[GUIDE] Aggressive Doze - New experimental feature for Marshmallow (NO ROOT REQUIRED)

Search This thread

badtlc

Jan 28, 2013
KC
I'm not sure if it's even needed on Android 12 & probably depends on whether or not you're running a stock Rom or Custom Rom.
Certainly doesn't seem to be necessary on Stock UnRooted Samsung.

I'm on a Pixel 4a with stock Android 12. It has terrible standby battery life. It needs all the help it can get. Standard Android from 11+ has been a battery nightmare. The only thing I have found that was as good as pre-android 11 releases is GrapheneOS 12. Battery life is superb with that ROM.

Hitti2

I am on android 11, using greenify 4.7.5 + donation package play store, I had to uninstall greenify, install it, go through setup process, from the main screen select settings and leave it there, then issue these cmds through adb

Code:
adb -d shell pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenify android.permission.DUMP

adb -d shell pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenify android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

adb -d shell pm grant com.oasisfeng.greenify android.permission.READ_LOGS

tap on doze setting and enable it, go back to settings and enable or disable what ever you want.

now make sure you have what you want because next time try go into settings is the black screen.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if it worked for you.

Reactions: sleepyg72786

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    "Aggressive Doze" is one of the new experimental features exclusive for Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The best part is that it works on non-rooted device!

Once enabled in settings, your device will enter Doze Mode in minutes (instead of hours stationary normally) after the screen goes off if not charging, to improve its power-saving efforts.

Doze mode is a new power saving mechanism introduced in Android 6.0. In this mode, background behaviors of all apps (except white-listed ones) are strictly prohibited, until next user interaction or charging. The device will also periodically (in hours) exit doze mode briefly.

This is not the complete solution for a better Doze, currently it still cannot keep your device rest in doze if you are carrying it around. It is expected to maximize the power-saving effect of the stock Doze mode. (UPDATE: This "interruption by motion" behavior can be completely prevented in the newest version 2.9 beta, see FAQ.1 for details) Also it may break some background functionality of your daily apps if they are not developed with Android Doze in mind.

FAQ

When I'm moving around, the Aggressive Doze is not working?

Android system uses a low power "Significant Motion Sensor" to track movement and exits Doze Mode if significant movement is detected. Aggressive Doze will not try to enter Doze after that, to avoid constantly entering and exiting Doze. Since the stock Doze is designed for battery-saving in stationary state, Android still wants to keep your apps in sync with fresh state if you are carrying it around.

In the new version 2.9 beta, this "interruption by motion" behavior can be prevented completely if "DUMP" permission is granted manually via USB-connected computer.

Why is my device very lagging when wake from sleep after a few hours.

This seems like a bad consequence of Android Doze Mode itself if too many apps are installed. Because Doze Mode effectively postpone all the background behaviors during the doze. The longer doze lasts, the more tasks to do when exiting. Consider greenifying more background-itchy apps to reduce the lag, because hibernation is still the essential solution for them.

Aggressive Doze is not working sometimes, but again working later.

Check whether there's a alarm clock in less than an hour, by looking for an alarm icon in the status bar. But the icon won't tell you the time of the alarm. You may click the DND tile in the quick launch panel to find out the actual time of the alarm (in the entry with "until next alarm"). This is because Android system refuses to enter doze mode if an scheduled alarm is in less than an hour.

Why I can't find this option in settings? My device is on Android 6.0.

Aggressive Doze in Greenify v2.8 should work on all devices with Android 6+, unless the Doze Mode is explicitly disabled by the ROM. If you are using a custom ROM made by community, ask the
    ROM modder to enable this flag in the ROM:
    Code:
    com.android.internal.R.bool.config_enableAutoPowerModes
    UPDATE: Since 2.9 beta 1, even if doze is disabled in ROM, Greenify can still activate doze mode after DUMP permission is granted manually via USB-connected computer. Beware, this may break things since the ROM is not made to be compatible with Doze.
    I just managed to completely disabled the significant motion sensor during doze on my Nexus 5X, without root.
    Still there's a minor side effect I'm working on to eliminate. I'll update a new beta version when it's ready.
    2.9 beta 1 is pushed to beta channel with improved Aggressive Doze:

* Prevent Aggressive Doze from being interrupted by significant motion. (only tested on Nexus 5X, not sure whether it works on other devices)
    * Activate Aggressive Doze even if doze is disabled in ROM. (may break things since the ROM is not made to be compatible with Doze).

Both require DUMP permission to work. That means you need either root or manual granting DUMP permission (for non-root).
    Hello,

First of all, i'm happy with the donation version!

With this new feature there's a thing I've noticed right away. Apparently doze works with all the apps, including whatsapp, which is the app i use the most.

When doze it's activated messages arrive in intervals and it's not that reliable. Anyways, when doze activates by itself, i'm ok with the messages getting delayed, because i'm actually not using the phone. The thing with the integration through greenify, is that messages stop arriving right away.

Do you think there could be a way to kind of "bypass" certain applications? If it's possible it would work like stamina mode from Sony.

Anyways, it's just a comment... I like the instant doze since doze really helps with battery!

If WhatsApp uses GCM for instant message push, then maybe the developer has not yet adopted for the priority GCM push which goes through in the Doze mode. This is what Google suggests all IM message to use.
    I'll try to work around this issue, maybe allow all GCM push to exit doze mode for a while.
    He is talking about AD in general and wants the doze-periods manually adjustable ...

Doze mode have many adjustable parameters, which could be overwhelming for most users. If you use Doze Editor or similar tool, you should understand that.
    Tools should relief not increase the complication in the digital life. That's the spirit of Greenify - "forget and enjoy". Leave the complication of suitable solution to the developers behind.