[Module] Google Dialer

Search This thread

Thomas_BA

Dec 22, 2009
Buenos Aires
www.artantique.net
Hello Magisk community,
i put together a module which installs system-less the Google Dialer v2.3.12 with Magisk.

Tested and working on my Moto X Pure - XT1572 with Marshmallow 6.0.1, Magisk 10.2 and Magisk-Manager 3.0,
Should work on other stock Roms, etc. as framework and permission files a standard files.

Included files:
- com.google.android.dialer.support.jar (framework)
- com.google.android.dialer.support.xml (permission)
- GoogleDialer.apk (Google Dialer)

Do not forget to set the Google Dialer as default app in Configuration - Applications

Notes:
I used version 2.3.1.2 as it is to my knowledge the latest version which works flawless with
- Caller ID
- Places Nearby
- Call blocking
- TeslaUnread from Nova Launcher
- No FC when entering configuration

All later versions, specifically those with the new design v5.+ have problems with Nearby and Tesla Unread on Marshmallow (Google-Dialer will not be recognized by TeslaUnread as default dialer).
Anyway you can update the dialer by downloading the apk from "http://www.apkmirror.com/".
Latest limited working version is 5.1.13122 (Nearby and Tesla not working)

If somebody finds a later version working with all above features, let me know and i will update the Module.

Also i did not include "Google Contacts" as it can be installed as a user app with no problems.

Wishes and suggestions welcome.
Have fun.

Attachments

• Module_GoogleDialer_v1.0.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 13,891
Last edited:
I installed this on a stock Xperia Z5 (E6653) and it installs properly and I can open the Google Dialer. The issue I'm having is that I can't enable permissions for the Google Dialer because it tells me I need to disable overlays for the app. When I go into settings to try to disable it, the Google Dialer does not show up, so I can't enable/disable overlays. Calling doesn't seem to work either, I think again because I can't change permissions.

I was able to update the app through the Play Store though, so at least I know that works. Maybe it's an issue with Sony firmware. Maybe you could post a zip that doesn't include the apk and I can try installing it as a user app and see if it works that way?

Reactions: vulcanrvn
The apk you can extract from the zip file. If you want only to install the framework and permission file with Magisk delete the priv-app folder under /system in the zip file. That's it.

It works.

I deleted the folder from /Magisk/GoogleDialer/system/priv-app, enabled the module, rebooted, and installed that the same version of the Google Dialer from apkmirror.com. The dialer works, enabling permissions works, and updating through the Play Store works.

I'm not sure if it's the intent of this module, but it might make more sense to have the Google Dialer installed as a user app rather than a system app, because it seems that it might work universally. It would be interesting to get some feedback from other users to see if they have the same issues I did or if I'm the only one. Either way, this is working great, thanks for your help.

Thomas_BA

Dec 22, 2009
Buenos Aires
www.artantique.net
You can do so as you have done. But your way does not work on several other Roms. In my case i couldn't even install the apk as user file. Any way glad it works.
I also updated via Playstore, but the updated version was not recognized by Tesla - Unread, neither Nearby works.

Last edited:

23Six

Nov 7, 2012
Dialer v5.1.1 is the latest version that works in devices not running 7.1+. (Therefore 7.0 Nougat and below work with Dialer v5.1.x).

Thomas_BA

Dec 22, 2009
Buenos Aires
www.artantique.net
Hm, what Rom are you running. Installed as user app, with or without framework and permission file? Tesla unread recognizes the dialer as default dialer?
I have 5.1.13122 and the above three features don't work.

Last edited:

23Six

Nov 7, 2012
Hm, what Rom are you running. Installed as user app, with or without framework and permission file? Tesla unread recognizes the dialer as default dialer?
I have 5.1.13122 and the above three features don't work.
I had 2.5 rc8 already installed as a user app. But I have Magisk module 'App Systemizer' which converted to a system app.

I used your zip file (removed the apk so just the framework). After flashing I still had 2.5 rc8 as system app. Then I sideloaded 5.1 apk and it works the same (system app).

Nearby places work, all permissions granted, set as my default dialer successfully. Tesla seems not to be working -- just tested.

OnePlus 3T stock ROM (Android 7.0) with stock dialer disabled.

Last edited:

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
@Thomas_BA work like charm on Honur 5x stock. But another thing. I have a dual sim device. Though from menu I have selected that smart dialling is activated that means stock dialer is asking me for which sim I need to choose for calling but google dialer is not working as it intended to work like it work in lineage OS

Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
i was flashing the zip right from twrp . I didn't see the available option from magisk to load module

One last OT post, then I'll drop this. My curiosity is still unsatisfied... :(

That points the finger at your TWRP. If you can flash the zip through the manager it should be able to flash in TWRP. There was a lot of other errors in the recovery log as well, not only for the zip flash. You might have issues with your recovery...

Over and out.

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
One last OT post, then I'll drop this. My curiosity is still unsatisfied... :(

That points the finger at your TWRP. If you can flash the zip through the manager it should be able to flash in TWRP. There was a lot of other errors in the recovery log as well, not only for the zip flash. You might have issues with your recovery...

Over and out.

well maybe yeah. the recovery I was using was meant as a test recovery. But I am right now won't be able to check whether the stable recovery was working properly with the zip. But this is the first zip I saw that gave me some sort of error. So there might be something inside the zip that makes it only work from the magisk itself. Huawei stock is crap. Maybe it works this way in magic. A guess with my limited knowldge. : confused:

---------- Post added at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

@Thomas_BA @Didgeridoohan is there is any other way that can be used to make this flashable zip for google contacts app for the marshmallow ? like phone app ?

Poli169

May 1, 2016
Is there a way to get the built in voice mail function to work? It works on lineage os roms but cant seem to get it to work through the module. Thanks.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello Magisk community,
    i put together a module which installs system-less the Google Dialer v2.3.12 with Magisk.

Tested and working on my Moto X Pure - XT1572 with Marshmallow 6.0.1, Magisk 10.2 and Magisk-Manager 3.0,
    Should work on other stock Roms, etc. as framework and permission files a standard files.

Included files:
    - com.google.android.dialer.support.jar (framework)
    - com.google.android.dialer.support.xml (permission)
    - GoogleDialer.apk (Google Dialer)

Do not forget to set the Google Dialer as default app in Configuration - Applications

Notes:
    I used version 2.3.1.2 as it is to my knowledge the latest version which works flawless with
    - Caller ID
    - Places Nearby
    - Call blocking
    - TeslaUnread from Nova Launcher
    - No FC when entering configuration

All later versions, specifically those with the new design v5.+ have problems with Nearby and Tesla Unread on Marshmallow (Google-Dialer will not be recognized by TeslaUnread as default dialer).
    Anyway you can update the dialer by downloading the apk from "http://www.apkmirror.com/".
    Latest limited working version is 5.1.13122 (Nearby and Tesla not working)

If somebody finds a later version working with all above features, let me know and i will update the Module.

Also i did not include "Google Contacts" as it can be installed as a user app with no problems.

Wishes and suggestions welcome.
    Have fun.
    I installed this on a stock Xperia Z5 (E6653) and it installs properly and I can open the Google Dialer. The issue I'm having is that I can't enable permissions for the Google Dialer because it tells me I need to disable overlays for the app. When I go into settings to try to disable it, the Google Dialer does not show up, so I can't enable/disable overlays. Calling doesn't seem to work either, I think again because I can't change permissions.

I was able to update the app through the Play Store though, so at least I know that works. Maybe it's an issue with Sony firmware. Maybe you could post a zip that doesn't include the apk and I can try installing it as a user app and see if it works that way?
    The apk you can extract from the zip file. If you want only to install the framework and permission file with Magisk delete the priv-app folder under /system in the zip file. That's it.