[GCam] Camera PX for Google Pixel 1 / 2 / 3 / 3a / 4

Search This thread

Khalid922

Jan 9, 2020
Please is there a way i can get the double exposure slider(like the pixel 4) on pixel 3 or is there a gcam mod that has it?

maruchandd

Dec 22, 2017
I recently got a pixel 5 and am utterly disgusted with the Camera quailty. The details on everything are smudged compared to my old pixel 3a, which accidentally broke.

I decided to get a new 3a, hook it up with graphene (android 12), and put the cstark gcam mod - I seem to remember this is the mod I had on that gave me such beautiful pics.

One thing I believe helped was the Non-ZSL framecount being put to 30. For some reason, now choosing anything above 15 causes the camera to hold on 'taking picture' (doesn't crash). I am pretty sure I set it to 30 on my old 3a. Any idea what caused this?

PS lots of pepople say their pixel 2 and 3 produce superior pictures after working with theri pixel 5 and 6. Looking at the results from a pixel 5, I have to agree

Humpus

Mar 7, 2013
I recently got a pixel 5 and am utterly disgusted with the Camera quailty. The details on everything are smudged compared to my old pixel 3a, which accidentally broke.
This. I also got a Pixel 5 when my Pixel 3 broke, and the details in pictures are just non existent. Try taking a picture of anything with small text on it and it's just horrible.

I compared it to the Pixel 4A and the difference is night and day.
Resetting the camera app on the Pixel 5 to v.8.3.252 made things a little bit sharper, but not much.

I had a look at the RAW files and the difference is also noticeable there. I can't understand how Google can screw things up like this.

runekock

Apr 24, 2012
Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Nexus 6
Can anyone share a link of the version that works with Samsung Note 10 Lite?
The BSG mod is usually a good bet:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Project Status
    2021-12-20: This project is no longer being worked on. Please look towards MWP mods https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-MWP/

As you may have noticed or seen in my sporadic posts here, Camera PX development has been non-existent for quite some months now. This is mainly due to a lack of substantial updates within Google Camera, but also due to lack of interest in the project as other things in our lives have become more important. As each new Google Camera version is released, the modifications have to be re-done from scratch so this would take quite some time as we only get to do this in our "free" time after work and spending time with our families. We do hope the Pixel 5 release brings some new/interesting things to the table but that is yet to be seen, and the passion to restart the project is also yet to be seen. For now, we are releasing a minor update to "support" Pixel 4a's but since Google Camera 7.2 was not built with Pixel 4a's in mind, you may notice a quality difference than your stock camera.

Disclaimer
    This has turned into a collaboration between @back.rider555, @johngalt1 and myself. We do this in our free time, when able, to bring newer Pixel features and mods to your older device.

Introduction
    This is a Google Camera mod for the Pixel phones. The main goal is to bring newer features to older Pixels, where possible.

What is Google Camera (AKA GCam)?

Google Camera is the camera app for the Google Nexus and Google Pixel phones. It is not designed or intended to be run on other phones.

What is HDR+?

Basic: HDR+ is Google's proprietary image processing routine, and is more than just traditional "HDR' modes. HDR+ employs image stacking to control exposure, and also to preserve details, reduce noise, increase sharpness, etc. It is an all-in-one package.

Advanced: https://ai.googleblog.com/2014/10/hdr-low-light-and-high-dynamic-range.html

Google Camera Features

Pixel 1
    • Zero Shutter Lag (ZSL) HDR+ - The Pixel 1 introduced ZSL HDR+ which means when you open the camera, the system utilizes the Hexagon DSP to constantly buffer frames and marks the time slot of when you pressed the shutter button.
      * -- Quote from Marc Levoy via The Verge:
      "The moment you press the shutter it's not actually taking a shot — it already took the shot," says Levoy. "It took lots of shots! What happens when you press the shutter button is it just marks the time when you pressed it, uses the images it's already captured, and combines them together."
      It's a major usability improvement on the HDR+ mode in last year's Nexus 6P and 5X. "What used to happen last year is you'd press the shutter button and you'd get this little circle going around while it captured the images you need for the burst; now it's already captured those," says Levoy. "And that's big, because that means that you can capture the moment you want."
      * -- https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/13315168/google-pixel-camera-software-marc-levoy

