FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: What preferences do you prefer?

Standard (support library)

5 Vote(s)
12.20%
Custom (with some fancy UI features)

36 Vote(s)
87.80%

Magisk Manager Redesign

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 51

Post Reply Email Thread
Okay, here we go...

Hey!
After about a month of endless cycle of try & scrap designs I think I'm ready present my redesign of the Magisk Manager. At this point I have covered every main screen that you (user) will come in contact with, now it's time to start implementing (or rather rewriting) code from the old app to the new one.
Don't get me wrong, I'm far away from from done; but! I have a sneak-peek of what's to (hopefully) come - considering John will ultimately accept my pull request, lol.

Rationale:
I'm an android (app) developer by occupation and I use Magisk almost every day. I love my work and everything I do, so I decided to help John with a redesign - so the app is less generic and additions (as far as features go) are easier to implement with less of a boilerplate. I have no idea if anybody would even care about the redesign so I would love to hear your thoughts!
At work I'm kinda more appreciated as a developer than a designer so I was never actually allowed to design any production app.

Structure:
The apk is work of about 10 days and roughly 40 commits.
It's mainly written in Kotlin (yey!) with a help from databinding, which makes everything much cleaner.
On top of that I use a "framework" which is actually more of a anti-boilerplate collection of libraries (jetpack wrapper) for all Android stuff - such as activites, fragments, viewmodels and interaction between them. (Can't post links since >that's whatchu get for mainly using reddit< I guess.) Nevertheless bye bye recyclerview and viewpager adapters, bye bye littering code with animations and other UI stuff.

Warning:
Few of my friends reported that the app is marked as malicious by Google Play Protect, maybe because it contains johns original package name + "debug". I know what it looks like, new user, no posts, malicious app warning. Meh. It's not, build it from source, inspect it on GitHub if you don't trust me.
Also it contains Manifest permission for connecting to the internet - this is not implemented yet and does not connect to anything. Everything you see is offline mock data or your own installed apps. Again, inspect source if you don't trust me.
It might crash on APIs<21 due to some unresolved xml setters and usage of vector resources. I'll fix that once everything else is done, don't mind that.
Some visual bugs might occur, refrain from reporting it please.
This is just a preview. DESIGN PROTOTYPE

Screenshots:
https://imgur.com/a/BRd40cg

Download:
NO DOWNLOAD. Already working on a official manager. Stay tuned.

Source:
https://github.com/diareuse/magisk

So what now?
Well, tell me how you like it!
What really bothers you in the new redesign that could be changed for the better?
What do you really like?
And yeah! almost forgot. I was wondering if redoing preferences would be better or worse. Do you prefer standard (support library-based) or entirely custom (with the super fancy dialog ripped from Android Q that you can preview while selecting Dark Mode in settings)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553347566.png
Views:	3006
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	4729867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553347574.png
Views:	2976
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	4729868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553347585.png
Views:	2964
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	4729869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553347591.png
Views:	2674
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	4729870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553347619.png
Views:	2594
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	4729872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553414109.png
Views:	2608
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	4729873   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1553414101.png
Views:	2466
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	4729874  
The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to diareuse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift diareuse Ad-Free

23rd March 2019, 03:32 PM |#2  
Flag New Delhi, Delhi, India
Thanks Meter: 357

More
I really like the redesign of the app. You should definitely get in touch with the Magisk dev to take it up a notch and implement it in the official app.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CrashOverride1995 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CrashOverride1995 Ad-Free
23rd March 2019, 03:45 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashOverride1995

I really like the redesign of the app. You should definitely get in touch with the Magisk dev to take it up a notch and implement it in the official app.

Thanks I appreciate that!
I was trying to but he seems to successfully ignore all of my PMs here or on Reddit. I can only imagine how much spam is he getting so I don't blame him
23rd March 2019, 03:49 PM |#4  
Flag New Delhi, Delhi, India
Thanks Meter: 357

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by diareuse

Thanks I appreciate that!

I was trying to but he seems to successfully ignore all of my PMs here or on Reddit. I can only imagine how much spam is he getting so I don't blame him

Try to use Twitter, he seems active there.

23rd March 2019, 06:28 PM |#5  
Flag China
Thanks Meter: 282

More
Nice work
The Following User Says Thank You to Pzqqt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pzqqt Ad-Free
23rd March 2019, 06:44 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 361

More
How does this work when it comes to hiding MM?
The Following User Says Thank You to hshah For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hshah Ad-Free
23rd March 2019, 06:47 PM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshah

How does this work when it comes to hiding MM?

The whole app does not work yet see OP. This is just a design prototype.
Hiding will be probably somewhat tricky, I have no idea how will the new code features reflect in john's hiding mechanism.
23rd March 2019, 10:16 PM |#8  
Flag Belfast
Thanks Meter: 1,142

More
Check PM mate, sent the code for your download to be a word link
23rd March 2019, 10:23 PM |#9  
Flag Durgapur
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Honestly I feel in love with the design. I think John should adopt the design. You and John together can make some more modifications and bring this design (or improved) into official versions. Nice work bro, highly appreciate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ParadoxTheDevil For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ParadoxTheDevil Ad-Free
24th March 2019, 12:34 AM |#10  
Flag Inverness
Thanks Meter: 181

More
Looks really nice, very in keeping with the new oneui. The newest official is really dated looking with too much advertising. Looks like a dang NASCAR lol I themed 6.0.0 for myself and just used that apk since pure black or pure white
24th March 2019, 03:51 AM |#11  
Casablanca
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hi i just install the app on my rooted pixel 1gen running android Q i like the design but i dont know why i cant see the modules and should i uninstall the original magisk app ?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)