Magisk General Support / Discussion

Search This thread

m0han

....Magisk Is A Magic Mask to Alter System Systemless-ly.
  • If you are running custom roms, dirty flash the rom again to remove all possible issues. If the rom includes SuperSU, unzip the boot image from the rom zip, and flash it through TWRP, flashify, fastboot etc. to restore to stock ramdisk......
  • ....... you can now download Magisk and flash to your device.
  • To remove Magisk, restore your boot image back (Magisk will backup your boot image automatically in /data/stock_boot(md5).img.gz), then delete /data/magisk.img.
is the following still applicable in the case of custom roms?
1. Boot in to TWRP
2. go to Advanced / File Manager and delete folder named supersu
3. go to Advanced / Terminal and enter these two commands
echo SYSTEMLESS=true>>/data/.supersu
echo BINDSYSTEMXBIN=false>>/data/.supersu​
The first one forces systemless, the second prevents /su/xbin_bind from existing.
4. Flashed Beta SuperSu 2.74-2 (we can notice while flashing this zip after the above script, we will not see the line saying "Disabling OTA". Also, end of flashing it warns that it takes longer time to boot.
5. Reboot device and enjoy systemless
6. To check if we have achieved systemless root, go to system/xbin folder and we should not see the file named "su".
7. I rebooted in to TWRP and flashed xposed 85.1 (also updated with 85.2 later) and installed the apk (Material design apk from this thread)
8. All done and my xposed works.....

Last edited:

swipp3r

Sep 22, 2014
Stuck at boot screen on the S7 Exynos variant, is this just for stock Android or did i do something wrong? I flashed the Magisk v1 then the phh root zip now im stuck at the boot screen ?

grep_i

Sep 19, 2015
Stuck at boot screen on the S7 Exynos variant, is this just for stock Android or did i do something wrong? I flashed the Magisk v1 then the phh root zip now im stuck at the boot screen ?
Sure you probably did something wrong.
For starters you gave way to little information.
Did you follow the procedure from the OP exactly ?
What rom do you have, custom recovery if any, custom kernel if any ?
How did you flash ?
Come on people give this information by yourself please, don't let us pull it out of you everytime.
You know you are the one needing help than please try to give detailed information about your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app

swipp3r

Sep 22, 2014
Sure you probably did something wrong.
For starters you gave way to little information.
Did you follow the procedure from the OP exactly ?
What rom do you have, custom recovery if any, custom kernel if any ?
How did you flash ?
Come on people give this information by yourself please, don't let us pull it out of you everytime.
You know you are the one needing help than please try to give detailed information about your problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA-Developers mobile app
Stock marshmallow, flashed via twrp, and yes i followed the op correctly. No custom kernel.

Reactions: it0rrent

Nezorflame

Stuck at boot screen on the S7 Exynos variant, is this just for stock Android or did i do something wrong? I flashed the Magisk v1 then the phh root zip now im stuck at the boot screen ��

Did you flash phh's root zip from this thread's Downloads section or from original phh's thread? If the latter, then that's probably the culprit.

Reactions: Scandiz

ShapeShifter499

Sep 13, 2009
@topjohnwu this new "magisk" method. It doesn't allow Android Pay to work on custom roms like CyanogenMod does it? If I remove SU from CyanogenMod and use your root.

ghbuur

May 24, 2013
great work, will try it out soon! one little thing i noticed in the thread title...i guess it should be 2016 ;)

Top Liked Posts

I can't access superuser and modules they are both lockedView attachment 6081641
    Your phone isn't rooted! The top section of your screenshot shows Magisk "Installed N/A".
    Installing the Magisk app isn't enough to root your phone.
    I can't access superuser and modules they are both lockedView attachment 6081641
    Your phone isn't rooted! The top section of your screenshot shows Magisk "Installed N/A".
    Installing the Magisk app isn't enough to root your phone.
    Hello, I'd like to write a module for magisk to transfer in userspace actions like this:
    "echo "16 2048" > /sys/class/leds/aw210xx_led/single_led_br" to allow led control on Nothing Phone 1 to any app, would you suggest me an example module I can take inspiration from?
    Write your service.sh script with whatever commands you need

Then use any module you already have installed that does not have its service.sh script and add your scriot to that module, eg in case of Systemless Hosts itbwill be:
    /data/adb/modules/hosts/service.sh

