FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DEV] Magisk Canary Channel - Bleeding Edge Builds

1,839 posts
Thanks Meter: 57,489

By topjohnwu, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 6th September 2018, 09:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Canary Magisk Manager: Link
Canary Magisk Manager (Debug): Link
Latest Release Notes: Link
All Canary Files: Link

These builds are NOT for the faint of heart: professional users and developers only!
The Canary Builds is similar to Google Chrome's: bleeding edge of the source. Be warned: Canary can be unstable.
The binaries from debug channel are built with debug flag ON

Install Canary Magisk Manager and go to Settings > Update Channel and switch to either Canary or Canary (Debug)
If you need a clean start, download the Canary Uninstaller to uninstall any version of Magisk

How to Report:
  • Only report bugs/logs using the debug channel!!
  • Magisk installation failure:
    In TWRP: Upload the recovery logs (pull the file /tmp/recovery.log, or select "Advanced > Copy Log" and upload)
    In MagiskManager: Choose to save logs after installation and upload
  • Magisk bugs:
    Magisk logs are placed in /cache/magisk.log (For A/B devices, they are actually in /data/cache/magisk.log)
    If you cannot boot or stuck in bootloops, grab logcats (and kernel dmesg if possible) on boot
  • Magisk Manager bugs:
    Grab logcat (NOT magisk logs) when the crash occurs, upload the logs and report how to reproduce
  • SafetyNet / CTS / XXX app won't work after enabling MagiskHide:
    Ignored
The Following 236 Users Say Thank You to topjohnwu For This Useful Post: [ View ]

7th September 2018, 04:52 AM |#2  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,402

More
I just installed this on one of my Nextbook Ares 8A's, x86, Android 6.0.1. It was previously on @ianmacd 's unofficial build. So far, it appears to be working great. I un-installed my previous MM, before I install the new one, downloaded the Magisk.zip in MM and flashed it through TWRP.

How much overhead does the extra logging create? I don't notice any difference. Do you think it will affect battery life?
When I check the magisk.log it does appear that it is continuously logging, because each time I check it the time stamp is updated.
If I am not mistaken, on non debug builds the magisk.log is only created at boot and not updated again until next boot?

Thanks, @topjohnwu for creating this new channel for testers.
The Following User Says Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
7th September 2018, 05:12 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1,776

More
Wew, downloading and testing on my 7.1.2, so far so good. Thanks.
7th September 2018, 06:01 AM |#4  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1,333

Donate to Me
More
Aye official snapshots! Awesome. Been using @kantjers up until now. Thanks for this

Sent from my LG Nexus 5X using XDA Labs
8th September 2018, 01:48 AM |#5  
Flag Doncaster
Thanks Meter: 275

More
Testing now. Thanks 👍

No issues with any of my used modules 👍
8th September 2018, 03:36 AM |#6  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,171

More
When patching boot image as install method you should check for storage permission first.
Currently if storage permission hasn't been granted the patch will fail at the very end (when it goes to write the patched image to internal storage), with no indication as to why. The error will just state that it failed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jcmm11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jcmm11 Ad-Free
8th September 2018, 04:29 AM |#7  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

When patching boot image as install method you should check for storage permission first.
Currently if storage permission hasn't been granted the patch will fail at the very end (when it goes to write the patched image to internal storage), with no indication as to why. The error will just state that it failed.

Yes, I think Magisk Manager should ask for the storage permission on first launch and not later when the actual storage permission is need. I have been bit by the storage permission a few time in other instances of using MM.
Good find @jcmm11 , I have not used that option to patch the boot.img.
The Following User Says Thank You to martyfender For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift martyfender Ad-Free
9th September 2018, 05:15 AM |#8  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Any way to fix the phone off charging issue? To recap. When phone is powered of and plugged in. The charging battery icon.stays on and freezes the screen. Only hard reboot gets phone started.
9th September 2018, 05:52 AM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Taipei
Thanks Meter: 57,489

Donate to Me
More
New Canary Build up for Testing!
Support bypassing FGO, CrackProof protections, and Fortnite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

This issue is resolved, thank you for your report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by def-g

Any way to fix the phone off charging issue? To recap. When phone is powered of and plugged in. The charging battery icon.stays on and freezes the screen. Only hard reboot gets phone started.

I'm aware of this issue, will try to figure out the cause of the issue
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to topjohnwu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th September 2018, 05:57 AM |#10  
Flag Winnipeg
Thanks Meter: 227

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjohnwu

New Canary Build up for Testing!
Support bypassing FGO, CrackProof protections, and Fortnite!

This issue is resolved, thank you for your report!

I'm aware of this issue, will try to figure out the cause of the issue

Cool. To be honest, only a minor inconvenience. Your work is greatly appreciated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to def-g For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift def-g Ad-Free
9th September 2018, 06:19 AM |#11  
Flag Indianapolis, IN

More
I just installed this build and it appears to be fine on my device. The logcat was taken in Logcatx using the per app logcat for Magisk Manager. If you would like a full system logcat, let me know, or if you would like any other info such as last_kmsg or dmsg, let me know.

I have been installing through TWRP, since recently I have twice experienced data corruption issues with the direct install method in unofficial builds, noted in the unofficial thread.

As always, Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log_2018-9-09_01-14-44.txt - [Click for QR Code] (4.4 KB, 528 views)
File Type: log magisk_log_20180909_011952.log - [Click for QR Code] (74.3 KB, 684 views)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)