FORUMS

Bootloop after magisk update

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 20

By Dacraun, Junior Member on 1st September 2018, 09:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This morning, waking up I recieved the notification that a new magisk manager is available. I installed it as usual, except this time my device suddenly was not rooted anymore.
Si I press the install magisk button that pops up, it flashes magisk, and BAM. Phone restarts, and boot loop.
The phone's a OP5, android 7.1.1, and I had to do a factory reset twice before it would boot. Even using the magisk uninstaller did yield no results.

How come the phone suddenly got unrooted? Can I safely root it again now? Why wouldn't the first factory reset get it out of boot loop?
How can I prevent data loss in the future? Help?

Update 1 - Fun fact: After my two factory resets (what it took to reboot, since the uninstaller wouldn't flash right, fml.) and setting the phone up right now, my phone IS rooted with magisk 17.
So the flashing of magisk v17 worked. It just ****ed my phone so hard it needed a wipe to comprehend the immense power of the Magisk! (Yes, this is a slightly salty hyperbole, fix your updates!)

Update 2 - TimMayle managed to run the uninstaller and re-flashing magisk v17 on TWRP, try this if you have the issue. (While the uninstaller wouldn't work for me, that might be a device specific issue.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMayle

Hello,
I was on Magisk 16 and probably Manager 5.8.3.
Magisk 17 wouldn't flash from Magisk Manager. So I did flahs it in TWRP.
Then I was in bootloop.

In TWRPm I flashed magisk uninstaller to remove it completely and installed Magisk 17.
Bootloop Gone !
Tim

Update 3 - Thanks void74 for another potential procedure that might fix your issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by void74

I faced this problem too this morning.
I have a Redmi Note 5 with AOSiP ROM, I don't know if it's the right way to do it, but I solved the bootloop problem this way:

- volume up and then boot to TWRP
- copied magisk uninstall to phone memory
- installed magisk uninstall
- rebooted in fastboot/bootloader mode
- flashed original boot.img extracted from stock image zip file ("fastboot flash boot boot.img")
- rebooted to TWRP
- installed magisk 17.0 zip file
- rebooted to system, all OK!

Only problem is that I lost previous magisk configuration, but it's a snap to reconfigure it!

I hope I have saved some lives.

Update 4 - Thank you Shampinger for giving ups a Linux-specific variation on the steps to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shampinger

Same issue here on Redmi Note 5 global (whyred). Thanks to this thread I could fix it.
Steps (on Linux):
1. boot into fastboot (vol down + power)
2. from folder with your twrp zip run:

Code:
sudo fastboot boot twrp-x.x.x-x-whyred.img
there might be an easier way to boot into recovery without having to use the zip on your computer that I don't know about
3. copy Magisk uninstaller and Magisk v17 to phone (if not already there)
4. flash uninstaller zip
5. go back and flash Magisk v17 zip
6. reboot

Update 5 - While a fixed version is being perfected, Mangraviti summed up what you should do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangraviti

Here is what to do, if you HAVE NOT installed the new version:
1) Do not update via Magisk Manager.
2) Do not update via TWRP using the zip you can download via Magisk Manager.
3) Uninstall Magisk using Magisk uninstaller (ZIP).
4) Boot to Android.
5) Reboot to TWRP
6) Install V17 ZIP via TWRP and boot to Android.

If you HAVE INSTALLED and got a bootloop:
1) Download the uninstaller ZIP.
2) Enter TWRP during the bootloop.
3) Uninstall using the uninstaller ZIP.
4) Boot to Android.
5) Download V17.
6) Reboot to TWRP and flash the V17.
7) Boot to Android it it should be working.

Update 6 - If you have Wi-Fi issues after update v17, you can attempt what TAJ_Rocks has found out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAJ_Rocks

Found fix for dead wifi
Delete this p2p supplicant.conf supplicant made wifi a c#nt
Reboot after deleting

p2p supplicant.conf

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dacraun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dacraun Ad-Free
1st September 2018, 09:55 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
+1.

Exactly the same issue. The phone lost root and is now stuck in bootloop. How to recover? Any hopes of saving the data?

Please throw some light....
The Following User Says Thank You to shobhitk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shobhitk Ad-Free
1st September 2018, 09:59 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same issue here... bootloop after update. I wish I didn't update.
Oreo 8 on Huawei Nexus 6p.
1st September 2018, 10:11 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Same here on HTC U11 with Lineage 15.1
Feels bad man.
How do I fix?
GuestK0043
1st September 2018, 10:17 AM |#5  

More
I fixed bootloop by uninstalling magisk with magisk uninstaller. After that I installed v16
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
1st September 2018, 10:21 AM |#6  
Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 10,041

Donate to Me
More
Is this when updating from Magisk v16.0, Manager v5.8.3? What happens if you uninstall and install v17.0 clean?
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
1st September 2018, 10:25 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Same here (bootloop) after update from 16 to 17. I used unnistaller but ended in fastboot after reboot
Had to install rom and v17 to work.

Redmi Note 5 Pro MIUI 9.6.4.0 Global
The Following User Says Thank You to fpaolo2003 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fpaolo2003 Ad-Free
1st September 2018, 10:25 AM |#8  

More
Same thing on s7 with Android 7.0 , now I'm resetting the device.
1st September 2018, 10:25 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member

More
Fun fact: After my two factory resets (what it took to reboot, since the uninstaller wouldn't flash right, fml.) and setting the phone up right now, my phone IS rooted with magisk 17.
So the flashing of magisk v17 worked. It just ****ed my phone so hard it needed a wipe to comprehend the immense power of the Magisk! (Yes, this is a slightly salty hyperbole, fix your updates!)
1st September 2018, 10:27 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Mi Note 3, MIUI 9 Xiaomi eu.
I upgraded Magisk Manager and now my phone is unrooted. Fortunately I came here to read what's wrong, so I didn't flash Magisk 17.
But now I am unrooted.
What can I do?
1st September 2018, 10:30 AM |#11  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZioArturone

Mi Note 3, MIUI 9 Xiaomi eu.
I upgraded Magisk Manager and now my phone is unrooted. Fortunately I came here to read what's wrong, so I didn't flash Magisk 17.
But now I am unrooted.
What can I do?

Okay, so this is guesswork at best, but if you don't wish to flash v17, what I would suggest is uninstalling the latest magisk manager, and going to your magisk folder to install the .apk of the version before.
See if you're still unrooted, then if you are, find magisk v16 either in your magisk folder, or from a download link, and flash that back on for the time being.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)