I had a lot of trouble making my phone show custom boot animation so I put together this. Hopefully I can help you set custom boot animation systemlessly.
Since Magisk 16.4, the boot animation can not be loaded from user data fs, this is the simplest method I'm aware of.
What do you need?
- Magisk 18+
- Android 5+
- Custom bootanimation.zip
- This repository (github.com/MCBlesk/Systemless-Boot-Animation)
- Download the Github repository
- Replace bootanimation.zip in /system/media/
- Zip all files in the repository
- Install with Magisk Manager
- Make sure your bootanimation.zip file is not compressed! (store compression)
- Put an empty line after the last instruction in desc.txt
- Make sure images are valid PNGs
- Refer to googlesource (android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/base/+/master/cmds/bootanimation/FORMAT.md)
- Try installing the module with provided bootanimation.zip. If it does work, your bootanimation.zip is most probably invalid. If it doesn't, the module probably doesn't work on your device.
- Didn't help? Ask! I spent a lot of time messing things up and hopefully have some overview...
Sorry I have links in this format, I can't post external links yet...
Warning: If you don't replace the bootanimtion.zip, my stupid face will scare you every time you reboot the phone.