FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

apps start afresh instead of resuming from where they hibernated

1,830 posts
Thanks Meter: 680

By devsk, Senior Member on 3rd March 2019, 07:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am trying to understand why apps restart instead of resuming from where they hibernated. I thought the point of Greenify was to not kill the app but to hibernate it and resume it later from the same point.

A simple case of reproduction of this is: start playing a puzzle in andoku, hibernate it in greenify and move back to it. It goes back to the main screen and not show the screen of that specific puzzle that I was solving before gibernate.

Is greenify even working?

4th March 2019, 07:48 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 1,240

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk

I am trying to understand why apps restart instead of resuming from where they hibernated. I thought the point of Greenify was to not kill the app but to hibernate it and resume it later from the same point.

A simple case of reproduction of this is: start playing a puzzle in andoku, hibernate it in greenify and move back to it. It goes back to the main screen and not show the screen of that specific puzzle that I was solving before gibernate.

Did you try the shallow hibernation or normal hibernation?
4th March 2019, 12:03 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 9,216

More
Quote:

Yes, Greenify is working on many (tens of) thousands of devices. Likely YOUR device, rom or kernel is aggressively clearing memory due to limited resources. What are you using?
4th March 2019, 05:09 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsmani

Did you try the shallow hibernation or normal hibernation?

I tried both but app restarts instead of resuming.
Quote:

Yes, Greenify is working on many (tens of) thousands of devices.

What's your definition of working? It runs and does something or works as in if an app is hibernated and started, it resumes. If its the latter, its clearly not working...
4th March 2019, 06:07 PM |#5  

More
Quote:

I tried both but app restarts instead of resuming.
What's your definition of working? It runs and does something or works as in if an app is hibernated and started, it resumes. If its the latter, its clearly not working...

Not going to engage on this level. Greenify stands on its own merrits.

If not happy with the results nor willing to share device/rom/config info that might help with 'problem' determination then it probably ain't the right tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
5th March 2019, 05:45 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Not going to engage on this level. Greenify stands on its own merrits.

If not happy with the results nor willing to share device/rom/config info that might help with 'problem' determination then it probably ain't the right tool.

Are you able to resume any app from EXACTLY the same spot as you hibernated it from, after you manually hibernate it?

Aggressive OS/ROM does not matter. We are talking about a single app, hibernate manually, try to resume right away. The example of andoku I gave is a small app which does not require a whole lot of memory. So, I should be able to resume it right after hibernating it.
5th March 2019, 10:55 AM |#7  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Flag Preserving Air Supremacy over XDA!
Thanks Meter: 6,487

More
Quote:

Are you able to resume any app from EXACTLY the same spot as you hibernated it from, after you manually hibernate it?

Aggressive OS/ROM does not matter. We are talking about a single app, hibernate manually, try to resume right away. The example of andoku I gave is a small app which does not require a whole lot of memory. So, I should be able to resume it right after hibernating it.

Just for interest, I'd downloaded and installed Andoku. Greenified Andoku. Played a few minutes and stopped within the game. Closed Andoku. Ensured Andoku was hibernated. Opened Andoku and was able to resume my game exactly at the point where I'd closed Andoku.
Just for completeness although most likely unimportant in this matter: Andoku had no internet access granted in AFWall+.

Personal conclusion: Greenify (currently on v4.6.3) works exactly and perfectly as advertised!

Personal remark: I concur with @Davey126. Unless you provide sufficient information about device, ROM, kernel and "configuration" (e.g. Magisk, Xposed, XprivacyLua, tools that restrict permissions, services, broadcast receiver etc.) most likely nobody is able to support you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oswald Boelcke For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Oswald Boelcke Ad-Free
5th March 2019, 11:50 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

Android hibernation is not the same as Windows hibernation. Resumability is not assured - especially on a resource constrained or highly 'tuned' ROM. You should probably read up on how it works and the primary objective of Greenify which is to suspend unwanted background activity. In that respect it shares many characteristics with doze.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
5th March 2019, 05:04 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

Just for interest, I'd downloaded and installed Andoku. Greenified Andoku. Played a few minutes and stopped within the game. Closed Andoku. Ensured Andoku was hibernated. Opened Andoku and was able to resume my game exactly at the point where I'd closed Andoku.

Did you use the pause/resume feature of the Andoku game or did you just click the game to start it again, and it resumed where you left off? Typically, if you resume using the game's feature, you have to click through 3 times to resume your game. If the app is resuming from where it left off, its 1 click just to start the game.

If you resumed the app as if you switched to it using app switcher, then something definitely is broken on my end.
Quote:

Just for completeness although most likely unimportant in this matter: Andoku had no internet access granted in AFWall+.

I do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswald Boelcke

Unless you provide sufficient information about device, ROM, kernel and "configuration" (e.g. Magisk, Xposed, XprivacyLua, tools that restrict permissions, services, broadcast receiver etc.) most likely nobody is able to support you.

I am stock Pixel 3 XL with Magisk 18.1 root. Nothing else. I have given all perms needed by greenify.
Quote:

Android hibernation is not the same as Windows hibernation.

I think this is where likely the disconnect is. I started using greenify several years ago (I have been here on these forums for a while, I keep that dated forum reference in my signature for remembering how far android and this community has come). If I recall correctly, I used to be able to resume apps, just by clicking or switching to them. Now, I notice a different behaviour: the app restarts from scratch. That's all. Obviously, I preferred the app to not start but resume like I was just switching to it.
5th March 2019, 11:57 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
I don't know if this is relevant in this case, but doesn't Greenify in non-root mode just force stop apps? I believe this to be the case because I can see it happening; i.e., when hibernation is triggered, for each app hibernated the app info screen briefly appears and the warning dialog about force stopping an app flashes on screen momentarily.
6th March 2019, 12:20 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliebean

I don't know if this is relevant in this case, but doesn't Greenify in non-root mode just force stop apps? I believe this to be the case because I can see it happening; i.e., when hibernation is triggered, for each app hibernated the app info screen briefly appears and the warning dialog about force stopping an app flashes on screen momentarily.

Correct. The equivalent happens on rooted devices just in a more efficient and largely transparent manner. If the ROM later opts to recover some/all of the resources consumed by the 'hibernated' app standard Android memory mgmt rules apply. In most cases that means only critical pointers are retained which may or may not contain sufficient information to resume from the point the app was in when last in the foreground.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)