FORUMS

Magisk General Support / Discussion

1,845 posts
Thanks Meter: 60,587

By topjohnwu, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 4th August 2016, 02:20 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from topjohnwu: Info regarding the next release
10th September 2019, 01:19 PM |#35571  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
update Magisk
My Magisk / Magisk Hide was working wonderful until the last update of my banking app. Now it sees root and also SafetyNet API Error appeared in Magisk Manager 6.0.0. Of course MM offers update to MM 7.3.2 (224) but when I install MM 7.3.2 then it requires at least Magisk v18 and doesn’t run. Magisk manager shows Magisk version v17.1 although I rooted my Galaxy S9 (SM-960F, LightROM Oreo 8.0) with Magisk-v16.3-modifié-jesec.zip because at that time S9 was not supported by Magisk. Now I thought to uninstall Magisk with the first method but it says unknown or unsupported boot image and stops. Is it because the latest uninstaller (20190604) does not recognize the Magisk version modified by Jesec? Is it safe to try Magisk_Manager_for_Recovery_Mode_(mm)-2019.4.4.zip to uninstall Magisk? How would you update Magisk to v19.3?
10th September 2019, 01:22 PM |#35572  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 1,633

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritforme

Why I can't find magisk hide menu? Thank you

What is your Android kernel version? You must have this to support Magisk Hide:
You can find your Android kernel version in settings, about phone, or tablet.

Quote:

A Linux kernel version of at least version 3.8 or a kernel that has the necessary features (mount namespace) backported.

The Magisk Hide switch must be turned on also, in settings. Normally, it is turned on by default.
If both are the case for you, then it appears that Magisk is not installed properly.
10th September 2019, 06:44 PM |#35573  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwserf

Hello,
I have a Pixel 3 on Android 9 (P3QA.190801.002) with Magisk 19.3 (19300) and Magisk Manager 7.3.2 (224). Since a few days, I'm able to upgrade to Android 10.
I was wondering if I could use the OTA Installation (available on topjohnwu's github) procedure to upgrade my phone and keep Magisk installed ? I successfully used it in the past and it's, in my opinion, the easiest way to do it.
Thank you !

Nobody ? Do I have to install the update and use the standard procedure (TWRP, install magisk.zip) to have Android 10 and Magisk ? Or any other procedure ?
Thank you
10th September 2019, 07:11 PM |#35574  
Forum Moderator
Flag Deep Space Station K7
Thanks Meter: 3,532

More
@aqwserf, According to this post in the Pixel 3 forum: [ GUIDE ] [ ANDROID 10 ROOT ] [ HOW TO ] Patching Boot.img with Magisk Canary, people are rooting by flashing a Magisk (Canary build) modified boot.img.
10th September 2019, 07:17 PM |#35575  
Thanks Meter: 85

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwserf

Nobody ? Do I have to install the update and use the standard procedure (TWRP, install magisk.zip) to have Android 10 and Magisk ? Or any other procedure ?
Thank you

Yes you can use it. After local upgrade of your Android Q zip just install Magisk to inactive slot and then reboot. You would upgrade to Q and preserve root and Magisk. Done
10th September 2019, 08:00 PM |#35576  
Flag Central Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 1,191

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoohan

So far, I've mainly only seen that reported on Pixel devices and there the consensus has been that it's somehow caused by the unocked bootloader (but I haven't seen, or actually looked for, any substantiated information about that).

Possible culprits could be something about the bootloader state (as above), your ROM, or whatever... It's not unheard of, but I've seen no proper solution.

Disclaimer: be really carefull if you decide to start testing locking your bootloader since it could easily mean you end up with a non-booting device and no way of fixing it...

This is spectacularly STUPID to suggest, in ANY context. Never relock the bootloader unless you're 100% stock. Period.
10th September 2019, 10:24 PM |#35577  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,265

Donate to Me
More
I was wondering if there was someone that could help those of us that don't have a fully working TWRP such as the Pixel 3's.

On flashing a bad module and bootlooping, if it is something such as a SystemUI mod, there is almost no alternative except a factory reset to recover. You can get back to stock by flashing system images but as soon as you root, you bootloop again. I was wondering if someone had a method where magisk could be uninstalled in fastboot. I tried booting TWRP and sideloading the magisk-uninstaller.zip but it failed to work.
10th September 2019, 10:53 PM |#35578  
Thanks Meter: 732

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsadiver

I was wondering if there was someone that could help those of us that don't have a fully working TWRP such as the Pixel 3's.

On flashing a bad module and bootlooping, if it is something such as a SystemUI mod, there is almost no alternative except a factory reset to recover. You can get back to stock by flashing system images but as soon as you root, you bootloop again. I was wondering if someone had a method where magisk could be uninstalled in fastboot. I tried booting TWRP and sideloading the magisk-uninstaller.zip but it failed to work.

Search back. There was a post by digerdidoohan (not sure if spelled right, sorry), linking to an article explaining solutions for those issues.
You will need TWRP for that, but it doesn't has to be able to mount /data. I think at the moment that's the only real problem in TWRP
10th September 2019, 11:30 PM |#35579  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artim_96

Search back. There was a post by digerdidoohan (not sure if spelled right, sorry), linking to an article explaining solutions for those issues.
You will need TWRP for that, but it doesn't has to be able to mount /data. I think at the moment that's the only real problem in TWRP

That and it flat cannot read storage, mount system either. Thanks, I'll take a look.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

@Didgeridoohan, I've had a couple of people tell me you might have a way of uninstalling or disabling magisk when a bad module has been flashed, TWRP is unavailable, and fastboot is about all a person has, like us on the Pixel 3's. Could you share that with me? I've factory resetted lots of times because of this.
10th September 2019, 11:46 PM |#35580  
Flag Београд (Beograd/Belgrade/Griechisch Weißenburg/Alba Graeca; Alba Bulgarica)
Thanks Meter: 2,415

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulsadiver

That and it flat cannot read storage, mount system either. Thanks, I'll take a look.

---------- Post added at 05:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

@Didgeridoohan, I've had a couple of people tell me you might have a way of uninstalling or disabling magisk when a bad module has been flashed, TWRP is unavailable, and fastboot is about all a person has, like us on the Pixel 3's. Could you share that with me? I've factory resetted lots of times because of this.

Perhaps the modified magisk from https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...3/post79741239 may help you. It always boots in core-only mode, so you should be able to uninstall or deactivate the broken module (using a filemanager like MixPlorer).
The Following User Says Thank You to guest4711 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift guest4711 Ad-Free
10th September 2019, 11:54 PM |#35581  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4711

Perhaps the modified magisk from https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...3/post79741239 may help you. It always boots in core-only mode, so you should be able to uninstall or deactivate the broken module (using a filemanager like MixPlorer).

That doesn't help a bootloop, I'm afraid. Fastboot is all that remains.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)