I make this guide for those who want to make their own themes for Samsung Devices. This uses Samsung My Theme, a software developed by Samsung.
The devices supported by this method are devices compatible with TouchWiz Theme Engine (like my A5 2015 for example)
Things you'll need:
Samsung My Theme Software, it has the following system requirements:
• A PC running Windows 7 or later.
• A Samsung device using Samsung Theme Engine.
• Android SDK for Android 4.4 or higher should be installed on the PC.
• Java JDK version 1.6-7.0 (not 8.0).
1. Downloading the required software.
You can download my version of Samsung My Theme here:
Unzip the .zip file, and put it on a location you can access easily. Simply unzip the tool and run
1.2 Downloading Java JDK & Android SDK.
*Android SDK does not currently support JDK 8.0. Use JDK versions 6.0 or 7.0 only.
- Download the Android SDK (version 4.4 only) just use the download.bat script in working folder (it will download all SDK automatically) or you can download it manually here:
- Copy all files and folders in the Android SDK…\android\android-sdk folder to the \sdk
folder on your PC.
Open Samsung_My_Theme folder and go to /sdk folder. Copy the files to this /sdk folder according to this below:
2. Choosing the correct resolution for your device and saving theme path.
Open the working folder and run SamsungMyTheme.exe
Wait few seconds, the components will be loaded. Once the app is loaded, select create a changeable theme.
2.1 Select the correct resolution for your device.
The software will ask you to choose your device resolution, if you don't know it, just search for specs of your Samsung device and you will find it.
Taking the example of A5, it uses 720x1280p so I choose it. Once all of that is done choose a name and a saving path for your Theme.
2.1 Adding Lockscreen and Home screen wallpaper.
After creating the theme file, you have to add your own resources to it.
You can use your resources to do that, download any picture you want and click on add image on the left side (see the picture below)
A popup will be opened, select your picture and click on open. You should now see your picture on the components. Use the adjustements tools on the right side to crop, rotate, adjust size or cut your pic to make it fit your device screen. Do the same procedure for the home screen wallpaper.
2.2 Adding your own icons.
Click on icon button.
Click on "+" to select the image you want to use as a icon for the app you want to change the icon.
Note: if you let a case empty, after Installing the theme to your device, it will use the stock icon.
Taking example here of music app icon.
Do as previous steps, use your own images. Crop the icon to make it fit the white square on the center. Adjust brightness if necessary. And do the same of the other icons you want to change.
3. Testing your Theme on your device.
Using SamsungThemePreview on your device
Go to your SamsungMyTheme folder, you should see an apk file named " SamsungThemePreview.apk", select it, plug your device to your PC and move the .apk file to your device. Use a file browser on your device, select the apk of SamsungThemePreview and install it as a normal apk.
- Now go to Settings > About device, touch 10 times build number, go back to settings, and now you should see a new option named "Developer options" click on the tile and enable USB debugging mode. Allow any popups on the device.
On your PC, click the Preview on phone button on the menu bar. When Theme Preview apk is installed, a preview of your theme will be displayed
If you like your Theme, select file, click on save and then "Package the APK file"
It will open a new popup, set name for your Theme, package name, etc... And click on save.
It will take some time to build the apk file depending on the resources you used.
Once it's finished, you can directly apply the theme to the device or take it from working folder and /out.
Congratulations ! You made your own theme from your own resources.