FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MODULE] Blobs Forever - Get the blob emoji back in Android 8.0!

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 39

By bdr9, Member on 10th October 2017, 05:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Blobs Forever

If you have upgraded your Nexus or Pixel device to Android 8.0 and you are missing Google's blob emoji, then this module is for you. I was very disappointed when I found out that Google was getting rid of the blob emoji. At first, I thought I could get used to the new emoji, but I always miss the blobs. This simple module will replace your emoji with the blob emoji from Android 7.1.

I have tested it on my Google Pixel running Android 8.0, with Magisk 14.2 beta. It is not guaranteed to work on other devices, but please feel free to try it out. It does require at least Magisk 14.0. For Pixel devices, 14.2 is required.

To install this module, use Magisk Manager to install the attached zip file. I am planning to submit this module to the Magisk Manager module repo soon. I did find another module that is supposed to provide the Android 7.1 emoji, but it appears to be unmaintained, and one user has reported that it is not working on their Pixel running 8.0.

Let me know how it works for you!

Screenshot:

Attached Files
File Type: zip BlobsForever.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.99 MB, 5742 views)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to bdr9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bdr9 Ad-Free

11th October 2017, 06:28 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
New emoji + blob emoji
I made a similar module a while back but never released it because I was unable to include the new emoji missing from the old notocoloremoji file. I had every set up but I was unable to compile a working tff file. If anyone is interested I can give it another try on a different computer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrgooglegeek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrgooglegeek Ad-Free
11th October 2017, 08:17 PM |#3  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 107

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgooglegeek

I made a similar module a while back but never released it because I was unable to include the new emoji missing from the old notocoloremoji file. I had every set up but I was unable to compile a working tff file. If anyone is interested I can give it another try on a different computer.

Great , umm can you help me please , I am trying to compile a .ttf emoji font and i have all the .svg files which i guess are required to compile a emoji ttf font. I want to make a .ttf file for tweemojis
12th October 2017, 01:40 AM |#4  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Interesting. I didn't actually realize that there are new emoji that aren't in the font from Android 7.1. What tools were you using to extract/compile the ttf files?
12th October 2017, 01:42 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdr9

Interesting. I didn't actually realize that there are new emoji that aren't in the font from Android 7.1. What tools were you using to extract/compile the ttf files?

I was using a Java app called Emoji Tools, located here: https://github.com/MitchTalmadge/Emoji-Tools/releases
12th October 2017, 01:53 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:

I was using a Java app called Emoji Tools, located here: https://github.com/MitchTalmadge/Emoji-Tools/releases

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. It would be great to get the new emoji from Android 8.0 while still keeping the blob emoji for the rest of them.
12th October 2017, 07:40 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
sry I have a question. Can you please tell me how this is different from this module?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...patch-t3677992
https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Re...emoji-replacer
16th October 2017, 04:24 AM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenaria

sry I have a question. Can you please tell me how this is different from this module?
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...patch-t3677992
https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Re...emoji-replacer

Whoops, it looks like someone else had the same idea before me. I didn't see that one.

My module provides only the blobs, while the NotoColorEmoji Replacer module mixes the blobs with the new emoji from Oreo. Use whichever one fits your needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to bdr9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bdr9 Ad-Free
22nd October 2017, 08:22 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 60

More
Works great on my 2013 Moto G. Running AOSPE 5.0 . Thanks!
19th November 2017, 03:40 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Please help me get the blob emoji back!
Hi, so glad I stumbled on your post! I have a Google pixel XL. Can you please direct me step by step how to get the blob back? I would appreciate it soooo much! I'm not a developed by any means so I'm not as savvy as others on this forum, but I'm smart enough to go step by step if you'd be so kind to help me! I miss the blob emoji so bad and HATE these new emoji.

I googled magisk 14.2, downloaded it, phone said it couldn't open file. Came back to your post, downloaded zip, phone said couldn't open file. No app for magisk in Google play store.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me!!!!
19th November 2017, 07:39 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 6,956

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmynxd

Hi, so glad I stumbled on your post! I have a Google pixel XL. Can you please direct me step by step how to get the blob back? I would appreciate it soooo much! I'm not a developed by any means so I'm not as savvy as others on this forum, but I'm smart enough to go step by step if you'd be so kind to help me! I miss the blob emoji so bad and HATE these new emoji.

I googled magisk 14.2, downloaded it, phone said it couldn't open file. Came back to your post, downloaded zip, phone said couldn't open file. No app for magisk in Google play store.

What am I doing wrong? Please help me!!!!

To install Magisk you have a couple of options. But first of all I'd like to point out that the best way to get the proper installation files is from the release or beta threads here on xda. Googling, you'll never be sure what you find...

Easiest way to install Magisk is to simply flash the zip (stable or beta) in TWRP. Done.

If you don't have TWRP, you can install the Manager (you won't find it in the Play store, Google doesn't like it) and let it patch the stock boot image (extract it from a factory image) and then flash that to your device with fastboot.

There are installation instructions in the release thread and you might also find some info in the installation and troubleshooting guide.

If you've got questions about any of the above, first try searching through your device's forum, the Magisk forum and the rest of xda. Most beginner questions have been asked and answered many, many times.

Once you have Magisk up and running on your device, you just need to flash the zip from the OP in the Manager (Modules section, "+" button at the bottom) or in TWRP to get the blobs you want.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)