Pixel 2
    • Portrait Mode - Simulates bokeh for improved subject separation from the background. The front camera of the Pixel 2 only provides Portrait Mode when a human face is detected, and the rear camera can work on an object, an animal, a human, etc because it uses information from the Dual Pixel PDAF sensor to detect depth. Google Camera ports for non-Pixel phones can NOT do this so all ports for non-Pixel phones utilize the front camera technique for both front & rear (which means all ports for non-Pixel phones can only properly apply bokeh when a human face is detected).
      * -- Advanced read: https://ai.googleblog.com/2017/10/portrait-mode-on-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl.html
    • Motion Photos - Provides short clips of moments before and after you take the photo.
      * -- Advanced read: https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/03/behind-motion-photos-technology-in.html

Pixel 3
    • Top Shot - When Motion is set to Auto or On, Pixel will recommend a better photo to you if it detects one. Like if you captured a photo when someone blinked.
      * -- Demo:
    • Photobooth - Automatically capture a photo when Pixel detects a silly face or a smile.
    • Super Res Zoom - Enhances zoomed picture quality by purposely shifting the camera module using OIS (Pixel 3 only) to gather more data.
      * -- Advanced read: https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/10/see-better-and-further-with-super-res.html
    • Motion Metering - On the Pixel 3 Motion Metering is used in the "default photo mode" to detect subject motion and if it detects enough motion, Pixel will shoot with a faster shutter speed to reduce subject blur. The Pixel 1 and 2 get to use this in Night Sight only.
      * -- Further reading (about 1/3 down the article): https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/night-sight-seeing-in-dark-on-pixel.html
    • Synthetic Fill Flash - Pixel 3 will brighten faces in selfies.
    • Tracking Autofocus - Tap on a subject or area to keep focus when the subject or phone moves.
    • Learning Based White Balance - Google's attempt to fix white balance for low light photos. Used in Night Sight and HDR Enhanced on the Pixel 3.
      * -- Further read (about 1/2 down the article): https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/night-sight-seeing-in-dark-on-pixel.html
    • Portrait Mode Learned Depth - Pixel 3 improves the rear camera Portrait Mode depth detection for more consistent and more pleasing bokeh.
      * -- Advanced read: https://ai.googleblog.com/2018/11/learning-to-predict-depth-on-pixel-3.html

Installation instructions
    Root is NOT needed.
    * -- Download APK to your Phone (or PC then transfer to your phone)
    * -- Locate APK with File Manager and Install
    * -- You will be prompted to Allow Unknown Sources. This is normal for APK's not downloaded from the Play Store.

Download
    PXv8.1_GCam-v1.2.apk

See optional Magisk modules in Post 2 below.

Alternative download location (thanks to @s4turno):
    https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-cstark27/

Previous Versions:

PXv4.5_GoogleCamera_7.2.014.apk

PXv4.3_GoogleCamera_7.2.014.apk

PXv4.2_GoogleCamera_7.2.014.apk

PXv4.1_GoogleCamera_7.2.014.apk

PXv4.0_GoogleCamera_7.2.014.apk

PXv3.3.1_GoogleCamera_7.2.010.apk

PXv3.3_GoogleCamera_7.2.010.apk

PXv3.2_GoogleCamera_7.2.010.apk

PXv3.1_GoogleCamera_7.2.010.apk

PXv3.0_GoogleCamera_7.2.010.apk

PXv1.1_GoogleCamera_6.3.020.apk

PXv1.0_GoogleCamera_6.3.020.apk

P3v12.6_GoogleCamera_6.2.030.apk

P3v12.4_GoogleCamera_6.2.030.apk

P3v12.3_GoogleCamera_6.2.030.apk

P3v12.2_GoogleCamera_6.2.030.apk

P3v12.1_GoogleCamera_6.2.030.apk

P3v12_GoogleCamera_6.2.030.apk

P3v11.4.31_GoogleCamera_6.2.024.apk

P3v11.4.2_GoogleCamera_6.2.024.apk

P3v11_GoogleCamera_6.2.024.apk

P3v10.1_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk
    -Add Xlib2 (another reduced contrast option) and modify to support Pixel 3 Portrait bokeh on Pixel 2
    -Add Portrait and Night Sight App Shortcuts from back.rider555

Known Issues on Android 8.1:
    -Tapping to focus breaks autofocus. Exiting camera or switching modes/cameras fixes this.
    -Night Sight will crash the very first time you use it after installation. It appears to run just fine after that until you Clear Data of the app.

