FORUMS

Hibernate apps but they wake back up... Facebook for one

702 posts
Thanks Meter: 141

By nextelbuddy, Senior Member on 12th January 2015, 06:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
If I hibernate an app like Facebook, its hibernated.. why does it wake back up? how can it wake back up if I dont open it or call it or do anything to share to it etc...Makes no sense.

I am rooted with greenify installed, I hibernate Facebook. Facebook is set to no chat, no notifications, nothing.. it has everything you can disable disabled... yet time after time again of hibernating it, I wake my screen up and do a manual manual hibernation OR i open greenify and Facebook is right there under Apps that will be hibernated soon. i can see the message tha says "Facebook was hibernated when i do a manual hibernation but it always seems to come back on its own.
The Following User Says Thank You to nextelbuddy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nextelbuddy Ad-Free
13th January 2015, 10:21 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
There are quite a few apps which will wake up Facebook in the background. In particular, any apps which offer to allow you to sign in via a Facebook identity. Even though you might not have signed up via Facebook, those apps will often wake up FB anyway.

If you want to ensure FB doesn't wake up, then you need to install Xposed framework, enable the Greenify module in Xposed and then tick the option on Greenify for Wake-up Tracker and Cut-off. You can then disable having other apps open FB.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenmark69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenmark69 Ad-Free
15th January 2015, 11:51 AM |#3  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bergisches Land
Thanks Meter: 3,120

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmark69

There are quite a few apps which will wake up Facebook in the background. In particular, any apps which offer to allow you to sign in via a Facebook identity. Even though you might not have signed up via Facebook, those apps will often wake up FB anyway.

If you want to ensure FB doesn't wake up, then you need to install Xposed framework, enable the Greenify module in Xposed and then tick the option on Greenify for Wake-up Tracker and Cut-off. You can then disable having other apps open FB.

How can I disable other apps from waking up FB (or in general waking up other apps)? Via Greenify? Or do I need another app?
15th January 2015, 02:14 PM |#4  

More
You need to root, then look up the thread on xda on how to install Xposed framework.
Then enable Greenify on Xposed.
Then there is an option in Greenify to cut off the wake ups

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app
15th January 2015, 02:22 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bergisches Land

More
Quote:

You need to root, then look up the thread on xda on how to install Xposed framework.
Then enable Greenify on Xposed.
Then there is an option in Greenify to cut off the wake ups

All done before. But beside a text notification below the name of the greenified app stating which app woke up the greenified app there is no possibility to cut off those wake-ups.
15th January 2015, 02:27 PM |#6  

More
If you highlight FB on Greenify there should appear a scissors icon on the top left.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greenmark69 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift greenmark69 Ad-Free
15th January 2015, 02:37 PM |#7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bergisches Land

More
Quote:

If you highlight FB on Greenify there should appear a scissors icon on the top left.

Ah, yes. This was the option I was looking for. Thank you

For other users facing the same problem: selecting the app that has been woken up (still running, not yet greenified) by long-press -> clicking on the appearing scissor symbol in the action bar will open a pop up notification where you have to confirm you want to prevent this greenified app from being woken up by other apps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Portgas D. Ace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Portgas D. Ace Ad-Free
15th January 2015, 10:05 PM |#8  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orville87

Ah, yes. This was the option I was looking for. Thank you

For other users facing the same problem: selecting the app that has been woken up (still running, not yet greenified) by long-press -> clicking on the appearing scissor symbol in the action bar will open a pop up notification where you have to confirm you want to prevent this greenified app from being woken up by other apps.

can u post the screenshot as i m not able to see scissor sign. phone rooted and have xposed.
16th January 2015, 06:50 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bergisches Land

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadtariq73

can u post the screenshot as i m not able to see scissor sign. phone rooted and have xposed.

Hmm, quite difficult to take a screenshot, as I can't find another app on my device which wakes up other apps as I have already cut off all such apps.

Try the following steps:

1. Open an app of which you know that it wakes up FB.
2. Close this app or go back to your homescreen.
3. Open Greenify and go to the section, where all apps that are greenified are shown (not the section where you can add apps to be greenified!) -> should be start page by default.
4. Now you should see that the app you have opened is running, but also FB, which has been woken up by this app.
5. Long press on the FB entry.
6. Now the scissor symbol should appear in the action bar and you can prevent FB from being woken up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Portgas D. Ace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Portgas D. Ace Ad-Free
17th January 2015, 12:13 AM |#10  
Flag Lahore
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orville87

Hmm, quite difficult to take a screenshot, as I can't find another app on my device which wakes up other apps as I have already cut off all such apps.

Try the following steps:

1. Open an app of which you know that it wakes up FB.
2. Close this app or go back to your homescreen.
3. Open Greenify and go to the section, where all apps that are greenified are shown (not the section where you can add apps to be greenified!) -> should be start page by default.
4. Now you should see that the app you have opened is running, but also FB, which has been woken up by this app.
5. Long press on the FB entry.
6. Now the scissor symbol should appear in the action bar and you can prevent FB from being woken up.

thanks, but see SS no scissor sign
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10928731_10202700776874149_852812695_n.jpg
Views:	3494
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	3118850  
17th January 2015, 07:41 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Bergisches Land

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadtariq73

thanks, but see SS no scissor sign

Try short press instead of long press during step 5.

BTW: make sure you have enabled Greenify in Xposed modules, rebooted your device afterwards and enabled the option "Track and Cut Off" in Greenify's experimental options.
The Following User Says Thank You to Portgas D. Ace For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Portgas D. Ace Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)