FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Magisk] [Module] liboemcrypto disabler for DRM-protected content (Netflix, My5, etc)

1,972 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,895

Post Reply Email Thread
Apps that use liboemcrypto.so to play content protected by DRM, such as Netflix and My5, will fail when playback is attempted on a rooted device.

The symptoms displayed by affected devices vary by brand and Android version. Some devices may display an obscure error message when you attempt playback. Others may just appear stuck loading the requested content.

This Magisk module fixes the problem by masking liboemcrypto.so with a zero byte replacement. Whilst the same effect could be achieved by simply deleting or renaming liboemcrypto.so with a root-enabled file manager, this has the disadvantage of altering your /system partition by writing to the file-system. The advantage of the Magisk method is that no actual changes are made to the device. The problematic file is merely concealed from the apps that attempt to use it.

To use the module, flash it in the Modules section of Magisk Manager and then reboot your device.

The module works when the library in question is located at either /system/lib/liboemcrypto.so or /system/vendor/lib/liboemcrypto.so. If your library is located elsewhere (or missing), this module will have no effect (but it's harmless to try it).

The module has been verified working on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ (SM-G965F/DS) running Magisk 16.x/17.x/18.x on a variery of ROMs, on a Samsung Tab S3 (SM-T820) running stock Android 8.0 and Magisk 16.x/17.x, and on a Samsung Tab S4 (SM-T830) running stock Android 8.1 and Magisk 17.x/18.x. It was created because a similar module on XDA did not work on my devices. It is being released by popular request, because a number of other users contacted me with the same complaint.

The module was integrated into the official Magisk module repository on 2018-06-27, and can therefore be directly downloaded from within the Magisk Manager app.

Please note that a consequence of using this module is that Widevine DRM will fall back to using L3 instead of L1. This means that Netflix will play all content in SD quality, regardless of your subscription type. Of course, without this module, you won't be able to play anything on a rooted device, so beggars can't be choosers.

Change log:

2019-03-29: v1.4
  • Updated for Magisk v19 template format.
  • Issue a warning if installed on an S10e (G970F), S10 (G973F) or S10+ (G975F).

2018-12-06: v1.3
  • Added support for devices that have the library under either /system/lib64 or /system/vendor/lib64.
  • Added support for devices that have the library in multiple locations.

2018-07-22: v1.2
  • Added logic to install in only the appropriate library directory, rather than in both.

2018-05-29: v1.1
  • Added support for devices that have the library under /system/vendor/lib instead of /system/lib.

2018-04-23: v1.0
  • Initial release.
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free

23rd May 2018, 04:44 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
Work on Note 8 perfectly thx mate check with netafix,showmax thx again mate

Wysłane z mojego SM-N950F przy użyciu Tapatalka
29th May 2018, 01:07 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

More
Version 1.1 has been released with support for devices that have the library under /system/vendor/lib instead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
18th June 2018, 02:25 PM |#4  
Flag Zabrodzie
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Hi,

Could you try to make nc+ GO usefull for rooted devices ?
27th June 2018, 11:51 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Thanks for the module @ianmacd, finaly Netflix working again on my rooted and Widevine L1 patched Oneplus5.
I noticed this module actually reverts your device back to Widevine L3 when module is active, is that correct?
27th June 2018, 12:42 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0therus3r

Thanks for the module @ianmacd, finaly Netflix working again on my rooted and Widevine L1 patched Oneplus5.
I noticed this module actually reverts your device back to Widevine L3 when module is active, is that correct?

Yes, this is an unfortunate side-effect of the module. The module fakes the erasure of the DRM library, which enables playback, but not in HD.

If HD is important to you, there are patched Netflix binaries floating around, but I believe they are quite an old version. I mainly use my tablet to cast to the television, so it's not a problem for me. I should add something about this to the documentation.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
27th June 2018, 02:20 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Why did I have my device manually updated by ONEPLUS in order to enjoy HD content thru YouTube, prime, Netflix etc.. if it is conflicting with Netflix, the one I use the most?? This is pretty weird. This model is a great work around, but now I'm back to L3 and the whole point was to enjoy L1. What do you mean with patched Netflix libraries? Can you maybe point me in the right direction? That'd be greatly appreciated
29th June 2018, 11:31 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshinni80

Why did I have my device manually updated by ONEPLUS in order to enjoy HD content thru YouTube, prime, Netflix etc.. if it is conflicting with Netflix, the one I use the most?? This is pretty weird. This model is a great work around, but now I'm back to L3 and the whole point was to enjoy L1. What do you mean with patched Netflix libraries? Can you maybe point me in the right direction? That'd be greatly appreciated

This article contains an introduction to the problem. Basically, you either need to patch the APK or find one pre-patched by someone else.

Most, if not all people use apktool for this kind of work, but later versions of the Netflix APK can't currently be decompiled, so if you look around for a patched APK, you'll necessarily find an old version.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ianmacd For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ianmacd Ad-Free
5th August 2018, 10:22 PM |#9  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd

Version 1.1 has been released with support for devices that have the library under /system/vendor/lib instead.

I didnt fix my error -9 still getting same error sorry we couldn't get Netflix service error (-9) running on Note 4 with Magisk 16.4 on MM ROM

*edit* I went into /vendor/lib/ and delete (take a backup of it) the file liboemcrypto.so, reboot and it worked! I dont know if that the right way to fix it? this Module seems like didn't change anything
6th August 2018, 12:01 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Amsterdam

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfk110

I didnt fix my error -9 still getting same error sorry we couldn't get Netflix service error (-9) running on Note 4 with Magisk 16.4 on MM ROM

*edit* I went into /vendor/lib/ and delete (take a backup of it) the file liboemcrypto.so, reboot and it worked! I dont know if that the right way to fix it? this Module seems like didn't change anything

Thank you for the report. I will investigate the matter.

The module should have worked with that path. I have a device myself that has liboemcrypto.so in that location, and the module works fine with it. I'll look into it.
6th August 2018, 12:26 AM |#11  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmacd

Thank you for the report. I will investigate the matter.

The module should have worked with that path. I have a device myself that has liboemcrypto.so in that location, and the module works fine with it. I'll look into it.

this time I download the module direct from Magisk without using the your provided zip and then installing using from TWRP

this time it worked, now I can use Netflix without any issues I download and installed the module direct from Magisk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
netflix

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)