[MODULE] CloudflareDNS4Magisk

Search This thread

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
cloudflare.jpg

Hello,

As John Graham-Cumming announced, Cloudflare now offers its own DNS service.
And surprise of the Boss if we believe his words: your history of browsing isn't saved on their servers ! :cowboy:

DNS ?? Gne ?? What's this ?

To make it short: a DNS server listen and give you the corresponding IP address of your website request, and its domain name (xdaforums.com for example).

For the long version a little reading is necessary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

The purpose of this module?
Forward all mobile data via their servers.

Warning:

Please note that your web provider can purely block all requests if you use customs DNS servers address. I can't do anything for that.

Update: The 2 modules has been updated for Magisk v24. Zip files in attachments.

Requirements:

• An android device (something tells me if you're here it's because you have one..)
  • Magisk installed (v17 at least)
  • five minutes of your free-times (and a little piece of your brain (just in case))

If you trust them, so you can install the module properly, restart and enjoy! :good:

Attachments

• CloudFareDNS4Magisk-v1.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 15,493
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.3.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 9,059
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.4.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 2,938
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.5.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 3,460
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-Basic.zip
    6.4 KB · Views: 2,084
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.5-fixed.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 2,555
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.6.zip
    6.3 KB · Views: 5,465
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.7B1.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 5,481
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.6-IPv6.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 3,256
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.6-1700.zip
    6.6 KB · Views: 7,509
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-v2.6-IPv6-1700.zip
    6.7 KB · Views: 21,367
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-2.7-for-Magiskv24.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 15,198
  • CloudflareDNS4Magisk-IPv6-2.7-for-Magiskv24.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 17,375
Last edited:

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
# If the module won't work for you/bootloop(s)/flash issue(s)

=> Please send logfile(s) if you encured any issue(s).

# Changelog
v2.6 - IPv6 version added - available in Magisk Repo
v2.7 BETA 1 - Try to fix DNS issue when battery save mode is enabled
v2.6 - last BETA 4 merged to official channel - thanks for all your feedbacks - git updated
v2.6 BETA 4 - Fix props (thanks to @Didgeridoohan)
v2.6 BETA 3 - Move props to system.prop, move cmd for "resolv.conf" from post-fs-data to config.sh
v2.6 BETA1 - Attempt to fix the possible remaining mistakes
v2.5-fix - Fix stuff
v2.5 Basic - Basic version added for users who get issue(s) with the main version
v2.5 - Attempt to fix the preventing of Xposed Framework loading during bootstage
v2.4 - IPv6 support added, fix props, iptables commands and modification of the injection method of the configuration file (the file at each starts will be set only if the default file is present by default on the phone)
v2.3 - Fix compagny name on post, github, and in the module files (sorry..)
v2.2 - DNS settings for DHCP are now edited system-lessy!
v2 - Several prop and iptabled cmd added
v1 - Initial version

Thanks to @strongst, @abacate123, @Didgeridoohan, @Sam Nakamura, @shadowstep @smohanv and other users to participate in module support :)

#Screen of internet result speed
Screenshot_20180404_161654.png

# Test check

Please note:
- props aren't edited on last versions (last stable and beta)
- Make sure CloudFlare is showed in the dnsleaktest result.

Screenshot_20180407_202353.png

# Note (just if needed)

Module updated is on Magisk Repo (excluding BETA versions).

Last edited:

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
The module is not changing DHCP obtained DNS servers. Running nslookup using terminal still using DHCP obtained servers.
Yeah, i am actually working on this.
thank you but how i can check it works
For now, u can check the second section,
i am also looking to editing the DHCP DNS servers adress.

Actually all system properties have the CF DNS address set.

Information:

v2.2 come to update the DNS settings for DHCP services.
Changes has been commit to git, so when topjhonwu will be back to the next weekend the module will appear

Please be patient :angel:

Last edited:

Rom

Jul 1, 2013
Lyon
Wow, nice you've been promoted on the portal congrats.

ps: the name is cloudfLare, you missed the L xD
Oh really ! I didn't even realize it, thank u very much!

And screw a BIG oops for the name i skinned, i corrected that at Github's level and the request for filing, the rest will follow :good:

EDIT: If you have a version before the 2.3 one installed on your phone, thanks to delete the old one in your "Module" tab in your Magisk Manager app.

Last edited:

zaacc

Jan 24, 2017
my pixel 2 went in bootloop. i needed to force reboot to make it boot. dns applied fine

abhibnl

Oct 13, 2011
Hello,
Could you please suggest how to uninstall this module or revert back to old settings if this created any issues?
Edit: My apologies, i forgot its a simple untick to disable module in magisk.

