Rooting your phone and using custom Recoveries and ROMS have risks and may result in bricking your device, and has nothing to do with Google or the device manufacturers. In case of any mishap I am not responsible if you brick/ruin your phone in any way.
Basic computer skills are required and minimal knowledges about phones and phones utilities too.
Make sure that whatever you do, you are doing it at your own responsibility.
- version 5.7.2 is for Lollipop (cm 12.1, aicp lp or resurrection remix lp) and version 6.6 is for Marshmallow (cm 13, aicp-mm or resurrection remix mm).
The version starting number is related to android version.
This is a CWM based recovery and I did put up some work to update it to lollipop (cm 12.1) and marshmallow (cm-13) after official cwm development stopped at kitkat. It works with LOLLIPOP and MARSHMALLOW kernels and it builds with cm 12.1, aicp lp or resurrection remix lp (version 5.7) and with cm 13, aicp-mm or resurrection remix mm (version 6.5).
This is for those who want a lighter and simpler recovery or they just liked CWM before. It's not as good or complex as twrp, but it will do the job just fine.
For gui I ported PhilZ Recovery full touch module.
Because the vold in cm 12.1 and 13 doesn't support cwm anymore I had to use the old fstab1 type for functionality, although for building reason a valid recovery.fstab should be provided in device tree. In the third post there are some building hints to make it clear for those who want to try building it.
- EXT4 and F2FS support (for f2fs use the BoardConfig flag).
- full touch menu ported by me from PhilZ touch Recovery. The old Napstar-xda touch module was good but it's quite old and to update that was too much work. Actually There is a version 4 with that touch module, all working, but the touch doesn't work with some input drivers and I had to give up on it for the new and improved version from PhilZ.
- all cwm functionalities are up and working (adb, sideload, backup, restore, install, mass storage...). There is no mtp and if your phone doesn't have an external sdcard you can't connect it to PC while is in recovery mode. But there is usb-otg support, of course if your phone was shipped with that.
- added new menu for backup and restore advanced, to use it for backing or restoring only a specific partition and I also ported from PhilZ the multizip flashing function.
- in Carliv menu there is now a new section for flashing boot and recovery images. It is a feature that I needed during many recovery builds testing. I wanted an easier way to flash other image without booting to android and using an app like RashR. You can browse your storage locations for any image and after choose you will have to select on wich partition should that be flashed. I added multiple confirmations check to avoid flashing on wrong partition. This feature works only with boot and recovery images. I won't add other partitions to this because for other things there are multiple backup restore functions.
- for MTK phones (if the flag is used in Boardconfig) there is a new menu to backup and restore some important partitions like uboot, nvram an secro because they are involved in restoring a lost IMEI, and also the logo partition which may often get broken by bad ported ROMs.
- besides these all my old specific menus (aroma, rainbow...) are still in place.
- added support for dencrypting and mounting data partition using the builtin minivold from cyanogenmod with vdc commands (the ideea came from this post of Lekensteyn). Tested and working well with text ar hex passwords, and maybe will work with pin too but I don't think it will work with pattern .
- added support for dencrypting and mounting adopted storage in marshmallow. The solution is based on this article of nelenkov.
- there is no included root solution. I choose to do it this way because there is no universal root solution now and someone may end up messing things with a non-working root option. You can flash a zip installer from Chainfire's SuperSu or other solution that may work for your phone.
All screenshots are made with my old tool from here (still working well).
The biggest thanks go to AP756 and DerTeufel1980, two friends from Germany, who sent me a new phone each, with lollipop OS and that helped me a lot to do this.
- Phil3759 for the touch code and many other things from his recovery;
- TWRP developers. I learned a lot from their work;
- Clockworkmod Team starting with Koushik Dutta and ending with all developers that made the CWM recovery what it was;
- Cyanogenmod Developers;
- Nikolay Elenkov;
In next post there are some links for built recoveries. I'll add more soon as I get a valid link (on a reliable webhost) from people who build it for other phones.
I worked alone on this, there is no team here, not because I don't want to , but probably because there was no one interested in this, and so there may be some unspotted bugs. If you find any please do tell me to help on fixing it.
Carliv Touch Recovery, Tool/Utility for all devices (see above for details)
Current Stable Version: 5.7.3 & 6.6.1
Stable Release Date: 2016-07-19
Last Updated 2016-07-19