FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MODULE] [7.x.x] Enable sdcardfs - 7/13/2017

13,717 posts
Thanks Meter: 50,717

By nathanchance, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 8th May 2017, 08:16 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Introduction

Hello everyone! This is an incredibly simple module to enable sdcardfs on any Nougat 7.x ROM (SDK 24 or higher). sdcardfs is a replacement file system for FUSE, used to mount the /sdcard partition; you can read about this change here.

Some notes
  1. sdcardfs is in constant development (at least two to three patches per week on average), meaning it could become unstable at any point. Certain apps do not play with sdcardfs, which can lead to crashes and corruption. Enable it at your own risk!
  2. Your kernel MUST have sdcardfs support for this to work. Please ask your kernel/ROM developer if they have included all of the proper support commits for it to work. They can be found in AOSP's kernel/common repo (or a quick search of the AOSP Gerrit).
  3. You MUST have this system/core commit. There is no reason that every 7.x ROM should not have this commit as it comes straight from Google but you never know.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.1 Q: How do I use this?
1.1 A: Flash it in recovery or add it in Magisk Manager > Modules.

1.2 Q: How do I check if the module works?
1.2 A: Go into a terminal emulator and type the following:
Code:
su
df -t sdcardfs
If you see something like the following, the module worked! If not, it is most likely because you either don't have sdcardfs support in your kernel OR you do not have the system/core commit I mentioned above.

1.3 Q: I'm having xyz issue.
1.3 A: Great! Please give me a logcat, dmesg, and Magisk log and I'll be happy to assist.

Changelog

Version 3.0:
  • Update template to v4 and use system.prop instead of post-fs-data.sh

Version 2.1:
  • Improve print_modname so it looks right while flashing in recovery
  • Don't install on anything less than Nougat (thanks @veez21)

Version 2.0:
  • Add logging to Magisk log
  • v13 snapshot support

Version 1.0:
  • Initial support

Downloads

Primary | Mirror

Source
Attached Files
File Type: zip enable-sdcardfs-1.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.8 KB, 382 views)
File Type: zip enable-sdcardfs-2.0.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.9 KB, 870 views)
File Type: zip enable-sdcardfs-2.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.7 KB, 2792 views)
The Following 70 Users Say Thank You to nathanchance For This Useful Post: [ View ]

8th May 2017, 02:33 PM |#2  
Flag The Poconos
Thanks Meter: 2,698

More
Hooray for bleeding edge break my phone stuff!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rignfool For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift rignfool Ad-Free
8th May 2017, 02:57 PM |#3  
Flag Cuiaba
Thanks Meter: 484

More
Hahahaha. I'm not sure I should try that on my stock MM Rom. Even with Firekernel.

Enviado de meu MotoG3 usando Tapatalk
8th May 2017, 11:49 PM |#4  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Mesa, AZ

More
Uploaded version 2.0 which adds some info in Magisk's log and adds support for the unified magisk binary in the v13 snapshot builds floating around.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nathanchance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
8th May 2017, 11:59 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 193

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash

Uploaded version 2.0 which adds some info in Magisk's log and adds support for the unified magisk binary in the v13 snapshot builds floating around.

do we update by just flashing the newer build over the existing one?
The Following User Says Thank You to xflowy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xflowy Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 12:02 AM |#6  
Flag Mesa, AZ

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xflowy

do we update by just flashing the newer build over the existing one?

Yes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nathanchance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2017, 01:09 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 513

More
Quote:

Cheers for doing this. Glad I could test it for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to HamsterHam For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HamsterHam Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 02:07 AM |#8  
Flag Cuiaba
Thanks Meter: 484

More
@The Flash U just broke my MM installation cause I was tested blind, I don't know what happende I just didn't read it was only for sdk24 +
I seem it after I flashed it, I didn't restarted and was going to uninstall on magisk, but then magisk lost root (wasn't happened before on the stock rom), I had to restart, I deleted it from magisk.img using the magisk mount module, and now it stays on Android is starting forever, and does not start up. :/
You can blame me xD But, can help me?
What files I have to edit/delte so I can completely disable it?
9th May 2017, 02:43 AM |#9  
Flag Mesa, AZ

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by justjr

@The Flash U just broke my MM installation cause I was tested blind, I don't know what happende I just didn't read it was only for sdk24 +
I seem it after I flashed it, I didn't restarted and was going to uninstall on magisk, but then magisk lost root (wasn't happened before on the stock rom), I had to restart, I deleted it from magisk.img using the magisk mount module, and now it stays on Android is starting forever, and does not start up. :/
You can blame me xD But, can help me?
What files I have to edit/delte so I can completely disable it?

The script doesn't actually fire if you are on Marshmallow: https://github.com/nathanchance/magi...fs-data.sh#L32

Even then, that prop doesn't actually do anything on Marshmallow or below. Your issue is unrelated to this. Dirty flashing your ROM should fix it.
The Following User Says Thank You to nathanchance For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th May 2017, 04:15 AM |#10  
Flag Guess Where
Thanks Meter: 2,554

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

The script doesn't actually fire if you are on Marshmallow: https://github.com/nathanchance/magi...fs-data.sh#L32

Even then, that prop doesn't actually do anything on Marshmallow or below. Your issue is unrelated to this. Dirty flashing your ROM should fix it.

@The Flash, check this out
https://github.com/nathanchance/magi...pull/1/commits
The Following User Says Thank You to veez21 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift veez21 Ad-Free
9th May 2017, 06:56 PM |#11  
Gurgaon
Thanks Meter: 4

More
@The Flash - May I know your keyboard name??? 🙃
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)