FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Magisk General Support / Discussion

1,838 posts
Thanks Meter: 56,966

By topjohnwu, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 4th August 2016, 02:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from topjohnwu: Info regarding the next release
12th June 2019, 12:32 AM |#34081  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeme2

If you relock the bootloader will you lose root?

I think relocking the bootloader deletes all your data. If you use a tibu nandroid backup made when thr bootloader was unlocked, will that restore the unlocked the bootloader?

Yes, yes, no.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azuun For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Azuun Ad-Free

12th June 2019, 01:00 AM |#34082  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz2

there is no downgrade .. but if it is uninstalled then if I can reinstall a previous one right?
the option to make a full backup with twrp and reinstall the backup would also be valid? (exaggerated but ..)
Is not it necessary to update magisk while passing the safetynet test? I'm using the 18.1 and the test tells me that passes this test

I will try with the version that you indicate of cerberus, if the problem with magisk is solved is a big step, although I had another connectivity problem with lineage and I have never been answered to this problem

Yes you can uninstall magisk and reinstall any other magisk version, but it might affect your other modifications like custom kernel etc & redo you modules. I find it easier to do TWRP backup and restore if needed.
12th June 2019, 04:18 AM |#34083  
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 383

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuun

Relock the bootloader and the problem is gone

I will definitely not. Not for Netflix or for anybody else. I decide what I do with my device, not a multi billion dollar company.

It is clearly an issue that happened when switching from Magisk 19.2 to 19.3 and has nothing to do with Netflix itself, so let's see if the dev will fix this in a future release.
12th June 2019, 04:56 AM |#34084  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Rich

I will definitely not. Not for Netflix or for anybody else. I decide what I do with my device, not a multi billion dollar company.

It is clearly an issue that happened when switching from Magisk 19.2 to 19.3 and has nothing to do with Netflix itself, so let's see if the dev will fix this in a future release.

It appears that the play store allows apps to block compatibility with bootloader unlocked devices, and Netflix has done that in the past.

Question is whether Magisk previously successfully hid an unlocked bootloader and now doesn't do that, or doesn't hide that but Netflix has now decided to block these devices...
12th June 2019, 05:07 AM |#34085  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,151

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1

It appears that the play store allows apps to block compatibility with bootloader unlocked devices, and Netflix has done that in the past.

Question is whether Magisk previously successfully hid an unlocked bootloader and now doesn't do that, or doesn't hide that but Netflix has now decided to block these devices...

I know that Magisk did previously successfully hide an unlocked bootloader. Pretty much any custom kernel will also hide an unlocked bootloader.
I don't know if Magisk isn't doing that currently. If it is failing to hide an unlocked bootloader that's probably a bug. You should get the necessary logs and file a bug report on GitHub.
12th June 2019, 05:16 AM |#34086  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmm11

I know that Magisk did previously successfully hide an unlocked bootloader. Pretty much any custom kernel will also hide an unlocked bootloader.
I don't know if Magisk isn't doing that currently. If it is failing to hide an unlocked bootloader that's probably a bug. You should get the necessary logs and file a bug report on GitHub.

Sounds like that's the issue then, 19.3 broke hiding the unlocked bootloader. Can someone make sure that bug report is filed so the dev is made aware?
12th June 2019, 07:21 AM |#34087  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotani-Hitoshi

Yes you can uninstall magisk and reinstall any other magisk version, but it might affect your other modifications like custom kernel etc & redo you modules. I find it easier to do TWRP backup and restore if needed.

I do not have any module and the kernel that comes with lineage 16 .. but .. it seems dangerous?
we will make a backup every time
12th June 2019, 07:43 AM |#34088  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh1

Sounds like that's the issue then, 19.3 broke hiding the unlocked bootloader. Can someone make sure that bug report is filed so the dev is made aware?

I am running 19.3 on my device and Netflix is working fine, after hiding it.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 using XDA Labs
12th June 2019, 08:16 AM |#34089  
Thanks Meter: 80

More
Warning for BlackBerry Work users

At my device (OnePlus 5) BlackBerry Work was running OK up to and including v2.17.0.1169: No root detected, provided BlackBerry Work was added to the Magisk Hidelist and Magisk Manager was hided (random package name). However, after BB-W was upgraded to v2.18.0.1271 (update of 2019-06-08), it now detects root and can't be used anymore.
Standard tricks like unhide/hide the app didn't help. BB-W v2.18 seems to have implemented an new additional root checking feature, which appears to be able to detect that your device is rooted.
No idea yet what type of root detection is added now in BB-W v2.18. No additional analysis and/or logs created at the moment, because I had to make make it running again asap (done so by downgrading to v2.17).
At a later moment I'll retry it with creating logs, etc. for further analysis.

Just posted this for people that want to prevent the risk of root detection by the new BlackBerry Work version. If so, postpone BB-W upgrade to v2.18 (stay at v2.17) until reason and a bypass is found.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paarnoutse For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paarnoutse Ad-Free
12th June 2019, 09:21 AM |#34090  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Starting from 19.2 the phone gets unresponsive after complete boot.
Using havoc os on one plus 6t without extra kernel. L
19.1 is fine
12th June 2019, 11:19 AM |#34091  
Thanks Meter: 32

More
A search doesn't give me much... Is it a known issue to lose root? I've tried 19.1 and 19.3 but both lose root. I'm on Android 7.0.
Luckily I had a very recent TWRP backup.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)