FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Aggressive Doze - New experimental feature for Marshmallow (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

1,355 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,914

By oasisfeng, Senior Member on 12th October 2015, 04:18 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
"Aggressive Doze" is one of the new experimental features exclusive for Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The best part is that it works on non-rooted device!

Once enabled in settings, your device will enter Doze Mode in minutes (instead of hours stationary normally) after the screen goes off if not charging, to improve its power-saving efforts.

Doze mode is a new power saving mechanism introduced in Android 6.0. In this mode, background behaviors of all apps (except white-listed ones) are strictly prohibited, until next user interaction or charging. The device will also periodically (in hours) exit doze mode briefly.

This is not the complete solution for a better Doze, currently it still cannot keep your device rest in doze if you are carrying it around. It is expected to maximize the power-saving effect of the stock Doze mode. (UPDATE: This "interruption by motion" behavior can be completely prevented in the newest version 2.9 beta, see FAQ.1 for details) Also it may break some background functionality of your daily apps if they are not developed with Android Doze in mind.

FAQ

When I'm moving around, the Aggressive Doze is not working?

Quote:

Android system uses a low power "Significant Motion Sensor" to track movement and exits Doze Mode if significant movement is detected. Aggressive Doze will not try to enter Doze after that, to avoid constantly entering and exiting Doze. Since the stock Doze is designed for battery-saving in stationary state, Android still wants to keep your apps in sync with fresh state if you are carrying it around.

In the new version 2.9 beta, this "interruption by motion" behavior can be prevented completely if "DUMP" permission is granted manually via USB-connected computer.

´╗┐Why is my device very lagging when wake from sleep after a few hours.

Quote:

This seems like a bad consequence of Android Doze Mode itself if too many apps are installed. Because Doze Mode effectively postpone all the background behaviors during the doze. The longer doze lasts, the more tasks to do when exiting. Consider greenifying more background-itchy apps to reduce the lag, because hibernation is still the essential solution for them.

Aggressive Doze is not working sometimes, but again working later.

Quote:

Check whether there's a alarm clock in less than an hour, by looking for an alarm icon in the status bar. But the icon won't tell you the time of the alarm. You may click the DND tile in the quick launch panel to find out the actual time of the alarm (in the entry with "until next alarm"). This is because Android system refuses to enter doze mode if an scheduled alarm is in less than an hour.

Why I can't find this option in settings? My device is on Android 6.0.

Quote:

Aggressive Doze in Greenify v2.8 should work on all devices with Android 6+, unless the Doze Mode is explicitly disabled by the ROM. If you are using a custom ROM made by community, ask the
ROM modder to enable this flag in the ROM:

Code:
com.android.internal.R.bool.config_enableAutoPowerModes
UPDATE: Since 2.9 beta 1, even if doze is disabled in ROM, Greenify can still activate doze mode after DUMP permission is granted manually via USB-connected computer. Beware, this may break things since the ROM is not made to be compatible with Doze.

The Following 88 Users Say Thank You to oasisfeng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oasisfeng Ad-Free

12th October 2015, 04:45 PM |#2  
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 4,250

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisfeng

Within the new version 2.8 beta (rolling out), there's an early attempt for better Doze mode in control. It currently activate doze mode as early as the screen goes off, and deactivate it when the screen is back on or the charger is connected.

It is surely not the complete solution for a better Doze mode. It is expected to maximize the power-saving effect of Doze mode, but may also break some background functionality of your apps. So I'm listening to all your feedback and opinions, to build a smarter and finer-tweaked Doze mode in Android 6.0.

Together with the "Shallow Hibernation" released in version 2.7, let's start a new adventure of Greenify with Android Marshmallow.

Thanks buddy! Lets start again
12th October 2015, 06:20 PM |#3  
Flag encino
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Hi Oasis, I tried to perform the steps you gave but I am getting the following error
/system/bin/sh: grant: not found

this happens when I try to run the first command to grant DUMP permissions. My Nexus 5 is not rooted and ADB is running and fully up to date.

