Thanks Meter: 680

By devsk, Senior Member on 3rd March 2019, 07:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th March 2019, 12:20 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 9,234

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliebean

I don't know if this is relevant in this case, but doesn't Greenify in non-root mode just force stop apps? I believe this to be the case because I can see it happening; i.e., when hibernation is triggered, for each app hibernated the app info screen briefly appears and the warning dialog about force stopping an app flashes on screen momentarily.

Correct. The equivalent happens on rooted devices just in a more efficient and largely transparent manner. If the ROM later opts to recover some/all of the resources consumed by the 'hibernated' app standard Android memory mgmt rules apply. In most cases that means only critical pointers are retained which may or may not contain sufficient information to resume from the point the app was in when last in the foreground.

6th March 2019, 02:35 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

Correct. The equivalent happens on rooted devices just in a more efficient and largely transparent manner. If the ROM later opts to recover some/all of the resources consumed by the 'hibernated' app standard Android memory mgmt rules apply. In most cases that means only critical pointers are retained which may or may not contain sufficient information to resume from the point the app was in when last in the foreground.

But AIUI, force stopping an app is essentially killing the app process. So for the app to start afresh when next launched, rather than resuming from where it was left, would be expected behaviour.

Is Greenifying an app functionally better than disabling Background Activity from the app's Battery Usage page (a new setting in Oreo)? IWHT the latter achieves the same result but without killing the app.
6th March 2019, 05:54 PM |#13  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 680

More
I am running root mode. So, let's not talk about non-root mode.

If a hibernated app is going to restart from scratch instead of resume, I might as well just clear all apps (that I fed to Greenify) on screen off with 5 min delay using tasker/automate. Why bother with anything else?

The point of Greenify was to be able to resume the app after hibernate as if you just switched to it. This used to work, I have tested it in the past. Not anymore though.
6th March 2019, 10:18 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 9,234

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliebean

But AIUI, force stopping an app is essentially killing the app process. So for the app to start afresh when next launched, rather than resuming from where it was left, would be expected behaviour.

Is Greenifying an app functionally better than disabling Background Activity from the app's Battery Usage page (a new setting in Oreo)? IWHT the latter achieves the same result but without killing the app.

Well, no ... but this is not the place for that discussion. Not going to get into Android 101 or validating speculation around various actions.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk

I am running root mode. So, let's not talk about non-root mode.

If a hibernated app is going to restart from scratch instead of resume, I might as well just clear all apps (that I fed to Greenify) on screen off with 5 min delay using tasker/automate. Why bother with anything else?

The point of Greenify was to be able to resume the app after hibernate as if you just switched to it. This used to work, I have tested it in the past. Not anymore though.

Sorry it is not working with your device/kernel/ROM/root solution. Could be an adverse interaction with the doze mechanisms in Android 9, aggressive memory management settings (eg: VM, LMK), resource mapping of the app(s) you are trying to hibernate, etc. I have not see a lot of feedback from Pie users as doze generally addresses rogue background activity and corresponding power drain. So the behavior may be different on that platform. I use Greenify on a variety of devices for other reasons for which it continues to work well. Just another tool in shop; appropriate selection is the key to success. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)