FORUMS

Is Greenify recommended with Android 9 Pie

340 posts
Thanks Meter: 47

By C5Longhorn, Senior Member on 12th November 2018, 01:51 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a Pixel 2 XL with Android 9 Pie. I'm wondering is there still a benefit to using Greenify with all the battery management functionality built into 9?

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
12th November 2018, 10:56 AM |#2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 3,033

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Longhorn

I have a Pixel 2 XL with Android 9 Pie. I'm wondering is there still a benefit to using Greenify with all the battery management functionality built into 9?

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk

My personal recommendation is 'no'. Usually it is recommended when you have some app which runs riot in the background and there is no other way to control it. I find the implementation of Doze in Pie to be impressive and my suit of apps don't have any misbehaving app.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TNSMANI For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TNSMANI Ad-Free
12th November 2018, 03:03 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Thanks for the reply. Is the best way to check for rogue apps to just check the battery usage stats in settings?
13th November 2018, 08:39 AM |#4  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5Longhorn

Thanks for the reply. Is the best way to check for rogue apps to just check the battery usage stats in settings?

It is one of the ways to check for the actors in the drain scenario. A deeper analysis will require something like BetterBatteryStats from PlayStore.
10th December 2018, 08:05 PM |#5  
Flag Nainital
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I have an issue on pie if i wake up my device after 2 to 3 hrs it works like snail until i reboot my device. I dont think its memory issue as the ram us 4gb onboard and after wakup i checked it was around 1.8gb free. Please provide workaround.
Device- Yureka Black
Rom- LR
11th December 2018, 05:09 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 9,936

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuruth

Please provide workaround.
Device- Yureka Black
Rom- LR

Workaround: don't use Greenify; problem solved.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
11th December 2018, 08:35 AM |#7  
Forum Moderator
Flag Chennai

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by papuruth

I have an issue on pie if i wake up my device after 2 to 3 hrs it works like snail until i reboot my device. I dont think its memory issue as the ram us 4gb onboard and after wakup i checked it was around 1.8gb free. Please provide workaround.
Device- Yureka Black
Rom- LR

If you read the posts above yours, you will understand the comment of Davey126. Already Doze is near perfect in Pie and adding Greenify to the pot and further restricting apps through it, is likely to cause the behaviour that you are complaining of.

If you must still use Greenify, reduce the number of apps controlled by it to the minimum (only those definitely identified as rogues).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TNSMANI For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TNSMANI Ad-Free
17th January 2019, 12:02 AM |#8  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 838

More
I stopped installing Greenify in 8.1, theres literally no point the memory management has evolved to a point now where its just adding complexity/cycles and RAM usage and acting in the reverse of your best interests - the opposite of what it used to do.

It was great in the past, but now its surplus to demands
17th January 2019, 12:35 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sydney

I stopped installing Greenify in 8.1, theres literally no point the memory management has evolved to a point now where its just adding complexity/cycles and RAM usage and acting in the reverse of your best interests - the opposite of what it used to do.

It was great in the past, but now its surplus to demands

While I concur with most of your statements (including adding potentially unnecessary complexity) I have yet to experience significant resource loading attributable to Greenify. It resides on most my gizmos and serves as an overt check on apps that remain within the bounds of doze but exhibit behaviors that I find undesirable and/or consume unwanted cycles. The offenses are far more reserved than in the past but still annoying. That said, Greenify is clearly not needed on the vast majority of consumer devices running Android 7+.
17th January 2019, 02:01 AM |#10  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 838

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey126

While I concur with most of your statements (including adding potentially unnecessary complexity) I have yet to experience significant resource loading attributable to Greenify. It resides on most my gizmos and serves as an overt check on apps that remain within the bounds of doze but exhibit behaviors that I find undesirable and/or consume unwanted cycles. The offenses are far more reserved than in the past but still annoying. That said, Greenify is clearly not needed on the vast majority of consumer devices running Android 7+.

i guess the thing overlooked now that process/memory management is much better is that its kind of insane to be installing Greenify, and then having to exclude it from that process/memory management, so that it can do arguably a slightly worse job.....bit mad, and not the fault of Greenify, its users not using it properly (but its had that problem since it launched - people greenifying everything for example lol). Also not its fault is that people have gotten so used to installing it with every ROM flash, so its a learned habit, and they never try a ROM without it installed, so they never figure out they dont necessarily need it...

Im not trying to rubbish Greenify in any way at all, it was probably the first utility app i ever purchased right back when it first came out, and it did save my (and a millionty) other peoples bacon for years....i never regretted buying it, and thats not always been the case with utility app purchases...most have been next to useless!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 73sydney For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 73sydney Ad-Free
17th January 2019, 03:04 AM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sydney

i guess the thing overlooked now that process/memory management is much better is that its kind of insane to be installing Greenify, and then having to exclude it from that process/memory management, so that it can do arguably a slightly worse job.....bit mad, and not the fault of Greenify, its users not using it properly (but its had that problem since it launched - people greenifying everything for example lol). Also not its fault is that people have gotten so used to installing it with every ROM flash, so its a learned habit, and they never try a ROM without it installed, so they never figure out they dont necessarily need it...

Im not trying to rubbish Greenify in any way at all, it was probably the first utility app i ever purchased right back when it first came out, and it did save my (and a millionty) other peoples bacon for years....i never regretted buying it, and thats not always been the case with utility app purchases...most have been next to useless!

Yep - it's a tool that can still yield tangible benefits if used judiciously. Xposed extensions increase potency and sidesteps battery optimization woes. When Xposed isn't an option Greenify still works fine with simple adjustments. That said, I fully agree it is not needed on most modern devices/ROMs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DB126 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DB126 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)