FORUMS

[Discussion] Bypass root detection Fidor banking app

216 posts
Thanks Meter: 97

By h0l, Senior Member on 8th June 2019, 01:42 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi, my original plan was keeping my OP7 root-free because I need that banking app - which has an incredibly good root detection.

Long story short, a few days later and went back to my old habits... Magisk, Kernel, you name it. And the banking app stopped working again.

I do pass the safetynet test, have repackaged Magisk Manager. Google Pay is working like a charme. But Fidor bank seems to be better than Google, at least in this regard. I tried logging traffic using adguard, the app does not connect to anything, no dns requests as well.

Most of the times the app won't start at all, sometimes the first screen flashes for a very short period, and sometimes chrome opens with a webpage from the bank telling me my device is modified. How the **** do they know?

Maybe you guys may have a hint in what direction I could continue poking, because carrying a second phone just for banking is a little bit overkill...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190608-142240.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	4773474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190608-142210.png
Views:	604
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	4773475  
8th June 2019, 01:50 PM |#2  
Flag Kalka, Haryana
Thanks Meter: 411

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0l

Hi, my original plan was keeping my OP7 root-free because I need that banking app - which has an incredibly good root detection.

Long story short, a few days later and went back to my old habits... Magisk, Kernel, you name it. And the banking app stopped working again.

I do pass the safetynet test, have repackaged Magisk Manager. Google Pay is working like a charme. But Fidor bank seems to be better than Google, at least in this regard. I tried logging traffic using adguard, the app does not connect to anything, no dns requests as well.

Most of the times the app won't start at all, sometimes the first screen flashes for a very short period, and sometimes chrome opens with a webpage from the bank telling me my device is modified. How the **** do they know?

Maybe you guys may have a hint in what direction I could continue poking, because carrying a second phone just for banking is a little bit overkill...

Did you clear data of the banking app after Repackaging Magisk & adding it to Magisk Hide? I assume you did it.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs
8th June 2019, 01:56 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 97

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSJ1998

Did you clear data of the banking app after Repackaging Magisk & adding it to Magisk Hide? I assume you did it.

Sent from my OnePlus6T using XDA Labs

I did. And rebooted. And reinstalled. And combinations of those.

A short screenrecord of what is happening as soon as I try to open the app can be found here (youtube link)
2nd August 2019, 05:53 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have the exact same Problem
Everything works: Netflix, other banking apps, etc.. Just Fidor. I do not really know how their detection works, but I assume it's not just a root detection.

The weird thing is, it worked flawlessly 2 years ago Now it's just annoying..
Waited a few versions oft Magisk now, however nothing changes.
You're not alone
2nd August 2019, 06:12 AM |#5  
Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 9,814

Donate to Me
More
https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk...root_from_apps
2nd August 2019, 08:18 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Same problem here ... since the new fidor version v3.14 is out, no way to getting it to work. Downgrade to 3.12 is futile, it forces the update to 3.14 immediately.
2nd August 2019, 08:40 AM |#7  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
As an amendment to my post above (where you'll find pretty much all you need to hide from almost any app), I've successfully tested and hidden root from Fidor v3.14.0.1.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...7&postcount=98
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
2nd August 2019, 09:00 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you, the issue seems to have been addressed there. But as far as I can see, the canary version does not have the optional modules, correct? So I think, unfortunately I will have to wait for an adapted release of the regular magisk.
2nd August 2019, 10:15 AM |#9  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc75

But as far as I can see, the canary version does not have the optional modules, correct?

I have no idea what that means... Magisk modules works just fine on the Canary releases.
13th August 2019, 12:31 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 161

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoohan

As an amendment to my post above (where you'll find pretty much all you need to hide from almost any app), I've successfully tested and hidden root from Fidor v3.14.0.1.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...7&postcount=98

Thanks for sharing!
I have successfully installed the canary Magisk, have Magisk hide enabled, safetynet pass etc.
All bank apps work after adding them to the hide list, for example trying "Kontist" w/o hide gave error, with hide it works.

However, Fidor (3.14.0.1) is still not working for me :/
The app stays open for 1-2 seconds on the canary build, quite a bit longer than on stable version (instant close), clean cache + clean app data, still no luck.
So Fidor must use another detection method that the other bank apps don't have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
13th August 2019, 12:53 PM |#11  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagoban

Thanks for sharing!
I have successfully installed the canary Magisk, have Magisk hide enabled, safetynet pass etc.
All bank apps work after adding them to the hide list, for example trying "Kontist" w/o hide gave error, with hide it works.

However, Fidor (3.14.0.1) is still not working for me :/
The app stays open for 1-2 seconds on the canary build, quite a bit longer than on stable version (instant close), clean cache + clean app data, still no luck.
So Fidor must use another detection method that the other bank apps don't have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.didgeridoohan.com/magisk...root_from_apps
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)