[BOOTANIMATION][MM] Android Marshmallow bootanimation in multiple resolutions

Search This thread

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Hi,

I've resized the Android Marshmallow bootanimation from the Developer Preview 3 to multiple resolutions, so people with devices of different display resolutions can use it. All credits for the original file go to Dustin Wann a.k.a. @themustached.

Preview:
SfqlMsn.gif

In the attachments you can find correct versions for 320p, 480p, 540p, 600p, 720p, 800p, 1080p, 1440p and 1536p devices. I've only tested the 480p, 540p and 800p versions, as I don't have any other devices at hand right now, but users are reporting that the other versions work as well.

In the attachments is also included a "Bootanimation Preserver" zip, which adds a script to your ROM that preserves the currently installed bootanimation when updating your system. For this to work, you need to have a ROM that supports addon.d scripts (CyanogenMOD and most other popular ROMs do).

Installation:
Flash the downloaded zip in recovery
--- OR ---
Extract the zip and copy the extracted system/media/bootanimation.zip file to /system/media/bootanimation.zip on your device and change its permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--).

Choosing the right version:
I'm getting quite a few questions about which version to choose. Generally, it depends on your resolution, choose the version accordingly to the pixel width of your screen. For example, if you have a screen of resolution 960x540 pixels, you would choose the 540p version.

Known problems:
  • This bootanimation will NOT work on newer Samsung devices with stock ROMs or TouchWiz-based custom ROMs. Samsung uses a proprietary QMG format for its bootanimations, and doesn't support the bootanimation.zip which we're using. There's not much we can do about this, only recommend you use a custom, AOSP based ROM like CyanogenMod or others.
  • If you have any CyanogenMod theme for bootanimation installed, then just installing this bootanimation will not change anything. You have to revert back to the built-in system bootanimation theme as well.
  • This bootanimation will most probably NOT work on Micromax devices - no idea how to fix that yet.
  • Some people are reporting problems with the display of the animation on Motorola devices - we weren't able to find the cause of the issue yet, we're sorry.

Troubleshooting:
If the bootanimation is still not working for you and you're sure you did everything the instructions say, we're really sorry about that, please let us know and we'll try to help.
For us to be able to help you, it would be great if you included this information in your post:
  • your device manufacturer and model
  • which ROM do you use
  • which version have you tried to install
  • if you installed via recovery or manually
  • what exactly is happening when you say "it's not working"
  • if you have tried some other custom bootanimation and if it was working for you or not (and if it worked, perhaps include the link to it as well)
  • pictures or videos are useful as well, if you experience some strange behaviour not easily explained by words
Thanks!

Enjoy!

Note: @xdagee packaged the bootanimation as an app for the CyanogenMod Theme Engine; if that suits you better, you can find it in his thread.

Attachments

• marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-320p.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 75,262
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-480p.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 112,721
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-540p.zip
    4.1 MB · Views: 47,460
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-720p.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 154,139
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-800p.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 47,592
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-1080p.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 127,810
  • bootanimation-preserver.zip
    199.3 KB · Views: 13,602
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-1080p-landscape.zip
    5 MB · Views: 29,459
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-1440p.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 26,507
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-1536p.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 17,554
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-600p.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 10,127
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-720p-landscape.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 16,827
  • marshmallow-bootanimation-flashable-1440p-landscape.zip
    5 MB · Views: 12,467
Last edited:

tykob

Mar 29, 2011
Wanted to see how this would work/look on my S6. Any way to make the 1080 version into a .qmg file?

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
Wanted to see how this would work/look on my S6. Any way to make the 1080 version into a .qmg file?

Well, there is a nice guide here on XDA describing how to create .qmg bootanimations.
Unfortunately, I don't use Windows, so I can't use the Samsung Theme Creator, and I don't have any Samsung device to test, so I won't be able to help you with this, I'm sorry. You can try to convert the animation yourself, though, the process looks pretty straightforward. The only problem would be that qmg bootanimations probably don't support an custom animation finish, so the bootanimation would just end abruptly and wouldn't display the Android text.

tykob

Mar 29, 2011
Well, there is a nice guide here on XDA describing how to create .qmg bootanimations.
Unfortunately, I don't use Windows, so I can't use the Samsung Theme Creator, and I don't have any Samsung device to test, so I won't be able to help you with this, I'm sorry. You can try to convert the animation yourself, though, the process looks pretty straightforward. The only problem would be that qmg bootanimations probably don't support an custom animation finish, so the bootanimation would just end abruptly and wouldn't display the Android text.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into that and post the results when I finish.