P3v9.1_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk
    -Disable HDR+ mode resetting for Pixel 1 when opening Camera
    -Add "reduce contrast" option which loads a custom lib by Savitar to reduce black crush a little bit. I have not tested in all conditions. Feel free to test at your own discretion and provide your thoughts with comparison pics.

-Tapping to focus breaks autofocus. Exiting camera or switching modes/cameras fixes this.
    -Night Sight will crash the very first time you use it after installation. It appears to run just fine after that until you Clear Data of the app.

P3v9_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk
    -Revert default color accent to Google Blue by popular request
    -Fix HDR+ mode resetting for Pixel 1
    -Exif fix (big thanks to @Arnova8G2 for helping)
    -Fix Night Sight for Android 8.1 (big thanks to BSG)

P3v8.6_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk
    -Change default color accent to Google Green
    -Add P3 Mod Settings>Permanent Night Sight Suggestion
    --Provides an always on button to enter Night Sight
    -If P3 Mod Settings toggles are changed, the camera will restart automatically to apply the changes (be careful if HDR+ is Processing) (thanks @fu24 / namok)
    -Night Sight viewer is black. There is a fix for this but then it requires Flash to be set to Auto/On for it to work properly. I don't use Flash ever so this is not a good option to me at the moment. I opted for the black screen until a fix can be found. Thanks for understanding. Wait until the focus ring is gone, or choose your focus in the Focus Option on the top right, then click the photo.

P3v8.5_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk
    -Cleaned up P3 Mod Settings. Settings not relevant for Android 8.1 are removed, and PVC toggle is removed for non-Pixel 2/3.
    -Add P3 Mod Settings>HDR+ Enhanced for Portrait toggle. This increases dynamic range, at the cost of shutter delay. Force close the app is required for the setting to change. (Credit to BSG for the method)
    -Tried to adjust some stuff for Wear remote shutter support but I need a proper log if there's issues still.

P3v8_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk
    Must uninstall old version due to signature change.
    -Support for Android 8.1 (referenced BSG's latest versions)
    -Settings>P3 Mod Settings
    --Toggles to switch Photo viewers (Classic or Google Photos), Enable Pixel Visual Core for ZSL HDR+, Disable Learning Based AWB in HDR Enhanced, & Disable Tracking Autofocus. The last 2 options only work on Android 9, so the toggles don't do anything for Android 8.1
    -Night Sight viewer is black. There is a fix for this but then it requires Flash to be set to Auto/On for it to work properly. I don't use Flash ever so this is not a good option to me at the moment. I opted for the black screen until a fix can be found. Thanks for understanding. Wait until the focus ring is gone, or choose your focus in the Focus Option on the top right, then click the photo.

P3v7_GoogleCamera_6.1.021.apk

P3v6_GoogleCamera_6.1.013.apk
    Uninstall old version. This has a different package name (to fix Lens). The new app is in your app drawer labeled CameraP3.
    -Lens option in More
    -Pixel 3 Portrait mode (which seems to only improve the rear lens Portraits, so no improvement on Pixel 1 probably)
    -Removed HDR+ Options for now due to bugs/instability/confusion

Only tested on Pixel 2. I don't have a Pixel 1 to test with to offer fixes for.

