1,692 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,312

Post Reply Email Thread
31st July 2018, 04:03 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovizii

you're right he did. I didn't say I don't have a backup I only said the extension isn't behaving as advertised OR I don't get how to use it.
Also, he should change that sentence from "recommended" to mandatory if his app wipes app data

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

I have disabled the extension and rolled back my backup. I'm still wondering what went wrong here as the extension actually created the right folders on my SD card. Somehow the links seem to have been missing. I didn't dare try a restore via "adk ." as it was unclear what else could have gone wrong.

I would however appreciate some feedback and clarification from the author.

Thanks for sharing your experience trying this. I'm tempted to try and think I will after I back home from business trip.

I think one logic point is depending how big is the total size of all apps being "move" around it will vary the time taken. Nowadays people used to install many apps and its data should be huge.

The other factor may be affecting is whether it "move" to internal memory or external like sdcard. I use magic binding and found out the time taken with and without using magic binding have huge different. Usually it's min v.s. 20mins for 1G size file. Reading/writing to sdcard is significantly longer than to internal memory.
31st July 2018, 04:05 PM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 88

More
Yeah same thought if this module main function is alternative for backup app like titanium or even twrp,then why backup is mandatory before actually using this module,I think that kill its purpose.
The Following User Says Thank You to handers1234 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift handers1234 Ad-Free
31st July 2018, 08:10 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Glad I found this before attempting it. Perhaps an option to copy data BEFORE committing to a move would be wise? Regardless, it would also be good to update the url in the description to point to this thread. I'll hold off until we get more feedback and hopefully a safer method of migration.
31st July 2018, 09:04 PM |#24  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 169

More
May I suggest you try a manual "mount -o bind" to some directory in your external_sd first to make sure it works? I reviewed the code before and made sure that a "mount -o bind" works in my case. Module work as promised, moved twice between ROMs last arvo.
31st July 2018, 09:46 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I picked a bad day to scroll through Magisk Manager to see if there were any interesting new modules to try. Luckily I didn't lose ALL my data, but every time I reboot it erases the data of all Google System apps & resets the settings in Magisk Manager. I didn't do a nandroid backup beforehand bc doing a factory reset isn't that big of a deal for me as I keep all my important data saved on a usb stick.

My question is, what happens when I uninstall this module? I just need to know if I need to set aside some time to restore everything manually afterwards? Btw, I tried running the command "adk" in recovery (twrp) to uninstall it & set everything back like it says in the description, but it didn't recognize the command.
The Following User Says Thank You to slim_pickins For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slim_pickins Ad-Free
31st July 2018, 10:16 PM |#26  
Flag Wiesbaden
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by J4jks

Dev RECOMMENDED app data backup in first step even BEFORE INSTALLING it through magisk or twrp.
I think nobody is doing it

I think our feedback is ok and correct because the script results in an anoying mess - you are right but this is independent from having a backup or not.

--- Post added at 10:16 PM --- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93ae8074

May I suggest you try a manual "mount -o bind" to some directory in your external_sd first to make sure it works? I reviewed the code before and made sure that a "mount -o bind" works in my case. Module work as promised, moved twice between ROMs last arvo.

I suggest the script must perform that mandatory testing... according to the "fire and forget" manual.

Sent from my OnePlus3T using XDA Labs
31st July 2018, 11:46 PM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I tried it on my redmi note 5 pro
My screen is totally white after boot dirty flashed rom but same result
Had to clean flash everything
1st August 2018, 03:06 AM |#28  
Flag Hyderabad
Thanks Meter: 248

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim_pickins

I picked a bad day to scroll through Magisk Manager to see if there were any interesting new modules to try. Luckily I didn't lose ALL my data, but every time I reboot it erases the data of all Google System apps & resets the settings in Magisk Manager. I didn't do a nandroid backup beforehand bc doing a factory reset isn't that big of a deal for me as I keep all my important data saved on a usb stick.

My question is, what happens when I uninstall this module? I just need to know if I need to set aside some time to restore everything manually afterwards? Btw, I tried running the command "adk" in recovery (twrp) to uninstall it & set everything back like it says in the description, but it didn't recognize the command.

I tried uninstall it as said in OP , from recovery but didn't work until I flash again from recovery then adk worked in terminal an asked to delete "adk" completely and move data I did yes then rebooted

"mv: can't rename /data/datarestore no such file or directory

Good bye"

This is what shown after reboot I lost all user data and few user apps started crashing

In data/media/adk/ I have not found any apks before unistall this module, found only data of the apps but no apks have backedup , apk backup folder not created in said location
Attached Files
File Type: txt main_verbose_log.txt - [Click for QR Code] (353 Bytes, 2 views)
File Type: txt bkp_apks_verbose_log.txt - [Click for QR Code] (5.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: txt res_apks_verbose_log.txt - [Click for QR Code] (3.0 KB, 10 views)
1st August 2018, 03:42 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
There some real potential here if this work because I have a app with 3.+GB and I have having to set it up again after every clean install.
1st August 2018, 06:15 AM |#30  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,312

Donate to Me
More
Everyone who claims their data has been lost, please check whether it is in /data/media/adk/.appData.

I'm not here to blame you, but I even wrote "app data backup is RECOMMENDED" and clearly enough, the last word in that line is capitalized. Besides, why wouldn't you just backup your data before trying something that moves it around?

Ok, nuff yelling. I assure you this works (for me at least) and I've tested it multiple times before publishing. As a rule, I don't post anything which hasn't worked flawlessly at least on my device. When posting, warnings are always included and clearly visible.

Now, back to the main subject. If your data is in the aforementioned folder, then it is not lost. All you have to do is reboot into recovery, go to terminal and run "mv -f /data/media/adk/.appData/* /data/data" whithout quotes. And of course, uninstall or disable adk with Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode.

If it is not clear by now (even though that's in the README), no app data is moved to the sdcard. Besides being dangerous, that would take ages and be extremely inefficient. Did I say dangerous yes? Good. App data goes to /data/media/adk/.appData. Since that's still in internal storage, the moving process is executed in a breeze (could be well less than 10 seconds). What goes to the sdcard (if it's available within the 90 seconds timeout) are APK copies. If no sdcard is found, APK backups are stored at /data/media/adk/apksBkp.

Last, I haven't tried this module on Magisk v16.7. I'm currently on 16.6 and everything is going fine. Don't look at anything here as insensitive and/or poorly tested, as that couldn't be farther from the truth. I'm here to provide useful tools and support. However, I cannot guarantee those work for everyone, considering all which is involved. Thus, disclaimers/warnings are never unseen.
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
1st August 2018, 06:41 AM |#31  
Flag Singapore
Thanks Meter: 441

More
People who lost data, was it because you wiped internal storage on twrp?
The Following User Says Thank You to neekless For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift neekless Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
backup, magisk, migration, nandroid, rom

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)