Edit: for anyone experiencing this issue try the following

1. After checking "adb devices" run "adb shell"
2. Type "pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenfiy android.permission.DUMP"
3. Type "pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenify android.permission.READ_LOGS"
The Following User Says Thank You to shakuyi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shakuyi Ad-Free
12th October 2015, 07:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Hello,

First of all, i'm happy with the donation version!

With this new feature there's a thing I've noticed right away. Apparently doze works with all the apps, including whatsapp, which is the app i use the most.

When doze it's activated messages arrive in intervals and it's not that reliable. Anyways, when doze activates by itself, i'm ok with the messages getting delayed, because i'm actually not using the phone. The thing with the integration through greenify, is that messages stop arriving right away.

Do you think there could be a way to kind of "bypass" certain applications? If it's possible it would work like stamina mode from Sony.

Anyways, it's just a comment... I like the instant doze since doze really helps with battery!
13th October 2015, 01:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 248

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanco2701

Hello,

With this new feature there's a thing I've noticed right away. Apparently doze works with all the apps, including whatsapp, which is the app i use the most.

When doze it's activated messages arrive in intervals and it's not that reliable. Anyways, when doze activates by itself, i'm ok with the messages getting delayed, because i'm actually not using the phone. The thing with the integration through greenify, is that messages stop arriving right away.

Do you think there could be a way to kind of "bypass" certain applications? If it's possible it would work like stamina mode from Sony.

Anyways, it's just a comment... I like the instant doze since doze really helps with battery!

+1
In the developer preview of 6.0 you could exclude apps from being doze'd. Such an option would be great in Greenify as well, since messages don't wake up the phone with activated aggressive doze
13th October 2015, 03:33 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakuyi

Hi Oasis, I tried to perform the steps you gave but I am getting the following error
/system/bin/sh: grant: not found

this happens when I try to run the first command to grant DUMP permissions. My Nexus 5 is not rooted and ADB is running and fully up to date.

Edit: for anyone experiencing this issue try the following

1. After checking "adb devices" run "adb shell"
2. Type "pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenfiy android.permission.DUMP"
3. Type "pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenify android.permission.READ_LOGS"

Sorry for the typo, I just corrected it in the online guide. Thanks for the report.
The Following User Says Thank You to oasisfeng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oasisfeng Ad-Free
13th October 2015, 03:37 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanco2701

Hello,

If WhatsApp uses GCM for instant message push, then maybe the developer has not yet adopted for the priority GCM push which goes through in the Doze mode. This is what Google suggests all IM message to use.
I'll try to work around this issue, maybe allow all GCM push to exit doze mode for a while.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oasisfeng For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oasisfeng Ad-Free
13th October 2015, 03:39 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarques01

+1
In the developer preview of 6.0 you could exclude apps from being doze'd. Such an option would be great in Greenify as well, since messages don't wake up the phone with activated aggressive doze

You can still do that in Android 6.0 final version, but highly discouraged.
13th October 2015, 02:36 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Today I got Greenify 2.8 beta 1, but still my apps aren't greenified.

Edit: I reinstalled Greenify and su asked me for permission, now it works, thank you.

Best regards

Matthias
13th October 2015, 03:54 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 37

More
If we are rooted does it still require the one-time procedure or can we just install as normal?
The Following User Says Thank You to rhouse1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rhouse1983 Ad-Free
13th October 2015, 06:00 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 198

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by oasisfeng

Within the new version 2.8 beta (rolling out), there's an early attempt for better Doze mode in control. It currently activate doze mode as early as the screen goes off, and deactivate it when the screen is back on or the charger is connected.

The best part of this feature - NO ROOT REQUIRED! Still you need to perform a one-time procedure with USB-cable and a connected computer, which is surely familiar to many of you XDA members.

This is not the complete solution for a better Doze mode. It is expected to maximize the power-saving effect of Doze mode, but may also break some background functionality of your apps. So I'm listening to all your feedback and opinions, to build a smarter and finer-tweaked Doze mode in Android 6.0.

Together with the "Shallow Hibernation" released in version 2.7, let's start a new adventure of Greenify with Android Marshmallow.

Oasisfeng, what's the normal amount of time before doze activates? Would it perhaps be better to have an option to set the amount of minutes after screen off to start the aggresive Doze?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Smultie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Smultie Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)