Banks app detects root after update v18.0 (with Magisk Hide and hidden Manager)

Search This thread

Adios2nd

Sep 9, 2018
Hi, thanks for reading.

I've used Magisk 17.3 with all my bank apps perfectly, with Magisk hide and Magisk manager hidden.
After update to 18.0 and update manager to 6.1, the bank apps start detecting root status, and stop working.

So, I've flashed back to 17.3 and old manager 6.0.1, and everything's back to working normally.

My system:
Poco F1
LineageOS 16.0 built 27/11/2018

The apps are from Thai's banks:
SCB EASY: detected root, still working
TMB Touch: detected root, stop working
KTB Next: detected root, working partially

If you'd want any log or anything, please also tell me how to get them.

hsiehboss

Dec 8, 2013
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hi, thanks for reading.

I've used Magisk 17.3 with all my bank apps perfectly, with Magisk hide and Magisk manager hidden.
After update to 18.0 and update manager to 6.1, the bank apps start detecting root status, and stop working.

So, I've flashed back to 17.3 and old manager 6.0.1, and everything's back to working normally.

My system:
Poco F1

1.restore magisk manager with original package.
2.disable hide app.
3.reboot.
4.rehide msgisk manager.
5.rehide app.
6.reboot.

it work for nexus 6p.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Arak0n

May 9, 2013
Can confirm that this works, thanks.
For me, it started getting detected on 17.x even before updating to 18, right after the banking app (Sparkasse) was updated.
LG G6.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018
2.disable hide app.
3.reboot.
4.rehide msgisk manager.
5.rehide app.
6.reboot.

it work for nexus 6p.

This didn't work for me. I had to downgrade back to 17.1 to get my banking app working again. Appears that the root detection prevention is a regression in this latest version.

-- SSS

Last edited:

Fallenwitcher

Sep 12, 2012
I flashed today the latest Los 15 build and the crt false error is till there after flashing magisk 18. The same error is also with 17.4...

Yurienu

Jan 28, 2017
Tell me if I'm wrong but I believe we have two different reports: the original report where root is detected, and the ctsProfile/basicIntegrity failing. The second one is a regression fixed by rebooting device (however, it is annoying to reboot 10 times a day because suddenly SafetyNet fails for no reason).

Ger$$on

Nov 12, 2014
I am using Magisk Hide Props module, and after 18.0 update Santander App detects root, even with Magisk Manager says I pass safetynet

amincom

Mar 13, 2010
It's happened with my bank app as it detected root & saftynet false and have to downgrade to ver.17.2

Sent from my SM-C900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zerlkung

Mar 28, 2014
See in install app delete old magisk manager, after install magisk 18.0 new magisk manager rename to manager.

Jun 29, 2014
I have same problem. After install v18 magisk, same bank app can detect the system is rooted. Downgrade to v17.2, all bank app become normal.

Harlock1978

Jun 8, 2013
Same here since Magisk 18 my BankApp (Intesa Sanpaolo) start and says that there is a safety problem and it close, if I choose Magiskhide it doesn't start at all.

SafetyNet check spin without an end.

With Magisk 17.1 and 17.3 no problem at all.

Reactions: Djtrip83

Harlock1978

Jun 8, 2013
After uninstalling and reinstalling my bankapp now works without any problem and doesn't detect root even if is not under Magisk hide

Reactions: Djtrip83

Djtrip83

Nov 25, 2014
London
I can confirm the v18 update breaks something and BOTH safety net checks fail. So all apps detect you are rooted, especially bank apps and Get Pay. Downgrading back to v17 restored everything to normal.

The only thing I could think of is the installation method. I did the direct install rather than installing the zip via recovery. Not sure if it makes a difference but I will wait for next release.

I am on a Pixel 2 with Android Pie updated to the Aug 2018 release.

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

After uninstalling and reinstalling my bankapp now works without any problem and doesn't detect root even if is not under Magisk hide

I did not uninstall but tried clearing bank app data and cache and the problem persisted. Magisk still showing all red for safetyNet. Just sharing testing feedback.

Djtrip83

Nov 25, 2014
London
I did that too. Toggled Hide on and off for all apps. Repackaged Magisk. Turned off USB debugging. Removed modules installed. Tried everything I thought would work. Even restored hosts in case Ad Away affected something on /system.

The only thing I did not do was remove root apps and re-install them to re-grant permissions after the Magisk update. And I wonder now if uninstalling Magisk completely and make a brand new clean install with v18 would work rather than upgrading.

I was at a loss so I downgraded. Sorry I don't have a log to share. However, v17 works fine.

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
I did that too. Toggled Hide on and off for all apps. Repackaged Magisk. Turned off USB debugging. Removed modules installed. Tried everything I thought would work. Even restored hosts in case Ad Away affected something on /system.

The only thing I did not do was remove root apps and re-install them to re-grant permissions after the Magisk update. And I wonder now if uninstalling Magisk completely and make a brand new clean install with v18 would work rather than upgrading.

I was at a loss so I downgraded. Sorry I don't have a log to share. However, v17 works fine.

We might be misunderstanding each other, but what I'm talking about is simply to go to the Manager settings and change the toggle for MagiskHide to off and then on. No need to do anything to the Hide list or anything else... Did you do that? As I said, that's sometimes something you the to do after an update, but it's rare.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Might help someone, my banking app started working after deleting Magisk manager.
    So basically do your normal hide, systemless etc in Magisk then delete the manager program. This will leave the modifications and modules in place but for me my banking app it then couldn't find root... Hope it helps someone! (Lenovo Z6 Pro running revenge ROS4 / A11)
    Hi, thanks for reading.

My system:
    Poco F1

Hi, thanks for reading.

My system:
    Poco F1

2.disable hide app.
    3.reboot.
    4.rehide msgisk manager.
    5.rehide app.
    6.reboot.

it work for nexus 6p.

@Didgeridoohan have you heard anything more on this Play Services dependency?

There's all kinds of discussions on Google Pay here (but the issue about MagiskHide being unreliable on Magisk v18.0 and v18.1 is probably not related):
    https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/discussion-google-pay-magisk-discussion-t3906703

There's nothing definitive though, not even about downgrading Play Services.

Suggested methods have included downgrading Play Services, removing Google stuff as device administrator, clearing data, restricting permissions for Play Services, updating or downgrading Magisk, etc, etc.

Noone has been able to show anything that is completely reproducible and reliable, yet...
    Might help someone, my banking app started working after deleting Magisk manager.
    So basically do your normal hide, systemless etc in Magisk then delete the manager program. This will leave the modifications and modules in place but for me my banking app it then couldn't find root... Hope it helps someone! (Lenovo Z6 Pro running revenge ROS4 / A11)
    Thanks, it works for HSBC Singapore app.