FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] DexPatcher: Modify Android applications at source-level in Android Studio

2,687 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,452

By Lanchon, Senior Member on 21st March 2015, 08:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th April 2015, 12:27 AM |#21  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
UPDATE: version 1.0.0-beta2 released!

Changelog in the previous link. Do you use DexPatcher? Say hi on this thread!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 04:13 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 5,227

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanchon

UPDATE: version 1.0.0-beta2 released!

Changelog in the previous link. Do you use DexPatcher? Say hi on this thread!

Hi !
I read a few about the tool and plan to try as soon as I have few time (I'm moving my home this month…).
I keep thinking this tool is really useful when you have a lot to patch in smali.. (which is a real pain comparing to java coding).
I also plan to port the scripts to windows (as the tool is cross platform).

Note: Any clue about DexPatcher usage with GitHub traffic analytics?
The Following User Says Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
6th April 2015, 05:52 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 360

Donate to Me
More
Hi
Awesome project.
Works great.
The only thing I have to point, is the pseudo java, sometimes it's all messed up and when you move it to src it won't compile.
Many thanks for this tool, good work.

Sent from my butt using XDA Free mobile app
6th April 2015, 06:12 PM |#24  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

Hi !
I read a few about the tool and plan to try as soon as I have few time (I'm moving my home this month…).
I keep thinking this tool is really useful when you have a lot to patch in smali.. (which is a real pain comparing to java coding).
I also plan to port the scripts to windows (as the tool is cross platform).

Note: Any clue about DexPatcher usage with GitHub traffic analytics?

well 5 people forked it but no commits so far.

great, i can help u with the windows scripts if u want. im sure itd help people get started. you might want to look at these kinds of expasions: https://code.google.com/p/dex2jar/so...t?name=0.0.9.x
6th April 2015, 06:31 PM |#25  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

well 5 people forked it but no commits so far.

great, i can help u with the windows scripts if u want. im sure itd help people get started. you might want to look at these kinds of expasions: https://code.google.com/p/dex2jar/so...t?name=0.0.9.x

May be you could see with @Diamondback to get integration of your tool in a more known one like VTS?
And more userfrendly than a CLI! No offense, I'm fine with CLI but GUI often get more users…
6th April 2015, 06:54 PM |#26  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

May be you could see with @Diamondback to get integration of your tool in a more known one like VTS?
And more userfrendly than a CLI! No offense, I'm fine with CLI but GUI often get more users…

lol yes, and so does windows but im not in the business of pushing tools! i dont plan to do that because ive got more interesting things to do if i have the time IMHO. btw, i think eclipse integration is much more valuable than any adhoc gui. im using dexpatcher with eclipse (jdt) and its great. eclipse really helps with both analyzing the source app and writing the patch. i should do a write up on how to set it up. (it does need the scripts to set up things though.)

much better than win scripts would be an eclipse extension. i just dont have time to write that.
6th April 2015, 07:00 PM |#27  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

lol yes, and so does windows but im not in the business of pushing tools! i dont plan to do that because ive got more interesting things to do if i have the time IMHO. btw, i think eclipse integration is much more valuable than any adhoc gui. im using dexpatcher with eclipse (jdt) and its great. eclipse really helps with both analyzing the source app and writing the patch. i should do a write up on how to set it up. (it does need the scripts to set up things though.)

much better than win scripts would be an eclipse extension. i just dont have time to write that.

Better than the script to set up, you could have a "DexPatcher project" type in Eclipse
Otherwise, IDEA plugin could also be an "idea". I wonder how many devs have switch to IDEA since the devtools are officially base on Intellij software…
7th April 2015, 12:13 AM |#28  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Better than the script to set up, you could have a "DexPatcher project" type in Eclipse
Otherwise, IDEA plugin could also be an "idea". I wonder how many devs have switch to IDEA since the devtools are officially base on Intellij software…

but im using JDT in eclipse, not ADT.
20th April 2015, 11:14 AM |#29  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
UPDATE: version 1.0.0-beta3 released!

Changelog in the previous link. This is a major update and feels feature complete, but I still need to accrue more experience in using it before a release. The sample in the OP has been updated to match and uses the latest features. Be sure to check it out if you haven't in a while, you can use the commit history to find the recent changes.

I've also published a supplemental tool called ExtractAR; can you guess what i'am after next?

As a side note, I've been using DexPatcher in a couple of real world projects and, after setting up symbols and scripts in Eclipse, i'm really pleased with the development experience and speed... not to blow my own horn :-p. it used to be 20% of the time to figure out what to change and 80% to actually do it. now 90% of the time is figuring out what i want to do and only 10% doing it, and i'm doing complex changes i wouldn't have dared to before!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
1st June 2015, 07:04 PM |#30  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

UPDATE: version 1.0.0-beta3 released!

Changelog in the previous link. This is a major update and feels feature complete, but I still need to accrue more experience in using it before a release. The sample in the OP has been updated to match and uses the latest features. Be sure to check it out if you haven't in a while, you can use the commit history to find the recent changes.

Hi @Lanchon
Any news about a final release? Did you think about some improvement or new feature to add it?
Not for asking ETA, just to wake up some interest about the project
1st June 2015, 10:25 PM |#31  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Hi @Lanchon
Any news about a final release? Did you think about some improvement or new feature to add it?
Not for asking ETA, just to wake up some interest about the project

ive been working *a lot* on this! although it doesnt show so for DexPatcher...

the current version should be considered v1 feature complete. it is mostly there. there will be a new release that integrates dexlib 2.0.6 over current 2.0.5, which includes some api changes that i requested for dexlib that increase polymorphism and cleans the DexPatcher codebase all around. but there should be no user-facing changes, this is implementation detail. a final release is only pending testing, that's what the beta is for!

unfortunately i haven't tested dexpatcher as extensively as i would have wanted: instead of using dexpatcher, ive been busy crash-coursing on groovy, gradle, the android build system, and android studio itself. im working on deep integration of dexpatcher into the new android build system. had i knew the amount of work this would take first hand, i wouldnt have embarked on it! seriously! integration will finally take 5 to 10 times more work than the tool itself. but the good news is that a preview release is relatively near. and it will be... awesome! the scope far exceeds the dexptacher tool, but for now ill only say that i've embraced the sad fact that not everybody uses linux, and dexpatcher reloaded is completely multiplatform

the only real problem i have is an impending set of trips, to the US and europe, and if i dont finish the tooling in time and publish, i will completely forget all the complexity im dealing with now in my head. and when im back months later, i suspect i wont have inclination to continue. yes im learning *a lot*, thats true, but most of the stuff im doing is really *not* enjoyable.

regarding the future of the dexpatcher tool, the big missing piece of the puzzle is multidex support. it was consciously left out because 1) *i* dont need it for my projects, and 2) you have to control feature creep and release early! i don't know enough about multidex to even begin to tackle the problem in my head. multidex is a horrible hack. i suppose dexptacher will gain multidex support, but suspect that it will only support multidex enabled dalvik VMs, and not the old VMs on which multidex runs thanks to libraries packaged with each apk.

tl;dr trust me, you'll love the new dexpatcher hopefully it'll trigger wide acceptance of the tool. but for now it's nice to see some interest, so thanks for stopping by!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanchon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lanchon Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)