Nayibmc

Dec 26, 2014
Cartago
I installed 720p for Z1C and it works, the problem is that it's just "android" in white getting darker, not like the preview you attached

kpham

Feb 18, 2011
HCM
Thanks for your awesome work! :)
if I want to change back to the default bootanimation of Sony 5.1, I just need to copy the old bootanimation and set permission in the same way?

frantisek.nesveda

Jan 10, 2012
I installed 720p for Z1C and it works, the problem is that it's just "android" in white getting darker, not like the preview you attached

Hi,
did you install it via recovery, or did you copy the file manually? If you did it manually, did you set the right permissions (644 / rw-r--r--)?
The white glowing Android text is the default bootanimation, which is loaded when the system can't read the custom bootanimation.zip.

zg85

Apr 25, 2013
540 confirmed working on LG G2 D802 temasek's ROM (by me) :good:

Thanks !!

Gyotto

Feb 20, 2010
100% PERFECTLY working (the 1920x1080 version i mean) on Samsung Note 3 SM-N9005 ? I'm running the Audax Rom 27.1

GREAT JOB

Request [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] :
If we could have it in landscape, would be SUPERRRRRR [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] .

Unfortunately I have not the skills to do it... sorry.

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

I've resized the Android Marshmallow bootanimation from the Developer Preview 3 to multiple resolutions, so people with devices of different display resolutions can use it. All credits for the original file go to Dustin Wann a.k.a. @themustached.

Preview:
    SfqlMsn.gif

In the attachments you can find correct versions for 320p, 480p, 540p, 600p, 720p, 800p, 1080p, 1440p and 1536p devices. I've only tested the 480p, 540p and 800p versions, as I don't have any other devices at hand right now, but users are reporting that the other versions work as well.

In the attachments is also included a "Bootanimation Preserver" zip, which adds a script to your ROM that preserves the currently installed bootanimation when updating your system. For this to work, you need to have a ROM that supports addon.d scripts (CyanogenMOD and most other popular ROMs do).

Installation:
    Flash the downloaded zip in recovery
    --- OR ---
    Extract the zip and copy the extracted system/media/bootanimation.zip file to /system/media/bootanimation.zip on your device and change its permissions to 644 (rw-r--r--).

Choosing the right version:
    I'm getting quite a few questions about which version to choose. Generally, it depends on your resolution, choose the version accordingly to the pixel width of your screen. For example, if you have a screen of resolution 960x540 pixels, you would choose the 540p version.

Known problems:
    • This bootanimation will NOT work on newer Samsung devices with stock ROMs or TouchWiz-based custom ROMs. Samsung uses a proprietary QMG format for its bootanimations, and doesn't support the bootanimation.zip which we're using. There's not much we can do about this, only recommend you use a custom, AOSP based ROM like CyanogenMod or others.
    • If you have any CyanogenMod theme for bootanimation installed, then just installing this bootanimation will not change anything. You have to revert back to the built-in system bootanimation theme as well.
    • This bootanimation will most probably NOT work on Micromax devices - no idea how to fix that yet.
    • Some people are reporting problems with the display of the animation on Motorola devices - we weren't able to find the cause of the issue yet, we're sorry.

Troubleshooting:
    If the bootanimation is still not working for you and you're sure you did everything the instructions say, we're really sorry about that, please let us know and we'll try to help.
    For us to be able to help you, it would be great if you included this information in your post:
    • your device manufacturer and model
    • which ROM do you use
    • which version have you tried to install
    • if you installed via recovery or manually
    • what exactly is happening when you say "it's not working"
    • if you have tried some other custom bootanimation and if it was working for you or not (and if it worked, perhaps include the link to it as well)
    • pictures or videos are useful as well, if you experience some strange behaviour not easily explained by words
    Thanks!

Enjoy!

Note: @xdagee packaged the bootanimation as an app for the CyanogenMod Theme Engine; if that suits you better, you can find it in his thread.
    Moto G GPE 720p works perfectly ?
    Xperia Z2 1080p works flawlessly
    Thanks for giving me credit! I'm Dustin. I appreciate it.
    I use 540 for my n4, 320/480 are too small imo