FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] [TEMPLATE] How to create themes for Icon Pack Generator [21/01][9 THEMES]

694 posts
Thanks Meter: 623

Post Reply Email Thread
HOW TO MAKE ICON PACK GENERATOR THEMES

-first post: guide
-second post: list of themes
-third post: questions and answers

Icon Pack Generator is an android app that allows you to create your custom icon pack. I've recently introduced the possibility to create custom themes that the app will be able to use. See the video to see what themes for Icon Pack Generator can do!
Are you new in themes development? Do you want to add new features to your existing themes? This is the right place for you

DOWNLOAD APP: Google Play
DOWNLOAD EXAMPLE THEME: Google Play
ICON PACK GENERATOR APP XDA THREAD: XDA thread

WHAT IS AN ICON PACK GENERATOR THEME
A theme is an application that contains three list of images: iconbacks, iconmasks and iconupons. You will be able to choose one image for each list and to then create the icon pack. Themes are downloadable from playstore and may be standalone (marked with IPG Theme) or included in existing themes (like icon packs, cyanogenmod themes, substratum themes and more).
Please excuse me if there aren't many themes out there at the moment, I hope that the number of available themes will grow in the future!
In the second post there's the list of available themes. If you are a user it's a good point to start to search for themes. If you are a themer/developer, it's a good opportunity to advertise your theme!

HOW TO MAKE A THEME FOR ICON PACK GENERATOR
You have three options, all of them very easy! You can download the android studio template, the apktool template or create an android studio from scratch (or edit your existing project to add support to your existing theme/application).

GUIDE FOR THE ANDROID STUDIO TEMPLATE
-download the template from here: LINK
-unzip the template where you want. Then open the project with Android Studio (File->Open).
-edit the package name in build.gradle (Module: app) file (edit the "com.ipg.themetemplate" string with what you want)
-edit the name of the theme and of the developer in values/strings.
-now you can create your icons! Just add theme into assets/ipg/iconback, assets/ipg/iconmask and assets/ipg/iconupon. You can name the icons as you want!

GUIDE FOR THE APKTOOL TEMPLATE
-download the template from here: LINK
-decompile the apk
-edit the package name in AndroidManifest.xml file (edit the "com.ipg.themetemplate" string with what you want)
-edit the name of the theme and of the developer in values/strings.
-now you can create your icons! Just add theme into assets/ipg/iconback, assets/ipg/iconmask and assets/ipg/iconupon. You can name the icons as you want!
-compile the apk, zipalign he apk and sign it
(I won't explain here how to use apktool. The thread of apktool is here: LINK)

GUIDE FOR CREATING THE PROJECT FROM SCRATCH/EDIT YOUR EXISTING THEME PROJECT
1)Introduction
There are only a few steps to do in order to create a theme for Icon Pack Generator app. You can make a standalone theme or add support for icon pack generator to an existing theme/app
*Standalone: you have three options:
1)open Android Studio, then File/New Project. During the setup select Lollipop 5.0 as minimum sdk and select "add no activity" in the following screen. Then follow the steps below
2)download the Android Studio template
*Add support: open your existing theme project in Android studio and follow the steps below
2)Update your Manifest
Put this code into your AndroidManifest.xml (IMPORTANT: you need to put this into "application" tag):
<meta-data
android:name="IconPackGenerator_Theme"
android:value="true" />
<meta-data
android:name="IconPackGenerator_Theme_Name"
android:value="PUT YOUR THEME'S NAME HERE" />
<meta-data
android:name="IconPackGenerator_Theme_Author"
android:value="PUT YOUR DEVELOPER NAME HERE" />

Just modify PUT YOUR THEME'S NAME HERE and PUT YOUR DEVELOPER NAME HERE with what you want.
3)Update assets folder
Go in the assets folder (create it if you don't have it. You need to create it in the same path where "res" folder and AndroidManifest.xml file are) and create the "ipg" (without " obviously) folder into it. Then create "iconback", "iconmask" and "iconupon" folders into "ipg" folder.

4)Add icons
Add images into the three folders. You can name them as you want (they will be displayed in alphabetical order) and you can add as much images as you want (if you add too much images probably the page of the app will take some time to opens but all should be fine - just try it out!)
There is only a constrain: images must be in .png format and 192x192 pixels.
PS: what is an icon back, an icon mask and an icon upon is explained in the third post!

