FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Magisk General Support / Discussion

1,839 posts
Thanks Meter: 57,559

By topjohnwu, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 4th August 2016, 02:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from topjohnwu: Info regarding the next release
19th February 2019, 10:47 AM |#31521  
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Loops
Latest Magisk 18.1 bootloops on latest 9.2.15 beta (MIUI EU) Pie on Poco F1. It worked on the previous version and without Magisk everything boots fine. I tried latest Canary version and i'm still waiting for it to boot, it's not looping, but it's stuck. The weird thing is if right after installing Magisk I try to install a custom kernel, I get Error 1 in recovery with the text "Unzip failed".

19th February 2019, 10:48 AM |#31522  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooks06

My understanding is that whatever I back up now, it will be exactly like this if I restore it correctly, whenever I do it.. So if I restore in the future, I will be going back to the past.

That's what I've been doing.. Just in case something goes wrong with some app/mod that I'm checking, I can go back to just before I installed the app/mod.

To me, it's something like a restore point in Windows for PC users.

So what do you think: better to make backup with or without Magisk?
19th February 2019, 10:53 AM |#31523  
Flag singapore
Thanks Meter: 249

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klusio19

So what do you think: better to make backup with or without Magisk?

It depend on what you prefer.

Without Magisk, gives the option to install new version when restoring, BUT, if the removal wasn't properly done, you'll end up restoring the problem.

I have more than one backup so if the latest gives problems I can't resolve, I have another earlier one to fall back on.

Usually before I start root, I have one backup, after updating apps and logging in..

After rooting and all is stable with a further setup, I do another backup.

Then the others are as and when needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to chooks06 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift chooks06 Ad-Free
19th February 2019, 10:56 AM |#31524  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooks06

It depend on what you prefer.

Without Magisk, gives the option to install new version when restoring, BUT, if the removal wasn't properly done, you'll end up restoring the problem.

I have more than one backup so if the latest gives problems I can't resolve, I have another earlier one to fall back on.

Usually before I start root, I have one backup, after updating apps and logging in..

After rooting and all is stable with a further setup, I do another backup.

Then the others are as and when needed.

Ok. Thank you for comprehensive answer.
19th February 2019, 10:57 AM |#31525  
Flag singapore
Thanks Meter: 249

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klusio19

Ok. Thank you for comprehensive answer.

You're welcome!
19th February 2019, 02:36 PM |#31526  
Thanks Meter: 614

More
I have a big problem; I hope someone can help me, please.
I was running Magisk 18.1 on a LG G6, which is encrypted. There's no TWRP version that can handle encryption so I can't acces any data from recovery.
The problem came when I uninstalled Magisk from the app. After rebooting, the phone was in a bootloop. So I went to recovery and magisk again. But when the phone boots, now I have "secure boot-up" enabled, and asks me for a password I have never set (actually, my lock screen was secured with a pattern). I tried restoring stock boot, different magisk versions but still no luck. And every reboot, the number of attempts increases by one. So I have only 20 left to solve this, before losing all my data (which will be a huge pain for me)
Anyone has an idea on how to manage this?
19th February 2019, 03:11 PM |#31527  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okikix

I'm having some trouble. I opened up magisk manager to do something in there and was going to update magisk while I was at it. Before I could it prompted me to download new apk. I did and now it's saying apk doesn't support magisk lower than 18, manually flash or downgrade app. I've tried downloading older version of app but it just installs it as separate app and doesn't let me do anything. Not sure what to do. I saw someone mention using TWRP but I don't have that installed on my phone. How would I go about fixing this? Pixel XL 2

I had the same problem. Simply uninstall the latest Magisk Manager first and then install the previous one.
19th February 2019, 04:17 PM |#31528  
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okikix

I'm having some trouble. I opened up magisk manager to do something in there and was going to update magisk while I was at it. Before I could it prompted me to download new apk. I did and now it's saying apk doesn't support magisk lower than 18, manually flash or downgrade app. I've tried downloading older version of app but it just installs it as separate app and doesn't let me do anything. Not sure what to do. I saw someone mention using TWRP but I don't have that installed on my phone. How would I go about fixing this? Pixel XL 2

This happened to me as well and it's because I had Magisk Manager set to use a random package name.

I fixed it by going into Settings -> Restore Magisk Manager. For me, this loaded the new version automatically. You can then go back in and re-randomize the package name.
19th February 2019, 04:23 PM |#31529  
Flag Bellflower
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoohan

@X0LARIUM As far as I've seen there's been nothing but people trying to help you here, but from you I've only seen ranting, aggressive posting and what seems like a sense of entitlement. I'll post one last thing trying to help you and then I'm done...

First of all, where did you download the Magisk Manager? Where there no instructions of any kind where you found it? If you go to the official release thread you'll find installation instructions and links to the official documentation (where you'll also find installation instructions), my troubleshooting guide, and more.

I've also posted links to you with instructions and tips on how to gather details and logs that could possibly help us help you with the issues you're experiencing.

Nobody here has been saying anything about Magisk being "THE BEST APP FOR ROOTING", except you... Nobody's forcing you to use it, nobody is saying that it will be completely trouble free, etc.

Remember that this is a community, and a community can only be what you help to make it.

I hope you get things worked out, but if you can't post without (what comes across as) aggressive ranting, I think you'll have a hard time getting help. Good luck.

These kinds of things often escalate to Flame Wars and that's not cool.

I too share the frustration of not being able to root my Samsung S7, but I stop my emotional tendencies and try to rely on logic lest I insult the people for trying to help me. That said I'm in the loop here as I tried this on a older phone it seems to go through. My 7 will not, for example, fully implement magisk 18.1 update. It keeps downloading it and try to install and nothing. Because I know zero about computer programming I have no clue what to do next.
ZERO
sorry, didn't mean to yell, but it is very frustrating when you follow instructions as best you can and nothing works out. I almost started quoting institutionalized by Suicidal Tendencies. Thankfully logic won out this time. It's just that the longer I stay on the more likely it is I'll start quoting things.
for what it's worth, I do appreciate everthing you folks put out there. I'll just keep reading in hopefully it'll make begin making sense.

"Help me, XDA Community, you're my only hope" 😉
19th February 2019, 04:41 PM |#31530  
Flag Chesapeake, VA
Thanks Meter: 101

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coumodo

oh, I forgot that bootloader ist still unlocked. Didn't checked SafetyNet status without Magisk

Don't know what to do any more - I loved to pay with my phone, but also need root.

Gpay detects modification whatever I try

On my OP6, I got GPay working with Magisk 17.2. Also SafetyNet and cts are green and MagiskHide does work.

GPay might need a reinstall, means delete its data via app manager and login again.
19th February 2019, 05:07 PM |#31531  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 7,477

Donate to Me
More
@Cruel_Carlos Sounds like you're having a though time... From what I understand, Sammy devices can be frustrating. Personally I don't do Samsung...

From your post it sounds like you're already rooted, correct? And the issue is that you can't update to Magisk v18.1. What's your current Magisk version? Some more specifics and details would be good...

You could try a few different approaches.
And, most importantly of all, if you continue having troubles try to get logs showing what's going on. It's really hard to help otherwise.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)