P3v5_GoogleCamera_6.1.013.apk
    -Add workaround for Pixel 1 rear Portrait (only works on human faces)
    Previous changelog:
    For all Pixel:
    -Enable Night Sight
    -Enable manual focus button in Night
    -Add HDR+ Config selection

Tested only on Pixel 2:
    -Enable focus tracking
    -Enable Photobooth
    -Video FPS options (Auto/30/60)
    -Google Lens Suggestions in Viewfinder
    -H265/HEVC toggle
    -Super Zoom (maybe??)
    -"New" HDR+ Enhanced (colors may differ in extreme tinted light conditions, test it out; this is how the Pixel 3 behaves see https://www.teknofilo.com/analisis-pixel-3-xl/4/)

P3v4_GoogleCamera_6.1.013.apk
    For all Pixel:
    -Enable Night Sight
    -Enable manual focus button in Night
    -Add HDR+ Config selection

Tested only on Pixel 2:
    -Enable focus tracking
    -Enable Photobooth
    -Video FPS options (Auto/30/60)
    -Google Lens Suggestions in Viewfinder
    -H265/HEVC toggle
    -Super Zoom (maybe??)
    -"New" HDR+ Enhanced (colors may differ in extreme tinted light conditions, test it out; this is how the Pixel 3 behaves see https://www.teknofilo.com/analisis-pixel-3-xl/4/)

FAQ
    Q: "I already have a Pixel, why do I need to use a GCam mod?"
    A: Here are the added benefits of Camera PX:

• All Pixels:
    • Ability to choose Camera, Portrait, or Night Sight as the default mode
    • Custom Lib options to reduce black crush, improve details, and/or increase clarity
    • Ability to choose 4K Time Lapse quality
    • Ability to choose zoom level in Portrait Mode of 1.2x or 2.0x (for the rear camera)
    • Ability to choose to enable HDR+ Enhanced for Portrait Mode
    • Option to have quicker access to Night Sight by "permanently" adding the little message at the bottom regardless of measured light (admittedly it disappears if you capture a photo in regular mode)
    • Option to increase shutter speed and frames in Night Sight for potentially "better" Night Sight photos
    • Option to disable the "Learning AWB" in HDR+ Enhanced/Night Sight
    • Option for manual shutter speed & ISO
    • Face warping is completely disabled

In addition to the above, these are the added features for specific devices (when compared to the stock app):

• Pixel 1:
    • Portrait Mode (only when a "human face" is detected, does not work on objects/animals like Pixel 2, 3, 3a)
    • Removes the HDR+ mode reset on launch or when leaving settings
    • Synthetic Fill Flash (brightens faces when there is a strong backlight)
    • Motion Photos & Top Shot (if you have the correct Google Photos APK installed)
    • HEVC option
    • Photobooth
    • Adds focus button in Night Sight (Auto/Near/Far)
    • Tracking Autofocus in Photo mode
    • Super Res Zoom sharpening algorithm

• Pixel 2:
    • "Learned Depth" for Portrait Mode which provides, usually, a more accurate depth detection and more pleasing bokeh
    • Top Shot (if you have the correct Google Photos APK installed)
    • HEVC option
    • Photobooth
    • Adds focus button in Night Sight (Auto/Near/Far)
    • Tracking Autofocus in Photo mode
    • Super Res Zoom sharpening algorithm

• Pixel 3:
    • -Adds 60ps option to top bar in Video mode

• Pixel 3a:

Q: Do I need to change any settings?
    A: This mod is optimized for the Pixels to run without changing any settings. There are some advanced settings in P3 Mod Settings. Experiment at your own will.

How to get Top Shot working?
    A: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=78186764&postcount=726

Thanks To/Credits
    B-S-G for fixes for Android 8.1
    Arnova8G2 for general help and other fixes as he comes up with them

XDA:DevDB Information
    [GCam] Camera PX for Google Pixel 1 / 2 / 3 / 3a / 4, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    cstark27, back.rider555, johngalt1

Version Information
    Beta

Created 2018-12-05
    Last Updated 2020-09-03
    PXv3.0

PXv3.0_GoogleCamera_7.2.010.apk
    Mirror: https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-cstark27/

As tested on a Pixel 2 (but mods were applied in a universal manner):

