x86.40 )

NOGFX=0 - Do not override kernel CLI options (needed if you plan on using Vulkan mode)
    NORECOVERY=0 - Do not enter recovery or show countdown for it (should not combine any other Gearlock options with this)
    NOSC=0 - Do not supercharge the system partition/image on boot
    ALWAYSRECOVERY=0 - Always boot into recovery first.

!!WARNING!! The builds that use Kernel-5.2+ are no longer compatible with the AUTO_LOAD=old kernel command line option. If you are using this option to boot, then you will not be able to. It will bootloop.

PLEASE NOTE I recommend everyone testing to also use this in Vulkan mode or boot using gbm_gralloc, as I am considering making it the default. Vulkan mode can be done from the Advanced grub menu if you installed using the bootable installer, or if you used a different grub, you will want to add "VULKAN=1" to the grub entry before the word "quiet". If your device doesn't support Vulkan, you can add "GRALLOC=gbm" to the same place in your grub entry. Sleep states should work fine after that.
    Other bootloop issues can also be solved by booting with GRALLOC=gbm command -line option.

Recommend Installers (easy mode):
    These builds will work with Axon's installer:
    As well as ours:

Other installation methods (Virtualbox, EFI stub, etc.):
    Please review the Install section of the Bliss wiki: https://wiki.blissroms.org/index.php?title=Bliss_OS

Builds that have been uploaded:
    • AG-11-Bliss_OS-14-x86_64-202012190914_kernel-5.8-si-next-fs_r_egapps_libndk_wv_m.iso

Known new issues:
    • Sleep states aren't working right on a few machines. Some can cause SystemUI to restart.
    • Some machines still have volume/sound issues, use 3rd party EQ or volume control.
    • Bluetooth on some devices
    • Rotation not working on some devices
    • Most magisk modules
    • Some ARM/ARM64 apps still do not work. Gimme logs
    • No Alt-f1/f7 console this round. If you need to mount as RW, or need access to root console, please boot in debug mode or add DEBUG=(0/1/2) for logging level.
    • Some soundcards still start up quiet AF, please use an EQ app like Volume Booster by Goodev or follow the alsa instructions from Android-x86 docs/groups.
    • Widevine is not working yet, enjoy most other video formats for the moment
    • Firefox browser force quits on some machines. Will be updating asap

Download:

Website has been updated with download link added to the "Other AG Flavors" section of the site:
    https://android-generic.github.io

Changelogs:

Code:
    Way too many changes to list here. Please see the changelogs for each build, or check the history in the Android-Generic repo to see what we're working on. https://gitlab.com/android-generic/vendor_android-generic/-/commits/r11

Thanks, and #stayblissful ;)

Head on over to http://blissroms.com for info on Bliss or http://blissos.org for more info on Bliss OS. And while you're there, feel free to checkout more of what we're doing as a nonprofit. We're also always looking for developers, maintainers, designers and social media peeps to volunteer their time. If that's you, you can find the Join Team Bliss link on our nonprofit page.
    Downloads

These are experimental builds and since I want to focus on helping developers through this project, we will not be supporting any of these builds. They are strictly for testing purposes only.

AG Website: https://android-generic.github.io

Downloads so far:
    PC
    • Bliss
    • AOSP
    • Tesla OS
    • CarbonROM
    • PixelExperience
    • Dirty Unicorns
    • Resurrection Remix
    • LineageOS
    • Bootleggers

GSI:
    • None
    I've also been having this same issue on VMware Workstation, using a 64GB drive. The issue seems to come from GRUB somehow. The OS seems installs fine without GRUB, but obviously, this is a problem, as GRUB is necessary for it to boot. Choosing to install GRUB is what causes this issue.

EDIT: I wanted to point out that the issue seems to be independent of hardware. It occurs both with SATA and IDE drives, and the GRUB part makes me think it's probably not a VM configuration error, but rather some kind of error with calculating space requirements in the installer.

I will put looking into the installer on my list of things to do soon
    Is there any news on this?
    Sorry, nothing yet. I had to leave out of state for work and haven't gotten back home yet. It's been about a month on the road so far...