Toubleshooting Guide for GCM Wake-up

Search This thread

gggg

Jun 18, 2012
2.7 final not working together with whatsapp

Try setting your working mode to Boost.

nothing helps... root, xposed boost, no deep hibernate
I enable data once every hour for 3 minutes with Llama (like Tasker). As soon as apps are in "ZZZ" I dont get GCM push messages. But gsync still works. So I thought I will wake up e.g. whatsapp with Llama and the locale plugin supplied from greenify.

But the locale plugin wakeup from greenify also does not wake up the app. If I press the "play button" in greenify its awake immediately.
Can I start any androide intent to wake up GSM,... ??? Any ideas very welcome ;)

Last edited:

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
nothing helps... root, xposed boost, no deep hibernate
I enable data once every hour for 3 minutes with Llama (like Tasker). As soon as apps are in "ZZZ" I dont get GCM push messages. But gsync still works. So I thought I will wake up e.g. whatsapp with Llama and the locale plugin supplied from greenify.

But the locale plugin wakeup from greenify also does not wake up the app. If I press the "play button" in greenify its awake immediately.
Can I start any androide intent to wake up GSM,... ??? Any ideas very welcome ;)

You did activate Greenify within the Xposed module section, right? Without this, the experimental features won't work at all.

The latest version of Greenify (v2.7) should have solved the issue with apps not waking up when done by its plugin for third-party apps like Llama and Tasker (according to the change log). Therefore: update Greenify and try again. Concerning the GCM feature: it seems that for some apps like Whatsapp or Telegram this does not work properly. So don't greenify those apps. It is more or less a trial and error to set up Greenify according to your personal preferences. I do not have Whatsapp whitelisted, for example. But other apps like my email app work flawlessly.

gggg

Jun 18, 2012
2.7 final not working together with whatsapp

I am on 4.4.4., greenify 2.7. final, root, xposed boost, no deep hibernate ... and all i have written applies to whatsapp ...

1. Why do app "wake" and "sleep" just work from greenify itself, but not from the locale plugin ... if this could be fixed everything would be fine ;)

Does anybody know an alternative way to wake it ... e.g. using an androide-intent ...

2. I just tried an alternative way: As said I enable data once per hour for some minutes. So I started whatsapp when I enable data (all from Llama). Works fine ... so then I thought when I disable data I send "all greenified" to ZZZ using the locale plugin. But that also does not work. Greenify states that UI was woken xx:yyy.
It also doesnt go to sleep as usual after 3 minutes this way.
What works though is first killing whatsapp with Llama and then using locale plugin to explicitly send "Whatsapp" (not all) to sleep

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

Would be nice to have some reaction ... I provided logs already on last page (of course they are oudated because of the new version in the meantime), but the prob stays ... and I am willing to help with additional logs ;)

Last edited:

gggg

Jun 18, 2012
What do the following intents do .. how could I use them from Llama/Tasker ?
Broadcast:
com.oasisfeng.greenify.intent.action.Hibernate
com.twofourtyfouram.locale.intent.FIRE_SETTING

WakeupObserver:
com.oasisfeng.greenify.action.APP_WAKEUP
com.oasisfeng.greenify..ACTION.APP_WAKEUP

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Broadcast:

WakeupObserver:
You may have a problem. But that doesn't give you a license to post it all over the place. I have already read three different sub threads where you have posted the same thing.
Stop it and observe some etiquette.

Reactions: gggg

Packsman

Aug 1, 2011
Beograd
@oasisfeng first of all thank you for the great app. I want to report a bug when using cm account phone finder service. I installed greenify but didn't hibernate any app, I just checked the option ''GCM push for greenified apps'' and then I find out that cm account phone finder service is broken. Without this option checked, the service is working and locating my phone instantly.
Device model: LG Nexus 4
ROM: Cyanogenmod cm 12.1
Android version: 5.1.1
Working mode of Greenify (Root or Boost): Boost
Is "Deep Hibernation" also enabled: No

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-06-10-10-21.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-06-10-10-21.png
    129.1 KB · Views: 477
  • Screenshot_2015-09-06-13-02-01.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-06-13-02-01.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

danzel

May 5, 2004
Device model: LG G3
ROM: Stock Lollipop
Android version: 5.0.1

WeChat doesn't do GCM push when greenified.

Last edited:

danzel

May 5, 2004
Device model: LG G3
ROM: Stock Lollipop
Android version: 5.0.1

WeChat doesn't do GCM push when greenified.

This is bad... really bad... this must go to sleep... hibernate... greenified... (tencent is wechat)

1443894456765.jpg

Sent from my LG-D858HK using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

mazzy90

Oct 22, 2015
Redmi Note 8
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Facebook app and Messenger.

When both apps are greenified and my phone screen is off, I can't receive push notifications. Then, if I turn on my screen the notification appears and if I go to Greenify I can see that my app was awaken by push since XX min.

So basically, the apps actually receives the push but it is not able to show the notification when the screen is off.

