FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Google Pay no longer worked

22 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By henban89, Junior Member on 3rd March 2019, 07:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been using Google Pay on my Galaxy S8 (SM-G950F) for year with Magisk, I was still able to use Google Pay no problem on Feb 28. I noticed on March 1 when I try pay with Google Pay I got message saying "You can no longer pay in stores with Google Pay". I checked Magisk to make sure it still pass SafetyNet and check was success yet I try to add the credit card again on Google Pay I got message "Couldn't finish setup to pay in stores - This phone can't be used to pay in stores. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to henban89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift henban89 Ad-Free

3rd March 2019, 08:39 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 432

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by henban89

I have been using Google Pay on my Galaxy S8 (SM-G950F) for year with Magisk, I was still able to use Google Pay no problem on Feb 28. I noticed on March 1 when I try pay with Google Pay I got message saying "You can no longer pay in stores with Google Pay". I checked Magisk to make sure it still pass SafetyNet and check was success yet I try to add the credit card again on Google Pay I got message "Couldn't finish setup to pay in stores - This phone can't be used to pay in stores. This may be because it is rooted or altered in some other way.

I am getting this error too. Working fine until a few days ago. SafetyNet reports all true, Magisk Hide set to Google Pay, Play, etc.
3rd March 2019, 08:40 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
The same on my Galaxy S5
3rd March 2019, 09:19 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 162

More
Same here on my OnePlus 6t
3rd March 2019, 10:57 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Same with my xiaomi 6, magisk 18.1 + manager 7.0. Safetynet is passed
3rd March 2019, 11:54 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
same with my note-9 using bank applications as magisk failed to hide root
3rd March 2019, 12:06 PM |#7  
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 214

More
No one mentions what ROM they are using

fwiw Google Play works fine on My Note 4 with unofficial LOS 16 (Pie) and Magisk 18.1

Used it last 2 hours ago...

Google Pay never worked on the previous LOS 15.1 (Oreo) on ANY build/version of Magisk, it was a ROM issue.....only worked on stock ROM for the Note 4

So i got quite the surprise when i flashed Pie and it was workies....
3rd March 2019, 12:17 PM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Renton
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sydney

No one mentions what ROM they are using

fwiw Google Play works fine on My Note 4 with unofficial LOS 16 (Pie) and Magisk 18.1

Used it last 2 hours ago...

Google Pay never worked on the previous LOS 15.1 (Oreo) on ANY build/version of Magisk, it was a ROM issue.....only worked on stock ROM for the Note 4

So i got quite the surprise when i flashed Pie and it was workies....

I am running on stock rom, my S8 is still running on Android 7.0 and as I said Gpay was working just fine until March 1. I thought about upgrading to latest stock rom with Android 9.0 but currently there isn't any instruction on how to root Android 9.0 on S8 yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to henban89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift henban89 Ad-Free
3rd March 2019, 03:00 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 432

More
The new Google Play services update caused this.

Temporary workaround:

1. Disable Google Pay/Find My Device as Device Administrators in Settings > Security & location > Device Administrators.

2. Search "Google Play services" in the Settings search bar.

3. Press the three dots and press "Uninstall previous updates".

4. Download this update - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...-7-99-release/
Pick your needed edition (arm or arm64, etc.), download it and install it.

5. Disable Background data access for Google Play Services and Google Play in their respective App Info pages.

6. Download Google Pay from the Play Store.

7. Set up your cards. Enjoy!

Or

1. Upgrade to Magisk Canary by following steps here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-edge-t3839337

Not recommended for daily use!

Never EVER update Google Play services manually, until a Magisk update is available that bypasses the upgraded SafetyNet. Note that Google Play services is responsible for adding/verifying the card, not the Google Pay app! Hence why there seems to be an overlay when adding a card/verifying an existing one.

Tested Google Pay versions:

2.79.x-2.83.235070858 - working

Tested Google Play services versions:

14.7.99 - working

14.8.49-15.0.10 - works on Magisk 18.2 Canary
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to JarlPenguin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift JarlPenguin Ad-Free
4th March 2019, 12:02 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarlPenguin

Temporary workaround:

1. Disable Google Pay/Find My Device as Device Administrators in Settings > Security & location > Device Administrators.

5. Disable Background data access for Google Play Services and Google Play in their respective App Info pages.

Never EVER update Google Play services manually, until a Magisk update is available that bypasses the upgraded SafetyNet. Note that Google Play services is responsible for adding/verifying the card, not the Google Pay app! Hence why there seems to be an overlay when adding a card/verifying an existing one.

14.7.99 - working

14.8.49-15.0.10 - not working, downgrade to 14.7.99

Thanks! I can use google pay again!
The Following User Says Thank You to kiner For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kiner Ad-Free
4th March 2019, 03:29 AM |#11  
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Thank you and backing up and protecting backup of Google Play Services version
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarlPenguin

Temporary workaround:

14.7.99 - working

14.8.49-15.0.10 - not working, downgrade to 14.7.99

Thank you so much for this. Your instructions were followed to the letter and it worked. I had to use a terminal emulator, su, and "pm uninstall com.google.android.gms" to uninstall updates for Google Play Services for steps 2 & 3 on my OnePlus 6T.

Now that it's working I used Titanium Backup to backup this version of Google Play Services and protected the backup.

Again, thanks.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)