FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Magisk Module][Flashable Zip][5.0+] Android O NotoColorEmoji Replacer v4

1,813 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,984

By linuxct, Recognized Contributor & Social Contributor on 18th May 2017, 04:00 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Android O NotoColorEmoji Replacer
get Android O's emojis on any Android device running Android 5.0+!

Hi all,
This is my first Magisk module, and with a very simple purpose: Getting the newest Android O emojis working in your device running Android 5.0+ with Magisk (as a possibility to install them systemlessly), or replacing the actual font using the included Flashable Zip.

How does it look?
Old Emojis:

Android O's Public Beta 1 Emojis:

Prerequisites
  • Magisk v11.6 or higher, in case of using the Magisk Module.
  • A working custom recovery (TWRP, PhilZ, etc.)

Tested on
Both module and flashable Zip had been tested on AOSP 7.1.1, AICP 7.1.2 and RR_N, working perfectly in the three scenarios. However, except for the 'racial' emojis, they should work in any Android 5.0+ device.
If you own a device which is running Android between 5.0 and 6.0.1, please kindly let me know if the module works as expected

Downloads
Magisk Module - from the attachments, in the future in the Magisk Manager repository (once topjohnwu adds it!), and from my server.
Flashable Zip - from the attachments, and from my server.

Differences between Magisk Module and Flashable Zip versions
Magisk Module - Requires Magisk installed, and will work systemlessly, without modifying the system partition of your device (recommended!)
Flashable Zip - Replaces the system font inside your device, so making a backup of it before is highly recommended.

Installation instructions
Magisk Module (via Magisk Manager) - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Open the Magisk Manager app, go to the Modules section and hit the + button. Choose the downloaded Zip and install it. Once done, reboot your device as suggested by Magisk Manager.
Magisk Module (via Custom Recovery) - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Reboot your device into recovery mode, then choose Install, locate the downloaded Zip and flash it.
Flashable Zip - Download it from the attachments or from my server. Reboot your device into recovery mode, then choose Install, locate the downloaded Zip and flash it.

Troubleshooting
I've seen some people that wiped their /data partition (aka Wipe Data/Factory reset), and thus losing their magisk.img and all their modules, since they're stored there.
This means: If you factory reset your device and didn't flash Magisk flashable Zip again, none of the modules will be able to work.
To fix it, flash Magisk flashable zip again, then flash all your modules, and it should all be working again.
Apart from this I've also seen that Substratum themes custom fonts override the system fonts, so maybe there's another reason why it sticks to the old font. If that's the case, try removing them and see if the new emojis display or not.

Enjoy, and also don't forget to check out my latest Android O's Launcher Backport!
The Following 166 Users Say Thank You to linuxct For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift linuxct Ad-Free

18th May 2017, 04:11 PM |#2  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 98

Donate to Me
More
Cant install it, there's an error when I flash using TWRP wich says 'Status Error 7: Tu madre'
What can I do?

Enviado desde mi Xperia M2 Aqua mediante Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iFlashed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iFlashed Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 04:14 PM |#3  
OP Recognized Contributor & Social Contributor
Flag CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFlashed

Cant install it, there's an error when I flash using TWRP wich says 'Error 7: Tu madre'
What can I do?

Hi Daniel, nice to see you here too
Have you tried doing "sudo rm -rf /" already?

NOTE in case it wasn't clear enough: This is obviously a banter...
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to linuxct For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift linuxct Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 04:21 PM |#4  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 98

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxct

Hi Daniel, nice to see you here too
Have you tried doing "sudo rm -rf /" already?

NOTE in case it wasn't clear enough: This is obviously a banter...

Nice! Working now thanks for your contribution!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iFlashed For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iFlashed Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 04:54 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Nice for those interested, hope you'll do a Magisk emoji replacer to have Android Nougat Emoji's on Android O Final release. I don't really like the new one, it seems, to me, that we're going back to the old emojis from the skeuomorphic Apple Era.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bokoblin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Bokoblin Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 05:09 PM |#6  
OP Recognized Contributor & Social Contributor
Flag CT

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokoblin

Nice for those interested, hope you'll do a Magisk emoji replacer to have Android Nougat Emoji's on Android O Final release. I don't really like the new one, it seems, to me, that we're going back to the old emojis from the skeuomorphic Apple Era.

Firsts things first, let's hope that the (already-in-the-works) Magisk v13.0 is fully compatible with Android O final release, or if it isn't, that topjohnwu doesn't need much effort to get it working . And once that happens, try to get the old-school emojis back with it.

However, I have to note the following: In Android O, there's a new feature called EmojiCompat, which is a library that allows emojis to be downloadable per-app needs. This means that, if a developer includes the library, it will try to download the newest possible emoji fonts directly from Google and apply them inside the app.
Here's an example in Allo.

Those [x] symbols in the right screenshot, using the EmojiCompat library, would convert into a taco and a unicorn again just like the sender sees them, no matter what version of Android you're running (starting from Android 4.4+).

Providing this, it's possible that, if apps start to implement it, you'd see the newest emojis although you systemlessly replaced them by the old-school ones...
Have this link as reference: https://developer.android.com/previe...ji-compat.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to linuxct For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift linuxct Ad-Free
18th May 2017, 05:30 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 950

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxct

Firsts things first, let's hope that the (already-in-the-works) Magisk v13.0 is fully compatible with Android O final release, or if it isn't, that topjohnwu doesn't need much effort to get it working . And once that happens, try to get the old-school emojis back with it.

However, I have to note the following: In Android O, there's a new feature called EmojiCompat, which is a library that allows emojis to be downloadable per-app needs. This means that, if a developer includes the library, it will try to download the newest possible emoji fonts directly from Google and apply them inside the app.
Here's an example in Allo.

Those [x] symbols in the right screenshot, using the EmojiCompat library, would convert into a taco and a unicorn again just like the sender sees them, no matter what version of Android you're running (starting from Android 4.4+).

Providing this, it's possible that, if apps start to implement it, you'd see the newest emojis although you systemlessly replaced them by the old-school ones...
Have this link as reference: https://developer.android.com/previe...ji-compat.html

Yey, finally they did something about it haha, that's awesome. Thanks for the module btw (I personally don't like stock Google emojis tho xD)
18th May 2017, 05:42 PM |#8  
Flag Colombo
Thanks Meter: 657

More
Awesome. Good work on the module. Keep it up.
18th May 2017, 06:08 PM |#9  
Flag Pasig City
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Great Emojis thanks for this running LineageOS 13.0 Sprout device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170519-000721.png
Views:	3954
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	4153958  
18th May 2017, 06:20 PM |#10  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 427

More
Working on LG G5 with Android 7.0
Thanks for the good work.
Working without issues on LG G5 with Android 7.0
18th May 2017, 06:27 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 544

More
Applied it but the emoji haven't changed. I clear the data of the keyboard. Does it work with swiftkey app?

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android o, emojis, flashable zip, fonts, magisk module

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)