Or use some other module that does have its own service sh script and extend its script with your commands

You may need to wait booting to finish (you have to debug how yout modifications works if executed earlier or later), in that case script will look like:
    #!/system/bin/sh

until [ "$(getprop sys.boot_completed)" == "1" ]; do
    sleep 1
    done

echo "16 2048" > /sys/class/leds/aw210xx_led/single_led_br

You can add additional sleep if you need to further postpone upon the System finish booting, eg couple of seconds to establish WiFi connection or something

Or if that is too late (some modifications must be done much earlier, while the System boots), you will have to use post-fs-data.sh script instead of service.sh script but then you must not wait for booting to finish and you must not use sleep

Read on Magisk GitHub Developer info avout differences in service sh and post-fs-data.sh usage

Read there generally about the structure of the module scriot, etc

At the end reboot and test does it work

Once you make sure that your script does the job properly, it will be an easy step to pack it into your own module

Similar questions have been asked couple of times (and I responded with instructions and minumalistic sceleton to pack final scripts into the zip installation for a new module)
    @pndwal, you asked for this info. Any idea why I cannot update (or what I should do to update)
    Doubt issues is to do with 'architecture'... I've noticed that update app from within app often simply fails (may be device related) and one needs to fully close (not uninstall) the older app, find the new apk in download directory (or download fresh) and install from file explorer... In this case running Daemon shouldn't try to force stub installation (matching old Daemon/Magisk version) and app should open and allow you to take Direct Install to update Magisk core/mask after that...

Having said that, I'm not sure why existing Magisk is forcing "complete app" installation after installing new apk... Seems opening the app is triggering the daemon but it can't recognise the updated full app, so there may be other issues... Not sure why Zygisk is disabled either... Can you enable that or is it broken?...

If the above method (install from file manager with app closed but w/o uninstalling it) doesn't work, suggest you try the following (assuming working 26.4 installation):
    1) Reset Magisk configuration by deleting /data/adb/magisk.db file and /data/adb/magisk directory contents and rebooting... Magisk configuration files will be rebuilt (modules will persist, but need to set up superuser apps, denylist etc fresh; alternatively, deleting everything in /data/adb will remove all configuration data incl. modules)... Try to install 27.0 from file manager (with 26.4 app closed but w/o uninstalling it) again...
    2) If still no dice, flash Magisk 27.0 (core/mask) from within App as a module (method 2. I outlined here: https://xdaforums.com/t/magisk-general-support-discussion.3432382/post-89168686 )... After that, you should be able to update the Magisk App without any drama even if daemon forces stub installation.

Hope this helps, 🤠 PW
    The device is brand new and I bought it off ebay at this link
    I personally would not trust a phone that came with an inaccessible magisk (or any magisk), it sounds like the seller altered it and it's not as new as you believe.
    Especially if (as in your case) the seller doesn't disclose it has root.
    For english speakers. note originally German on an italian ebay (again a little suspect)
    Screenshot_20240226-132131.png
    I definitly would not trust this phone for security and police as it's marketed. Security services wouldn't want a rooted devices imho.
    Just a test does
    pm list users
    Work for you and list any unknown user.

If you really have "root", you are in a position to read and save all partitions.

If Android 7 corresponds to unsophisticated, you might be able to modify the system partition. This might be as easy as remounting it. It might require producing and flashing a new image.

If you plan to put the effort into salvaging this phone, you should start by backing up all partitions, then finding how you can flash a partition without counting on a bootable Android -- if you hose the system, you can't count on using the system to fix the system.

I think you and everyone you know should try to return these as "not what was advertised."

Failing that, maybe you can find the real stock ROM and flash that.
    This morning the seller accepted my request of reimbursement, and so I shipped the device back. I also informed the many people I know about this issue (and yes they all have this issue) so that they will take an informed decision on what to do.
    Thank you guys for your support
    Mike
    This is the place for general support and discussion regarding "Public Releases", which includes both stable and beta releases.
    All information, including troubleshoot guides and notes, are in the Announcement Thread
    Hello, I haven't given much support on XDA lately. It can be resulted from
    • University started and I have limited free time. In fact, I mostly develop during midnight
    • I live in Taiwan, which has large time zone differences between my European/American contributors/testers, which usually forces me to stay up late at night to discuss/test stuffs.
    • The new version is about to come, I don't want to spend effort on supporting old releases
    The planned update is delayed again and again, to some point I think I'll shed some light about what has been happening lately, also along with some announcements.