When apps are not greenified, no problem, push notifications work great even with screen off. This problem occurs only with Facebook app and messenger, others greenified apps with push notifications work great.

I am root with xposed on a S4 mini with CM 12.1. I use the latest version of Greenify with donation package. I tried the latest beta but the problem still occurs. I also tried to uninstall/install Facebook app and Messenger.

Just one more thing, everything was working great last week. Is it possible Facebook changes something in their apps in the last update ? If yes, is someone facing the same problem ?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Hi guys,

I have a problem with my Facebook app and Messenger.

When both apps are greenified and my phone screen is off, I can't receive push notifications. Then, if I turn on my screen the notification appears and if I go to Greenify I can see that my app was awaken by push since XX min.

So basically, the apps actually receives the push but it is not able to show the notification when the screen is off.

When apps are not greenified, no problem, push notifications work great even with screen off. This problem occurs only with Facebook app and messenger, others greenified apps with push notifications work great.

I am root with xposed on a S4 mini with CM 12.1. I use the latest version of Greenify with donation package. I tried the latest beta but the problem still occurs. I also tried to uninstall/install Facebook app and Messenger.

Just one more thing, everything was working great last week. Is it possible Facebook changes something in their apps in the last update ? If yes, is someone facing the same problem ?

Thanks for your help.

Facebook and its Messenger don't use GCM but their own push service (MQTT, as far as I remember). Therefore, they can't benefit from Greenify's GCM Push feature when they are greenified.

spleenandcigars

Nov 22, 2013
Governador Valadares
Altought i've purchased Donation Package, i'm running 4.4.4 and didn't checked the box "don't remove notifications", all the apps that i greenify is leaving its notification behind. Despite that, Facebook and Messenger keeps waking up. btw, donation package + xposed + root.
TVn5BLV.png

JiD9NDA.jpg

G

GuestK00316

So fb messenger using now MQTT push? any older apk using GCM ?

Using greenify 2.7.1 donation + boost mode.
All works but fb messenger dont show up when hibernated, when i turn sceen on it shows.

Last edited:

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Altought i've purchased Donation Package, i'm running 4.4.4 and didn't checked the box "don't remove notifications", all the apps that i greenify is leaving its notification behind. Despite that, Facebook and Messenger keeps waking up. btw, donation package + xposed + root.
http://i.imgur.com/TVn5BLV.png
http://i.imgur.com/JiD9NDA.jpg
Tick Don't Remove Notifications if you want Notifications.
Have you also ticked GCM Wakeup?

Facebook and Messenger use MQTT and not GCM push, so their Notifications may not be controlled by Greenify.

Last edited:

spleenandcigars

Nov 22, 2013
Governador Valadares
http://i.imgur.com/TVn5BLV.png
http://i.imgur.com/JiD9NDA.jpg
Tick Don't Remove Notifications if you want Notifications.
Have you also ticked GCM Wakeup?

Facebook and Messenger use MQTT and not GCM push, so their Notifications may not be controlled by Greenify.

The thing is: I don't want notifications. Not too long ago when I hibernated apps, they would completely vanish and now they leave it's notifications behind against my will and options.
Messenger and Facebook changed the way they operates? Didn't used to happen all those wake ups.

elia_11

Nov 24, 2015
Roma
Device : S6-G920F

Rom : WetaRom 9.3.1

Android v : 5.1.1

Working mode : Boost

6297bb4ade14c24f0c82f81a6085c4fe.jpg

Hi , I have Greenify v2.8 beta3 but have this problem : if I receive a notification by a hibernated app , this reopens and don't hibernates more . The only way to do is unlock the phone and hibernate the app manually

Inviato da Mountain View tramite Samsung Galaxy S6

TNSMANI

Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Device : S6-G920F

Rom : WetaRom 9.3.1

Android v : 5.1.1

Working mode : Boost

Hi , I have Greenify v2.8 beta3 but have this problem : if I receive a notification by a hibernated app , this reopens and don't hibernates more . The only way to do is unlock the phone and hibernate the app manually

Inviato da Mountain View tramite Samsung Galaxy S6
Is Greenify enabled in Settings>Security>Device Administrators?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    GCM wake-up is considered to be one of the most unreliable feature among the experimental features, thus still stuck as donation-only.
    There're many factors behind a working GCM push, and trouble with either may lead to the failure of the whole expectation.

Let's discuss the common misunderstandings first.

1. The GCM indicator in App Analyzer does not necessarily mean the app uses GCM for the very notification feature you are expecting.

The GCM indicator only means GCM-related code is in that app's package. But the app may use GCM only for some of its notifications, or only in some criterias, or even the worse, does not use at all. To find out the actual usage of GCM within an app, read the trouble shooting instructions below.

2. Not all notifications are backed by GCM push.

Most instant messaging apps and some social apps use hybrid implementation with GCM and persistent connection (in a background service) to deliver more reliable instant notification, than relying on GCM only. In this case, some of the notifications you have received may not even come from a GCM push.
    Hiberated apps lose its background service and thus fall-back to a GCM-only solution, effectively reducing the reliability of notification. If you noticed obvious delay or loss of some notifications after greenifying, it's probably the case.