You're NOW ok to go! Just install the theme and test it with Icon Pack Generator app!

PROFIT!!
You can upload your theme on google play or where you want.

THEMES SHOWCASE
There is a themes showcase into the app! If you want that your theme is listed there, compile this module: HERE
OPTIONAL: If you publish your theme on playstore, remember to write in the google play description this string somewhere: "Icon Pack Generator community: https://plus.google.com/communities/108846485158085152805"
In this way, if the user will search for themes from inside the app, will see also your theme.
I suggest to do both steps (module for the showcase and string in playstore description) to obtain the max visibility possible, but it's your choice!
[The full string is not required, you can just write "108846485158085152805" if you want, it's your choice!]

Let me know if you have any doubt/question! And good luck in making awesome themes!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SpadaBoss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpadaBoss Ad-Free

12th October 2016, 11:30 AM |#2  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Rimini

Donate to Me
More
LIST OF AVAILABLE THEMES
Here you can see the list of the available themes. Hope that there will me many themes in the future!
To have your theme added you can leave a comment on this thread or send me a PM!
[PS: the link will be written only for the free themes to respect XDA policies. You need to search the paid themes by yourself]

NAME - AUTHOR - TYPE - LINK
-Antares - Recenz Tastic - Substratum theme - Google Play (paid)
-Example Theme - Gianluca Spadazzi - Standalone theme - Google Play (free)
-Griffith - Recenz Tastic - Standalone theme - Google Play (free)
-LONE IpG - Kikk0s - Standalone theme - Google Play (free)
-LONE ELITE - Kikk0s - CM13 theme - Google Play (paid)
-LoNe 4SuBs - Kikk0s - Substratum theme - Google Play (paid)
-Oxygen - GPApps - Substratum theme - Google Play (paid) *NEW*
-SpadIcons - Gianluca Spadazzi - Standalone theme - Google Play (free)
-Stratus - LeoFracca - Standalone theme - Google Play (free)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpadaBoss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpadaBoss Ad-Free
12th October 2016, 11:30 AM |#3  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Rimini

Donate to Me
More
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
In this post I'll write the answer to the common questions you may have.

What is iconback, iconmask and iconupon?
-iconback: image displayed behind the icon
-iconmask: image that "masks" the icon. You can use transparent colors or black color to create the mask. Where the mask is black, the icon will not be visible. Where the mask is transparent, the icon is visible. Where the mask is 30% transparent, the icon will be 30% visible and so on.
-iconupon: image displayed upon the icon
(I strongly reccomend to test the app/see the video. You'll understand everything within 10 seconds! )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpadaBoss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpadaBoss Ad-Free
12th October 2016, 12:07 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag 43.7031 - 7.2661
Thanks Meter: 7,141

More
great app

subscrided !
The Following User Says Thank You to Troubadour666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Troubadour666 Ad-Free
13th October 2016, 07:54 AM |#5  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Rimini

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour666

great app

subscrided !

Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to SpadaBoss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpadaBoss Ad-Free
14th October 2016, 01:02 AM |#6  
Flag east
Thanks Meter: 4,965

Donate to Me
More
Top work.
14th October 2016, 05:42 PM |#7  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Rimini

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewwright

Top work.

thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to SpadaBoss For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SpadaBoss Ad-Free
15th October 2016, 01:33 PM |#8  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Rimini

Donate to Me
More
Welcome to the first theme that added support to Icon Pack Generator! LONE ELITE!
It's a paid CM13 theme.

I've updated the second post with the list of supported themes. A simple free standalone theme will be released by me next days, and one substratum theme will add support next week! Themers/developers, we are looking for you
16th October 2016, 09:21 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 85

Donate to Me
More
Great app and great job! LONE ELITE its ready to icon pack generator! For now over 10 customization! I add the icon pack generator support also on LONE cm12 /13
16th October 2016, 09:35 AM |#10  
Flag Pistoia
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Awesome project, i follow the proress!
16th October 2016, 04:06 PM |#11  
OP Recognized Themer
Flag Rimini

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkos

Great app and great job! LONE ELITE its ready to icon pack generator! For now over 10 customization! I add the icon pack generator support also on LONE cm12 /13

Quote:
Originally Posted by remeic

Awesome project, i follow the proress!

Thank you guys
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
icon, icon pack, iconpack, template theme, theme

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)