New Forum!
    As you might have already discovered, Magisk got its own subforum on XDA! Many thanks to all the support you gave me, and much more information/features/support is about to come!
    **For developers supporting all the devices that are not using standard Android boot format, feel free to create threads in this section (actually, PLEASE do so) for your favorite devices after v7 is out. As I currently know, Asus devices require signing the boot image before flashing, and is model dependant; Sony devices seems to use ELF kernel that is unpatchable, or some has two ramdisks (inner + outer), both requires different workarounds; LG bootloader locked devices has to manually "BUMP" the boot image after flashing Magisk..... and there may be lots of other crazy boot image formats that haven't come up to my attention yet.
    It is impossible for me to support all these non-standard boot images, and I hope the community can collaborate to make Magisk running across all the devices. Overall, community collaboration is what XDA about :D

The Pixel Phone
    Some of you might already know this news, that the next Pixel Phone right around the corner seems like it does not have ramdisk in boot image, which pretty much wrecked Magisk in all ways. However, it pretty much doomed root itself too. Kernel modifications is inevitable IMO, so I'll try to migrate my scripts to C programs that could possibly be included into the kernel itself. Note that I'm not familiar with linux kernel, I'm not even sure if my idea and concept is correct or not. But once the device is available, I think developers will find a way to bypass all the difficulties, and I'll do my best to learn things ;)

Current Progress
    In the past month, I've spent quite some time learning SELinux, so that I can avoid using SuperSU's sepolicy patches. Thanks to the helps and tips from @phhusson and @Chainfire, I finally have a much clearer understanding of how SELinux works. The Magisk core parts (the scripts, boot image patches, new features, more supports) are actually done some time ago. What is causing all the delays is the Magisk Manager.
    To be completely honest, although I can code in Java without much issues, Magisk Manager is actually my first Android application, I had to reach out for assistance, and fortunately awesome developers like @DVDandroid and @digitalhigh contributed a lot, which makes the current Manager awesome.
    After the repo system and module management is mostly done, I was about to do some adjustments and release, but what we really done is decided to add another feature: auto-unroot with per-app settings. I decided to wait for it to be finished, and then do my adjustments. Due to reasons that'll be mentioned later, this feature will likely not be available for the next release (should come in future updates)

Safety Net Disaster
    Those who are using Magisk for Safety Net bypass purposes must have known that Google recently updated the detection method of my Systemless Xposed. I still have no idea what Safety Net is detecting, so currently I cannot fix it on my side (also because I'm busy working on the next update). However, suhide developed by @Chainfire is able to hide Xposed and worked fine.
    However, only my Systemless Xposed v86.2, which is based on SuperSU's su.d, is supported using that method. v86.2 and v86.5 (latest, Magisk based) have nearly identical binaries, and the only difference is the path where the binaries are stored.
    I'm still not sure what's the real issue for it not being supported, I just hope it is not done intentionally.

Conclusion
    Due to the fact that my Safety Net bypass is not 100% perfect now, I do not want to spend any more time waiting for auto-unroot to be polished. What I'm doing now is finishing up all the things I'd like to change in Magisk Manager (it has been a while since I last contributed to Manager, my fellow developers are doing all the heavy job), which might take a little more time, after that, packed with tons of information to be announced in Magisk Section, I'll release the long awaited update.

Hope this lengthy post gives you the idea of the whole situation, and again thanks for all your support!!
    Ah, some Chainfire bashing, I hope it is not too late for me to exercise additional villainy.

First, let me make clear I have nothing against @topjohnwu, nor against Magisk. Magisk is an interesting project and it certainly displays @topjohnwu ingenuity and persistence. I don't doubt we will see more interesting things from his hands.

-------------------------

What has happened here is not all that dark and complicated, from either end. I returned from holidays, and someone pointed me at Magisk. My first thought: interesting!

Among other things, the thread lists some issues with SuperSU, which in combination with the phrase The developer also requests users to not bug Chainfire with compatibility requests for SuperSU with Magisk from the portal article, raised my left eyebrow by nigh half an inch. The popular systemless xposed mod is apparently now based on it, and apparently it now no longer works with SuperSU, and apparently I'm not supposed to fix that, nor any of the other found issues. I found that a bit weird. So yes, I have told @topjohnwu that I was a bit surprised he was posting about issues with SuperSU without notifying me about them (I can't fix or help fix issues I'm not aware of, after all).