3. The latency of GCM is affected by many factors, most notably how your carrier restrict the persistent connection.

The foundation implementation of GCM itself is also a persistent connection to Google's server. That means if your devices failed to keep this persistent connection, the latency of GCM is out of control. Carriers all over the world do restrict persistent connection to preserve their limited capability of signalling resources (not the bandwidth), by dropping connections idle for a while. GCM use periodic heartbeat packets to keep the persistent connection, but the default interval of 28 minutes for mobile network is far beyond the connection dropping threshold of some carriers (varying from minutes to hours), causing the persistent connection to drop frequently. As a result, GCM push may delay in minutes, or even half an hour. There's also a few carriers in the world even block the connections to Google's server in most time(China for example), causing GCM totally out of work.

To reduce latency caused by carrier restriction on persistent connection, try "Push Notification Fixer".

Now if you believe your app failed to wake up by a GCM push, follow these instructions to find the cause:

1. Open and monitor the logcat (Android log system), either on a USB-connected computer, or on your device with tool app like CatLog.

2. Set the filter to only include keyword (or tag) "GCM".

3. Let's trigger an expected GCM push (by sending an instant message from another device or so). You will soon read a line like this in logcat upon the arrival of GCM push:
    Code:
    I/GCM﹕ GCM message com.joaomgcd.autoremote 0:1426418730738334%0#02db4288f9fd7ecd
    This means Google Play services received the GCM message from Google's server and ready to deliver it to the corresponding app (indicated by the package name in the line, com.joaomgcd.autoremote in the example). If you cannot find this line in a reasonable time span, then it may be that app which lose the registion to GCM. Try logout and login your account, or clear the data of the app, or even uninstall and re-install it to restore its registration to GCM.

In all good situation, you should now receive the notification. If not, read on.

4. If the target app is hibernated before the arrive of GCM push and you have activated "GCM Wake-up" feature, then open Greenify ASAP (since it may hibernate again in a few minutes).

You will probably find that app is awake and listed in the "WILL HIBERNATE..." section. In this case, Greenify had managed to wake up the hibernated app and deliver the GCM message to it, but that app may failed to process it correctly and show a notification. This does happen to some apps which can't deal with GCM message upon wake-up. Try trigger another GCM push manually, if the notification shows up this time, that app falls into this category. It's hard to blame the developers for that, since they may not prepare for the arrival of GCM push when their background service is not running. So I'm still trying to figure out a better solution to make "GCM Wake-up" compatible with these apps.

5. If the app still stays hibernated, then the wake-up attempt might fail.

Back to the logcat, you probably read another line like this:
    Code:
    W/GCM-DMM﹕ broadcast intent callback: result=CANCELLED forIntent { act=com.google.android.c2dm.intent.RECEIVE pkg=com.joaomgcd.autoremote (has extras) }
    It means the push is not delivered successfully. If you did activated "GCM Wake-up" but still read this line, then it may be Greenify's fault, except if you have disabled the notification of that app in system Settings - Apps - That App - Show notifications (unticked). Greenify checks this setting before trying to wake-up an app to deliver GCM push.

Note: As a reference, try "AutoRemoteLite" with its web interface to trigger GCM push.
    Device:Xperia ZR C5502
    ROM:CM12 UNOFFICIAL by @xenius9 Link:https://yadi.sk/d/dTadZHj_fCZKN
    Greenify Donation Version 2.6 beta 6
    Boost Mode
    Deep Hibernation enabled.
    Logs attached

Tapped from my furious ZR ;)
    Broadcast:

WakeupObserver:
    You may have a problem. But that doesn't give you a license to post it all over the place. I have already read three different sub threads where you have posted the same thing.
    Stop it and observe some etiquette.
    Hi, I have donation package on my Z3 with Xposed and Boost mode activated. Apparently push notifiations are working fine in all my apps except on one of them, Facebook Messenger, anyone else is having issues with this one? Is there any way to fix push notifications on this app?

Facebook and its Messenger do not use Google Cloud Messaging (GCM), they implemented their own protocol (MQTT, as far as I remember). This way, you will loose push notifications of Facebook Messenger when you greenify it.
    Is there any workaround or fix to still receiving notifications as using Greenify?

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Well, it's some kind of curse with Facebook Messenger. It drains battery pretty much, but if you can't go without push, you have to leave it degreenified and thus live with the drain.

Two thoughts about it:

You can use Tasker to set up some kind of self-made push notification delivery by periodically (once per hour) waking FB Messenger to receive push notifications. But the constant wake-up/hibernation will cause quite some drain by itself.

As an alternative you could use Disa Messenger with its Facebook plugin instead of FB Messenger and check if this reduces your drain.

I have uninstalled FB and FB Messenger a long time ago and use alternative solutions such as Facebook Lite, which are more battery-friendly.