* Enable Astro mode for Pixel 1 & 2 (instructions (thanks @ins0mniac): https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=80678229&postcount=1507)
    * Enable Focus options in Night Sight (along with "infinity" - may be same as far)
    * Modded lib for Learned Depth in Portrait Mode (Pixel 2)
    * Enable Super Res Zoom while zoomed or in Night Sight (no zoom required) - this is like Pixel 3 stock
    * Enable auto timer (photobooth), it's in the selfie camera in the Timer options
    * Enable synthetic fill flash for Pixel 2 and enable SFF in Camera mode for 3a

More advanced options/features to come later, please don't ask about them...For now it's a quick mod for those who want an "upgraded stock"-like app for their Pixel 1 or 2.
    PXv4.0

Attention Pixel 2 users (and maybe Pixel 1, 3, 3a): it has been discovered that the Super Res Zoom Always On toggle that is enabled by default can cause undesirable effects in shadows and high contrast areas. It is advised to disable this option until an adjustment comes with a newer APK to separate the (2) included functions.

Hello guys. So this one is a bit exciting because @back.rider555, @johngalt1, and I were able to collaborate on this and deliver a mod with almost all previous features, some new ones, and as much support as we could muster and test for.

• Requirements:
    • Device: Google Pixel series (some other devices may work, but are not supported in the traditional sense - please do not post in this thread about non Pixel devices)

• Changelog: Initial release based off Google Camera 7.2.014. Supported features are shown in the image below. "Default" means your stock app already has this feature; "Y"/"OK" means this was added to the listed device; "N/A"/"Disabled" means the feature could not be enabled for the listed device, either because of unsolved crashes, missing hardware, or messing up a fundamental function.
      An extra shout out to marcello for the initial Lib Patcher, further implemented and tweaked by johngalt1, and Urnyx05 for some Android 9 fixes.

Some notable features:

Hold the camera switch icon for quick access to settings.

Lib Patcher: this can be used to modify certain parameters like sharpness and noise removal amount. The settings here will depend on what you like, there is no "best" setting. Please read the info in "Learn More" within the app under the enable button.

The max exposure setting can be adjusted but does not mean it will always choose this shutter speed. GCam will automatically detect certain parameters and choose the most optimal shutter speed. A stock Pixel 1 supports up to 2s, Pixel 2 up to 4s, Pixel 3/3a up to 12s, Pixel 4 up to 30s. Using Magisk Modules in post #2 can make this longer, but Google decided on 16s due to star trails and the perception of blur being about the limit around 16s. By default, this APK selects 12s for Pixel 3 and 3a as those devices support higher exposure times than the stock APK allows for Astro.

There are 2 buttons that can be added to Night Sight. Forced Astro mode, and Light Painting Mode. Use a tripod or tripod-like structure for Light Painting Mode or if the scene is really dark. Handheld will not be good.
    PXv4.3

An update from @back.rider555, @johngalt1, and myself.

• Requirements:
    • Device: Google Pixel series (please do not post in this thread about non Pixel devices)

• Changelog:
      • Add "PX" to EXIF software tag to help differentiate photos from PX Mod
      • Enable HDR+ Enhanced on Pixel 4 (turn on in Settings>Advanced)
      • Add manual exposure slider which will hide when appropriate. You must enable the slider in PX Mod Settings>Manual Exposure Control near the bottom. You must use Night Sight, Portrait Mode (with PX Mod Settings>Portrait HDR+ Enhanced), or Camera Mode (use HDR+ Enhanced).
    PXv4.1

An update from @back.rider555, @johngalt1, and myself.

• Requirements:
    • Device: Google Pixel series (some other devices may work, but are not supported in the traditional sense - please do not post in this thread about non Pixel devices)

• Changelog:
      • Adjusted SRZ Always On toggle and added Forced Merge Method option, to fix quality issues with certain devices. Forced Merge Method is not recommended and may degrade quality on some devices in certain high contrast scenes.
      • Enabled horizon level
      • Manipulate Non-ZSL Frame Count setting to allow up to 45 frames (more is not always better though)
      • "Tone Curve" added to Lib Patcher settings to adjust contrast/highlights/shadows (click Tap Here to Learn More for help)
      • Fix face warping bug on rear camera
      • Code cleanup and preferences cleanup