He's also spreading a modified version of the SuperSU package, which is not all that uncommon, nor necessarily a problem. I have not looked into what he modified, I only ran a few quick tests on one of my devices, and found some commonly used commands run as root to be broken. I have informed him of this as well.

It appears the tool of choice for Magisk is phh's Superuser, because of some of the mentioned issues with SuperSU. That's fine by itself, but fixing issues in that superuser by incorporating SuperSU's binaries into it is a somewhat questionable practise. After all, SuperSU is a commercial closed-source package that helps pay for my dinner, and superuser is a direct competitor. I have informed him that I was surprised he did this without asking for permission. I have expressed similar surprise on him spreading a modified version of LiveBoot (which helps pay for a snack now and then).
    @topjohnwu has also stated that Magisk's scripts are largely influenced by mine (I have not checked). Scripts based on mine are used all over the place on XDA, some people have crafted amazing things based on them, I have never made an issue of this (otherwise I would have just made them binaries). But yes, I have also stated to him that I don't think it's very nice to base something on one program, and then using that to (almost exclusively) push something directly competing with that program.

tl;dr Towards @topjohnwu, I have:
    - expressed surprise he has issues getting Magisk to work with SuperSU, and has chosen not to inform me about those
    - expressed surprise he is using SuperSU binaries in a competing superuser without permission
    - expressed surprise he is posting a modified LiveBoot without permission
    - informed him of issues with the modified SuperSU he has posted
    - let him know I thought it wasn't very nice to be applying my scripts to benefit seemingly exclusively that same competing superuser

To be crystal clear:
    - I have not asked for an apology
    - I have not asked for Magisk to be abandoned, neither the root hiding nor systemless module parts, and certainly not systemless xposed
    - I have not made an issue of any of this anywhere, until this post
    - I have not even specifically asked for anything to be taken down (though obviously in my opinion the other superuser package mixed with SuperSU's binaries, as well as the LiveBoot package, should go)
    - I have not reported this thread to XDA moderators for copyright violations or otherwise

While my conversation with @topjohnwu may not win any awards for being friendly (though it may win some for brevity), I think all things considered my response has been rather mild. To be perfectly honest, until the apology post, I thought this was over with already. I think the apology post was triggered because I haven't replied to his last PM for a while - I was in the zone, it happens.

To emphasize again, I have nothing against @topjohnwu, Magisk, or systemless xposed, and it is certainly not my goal to see any of them go. If it can be made to work together with SuperSU, great.

I get it though: you think of something, you want to see if you can make it work, you finally get it to work, you publish it, it takes off - enthusiasm gets the better of you. Maybe in the rush some mistakes are made. That doesn't mean you have to just drop it and run. None of my stuff would make it past 0.1 if I stopped at the first big mistake :)

Aside from said being in the zone coding, I usually regret actually responding to these sort of things the day after, which has made me hesitant to reply. Surprise me.
    Thread temporarily closed so everyone sees this.

The flood of "SafetyNet isn't working for me either!" posts are not helpful, at all. Please refrain from posting further, it will be looked into. Please do not forget that not passing SafetyNet is 100% NORMAL AND INTENDED when you have an unlocked booloader or running custom firmware. These are workarounds and they will be worked around in turn.

The Flash
    Forum Moderator

EDIT: Thread is reopened... I will be cleaning any SafetyNet posts for a while to keep the thread clean for real issues.
    Hello everyone!

I am aware that Google has updated Safety Net that makes Magisk itself a no go for Android Pay. In fact, I witnessed the change live while I am developing the new magiskhide, which should hide all Magisk modules and Magisk installed root.

Google is serious about Safety Net now, clearly hunting down all possibility to run Xposed with Safety Net passed. I spend quite some time examining the new security measures last midnight, and fortunately it seems that it is possible to run Magisk and root along with Safety Net if no Xposed is running. I'm glad I removed the old root toggle at the right time lol, that is no longer feasible with the latest detection.

So stay tuned for the next update, it will come with bug fixes, along with the new magiskhide to bypass that Safety Net.

Google, how will a few systemless mods do any harm :p:p