Last edited:

GBPackerFanForLife

Sep 12, 2012
I already did this on my home router..So I installed v2.3 thru Magisk an it installed fine but didn't change an settings in WiFi on my Pixel 2 XL.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cloudflare.jpg

Hello,

As John Graham-Cumming announced, Cloudflare now offers its own DNS service.
    And surprise of the Boss if we believe his words: your history of browsing isn't saved on their servers ! :cowboy:

DNS ?? Gne ?? What's this ?

To make it short: a DNS server listen and give you the corresponding IP address of your website request, and its domain name (xdaforums.com for example).

For the long version a little reading is necessary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System

The purpose of this module?
    Forward all mobile data via their servers.

Warning:

Please note that your web provider can purely block all requests if you use customs DNS servers address. I can't do anything for that.

Update: The 2 modules has been updated for Magisk v24. Zip files in attachments.

Requirements:

• An android device (something tells me if you're here it's because you have one..)
    • Magisk installed (v17 at least)
    • five minutes of your free-times (and a little piece of your brain (just in case))

If you trust them, so you can install the module properly, restart and enjoy! :good:
    # If the module won't work for you/bootloop(s)/flash issue(s)

=> Please send logfile(s) if you encured any issue(s).

# Changelog
    v2.6 - IPv6 version added - available in Magisk Repo
    v2.7 BETA 1 - Try to fix DNS issue when battery save mode is enabled
    v2.6 - last BETA 4 merged to official channel - thanks for all your feedbacks - git updated
    v2.6 BETA 4 - Fix props (thanks to @Didgeridoohan)
    v2.6 BETA 3 - Move props to system.prop, move cmd for "resolv.conf" from post-fs-data to config.sh
    v2.6 BETA1 - Attempt to fix the possible remaining mistakes
    v2.5-fix - Fix stuff
    v2.5 Basic - Basic version added for users who get issue(s) with the main version
    v2.5 - Attempt to fix the preventing of Xposed Framework loading during bootstage
    v2.4 - IPv6 support added, fix props, iptables commands and modification of the injection method of the configuration file (the file at each starts will be set only if the default file is present by default on the phone)
    v2.3 - Fix compagny name on post, github, and in the module files (sorry..)
    v2.2 - DNS settings for DHCP are now edited system-lessy!
    v2 - Several prop and iptabled cmd added
    v1 - Initial version

Thanks to @strongst, @abacate123, @Didgeridoohan, @Sam Nakamura, @shadowstep @smohanv and other users to participate in module support :)

#Screen of internet result speed
    Screenshot_20180404_161654.png

# Test check

Please note:
    - props aren't edited on last versions (last stable and beta)
    - Make sure CloudFlare is showed in the dnsleaktest result.

Screenshot_20180407_202353.png

# Note (just if needed)

Module updated is on Magisk Repo (excluding BETA versions).
    v2.7 BETA 1 version informations

As promised (and expected told me my little finger), here is the new beta version to correct the connection loss problem encountered by myself and users regularly using the battery saving implemented by default in recent Android versions option.

This first BETA worked for me, active battery saving mode, via Opera Beta and Firefox, so i let you take care of testing it on your devices and i'm obviously waiting for your feedback.

If you always encounter the same problem with the battery saver enabled, please attach a screenshot of the "ifconfig" command (without quotes) and a second one showing the result of the "ifconfig -a" command (still without quotes), in a terminal emulator, as well as the usual info like the version of Android used, the manufacturer and the model, including the ROM (with the link if it's an custom one).

Concerning the second support request for the DoT technology (DNS over TLS), i will already be able to provide a first support version but this feature being integrated only from Android P (officially), so i decided to make wait for its integration the time to validate the bug correction in connection with the data saver.

In short: "every thing in its time".

Yes it was removed because it does not comply with the updated rules for submissions.

https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/submission

It was moved to the graveyard to give the developer until November 1, 2018, to update it before it is deleted:

https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Grave
    Indeed, both versions of the module have been moved to another "SPAM" repository until a given date, after which it will be deleted.

Basically: It was decided by Magisk's moderation team that the modules related to custom DNS did not respect the new compliance points recently implemented as you may have read.

I have send a private message to Jhon on XDA and I am in contact with one of Magisk's staff members on this subject to clarify the situation and avoid a second "strike" from the staff check, i expect their response and especially Jhon's response.

I'm not going to well on this "judgment" that i find completely stupid regarding DNS's modules, i'm not part of the staff, but let's just say i think no less.
    By expecting that Jhon isn't going to an extensive military service one more time...:rolleyes:
    Keep the liver :good:
    The module is not changing DHCP obtained DNS servers. Running nslookup using terminal still using DHCP obtained servers.
    Yeah, i am actually working on this.
    thank you but how i can check it works
    For now, u can check the second section,
    i am also looking to editing the DHCP DNS servers adress.

Actually all system properties have the CF DNS address set.

Information:

v2.2 come to update the DNS settings for DHCP services.
    Changes has been commit to git, so when topjhonwu will be back to the next weekend the module will appear

Please be patient :angel: