FORUMS

[MODULE] Magisk module for Cerberus App

2,099 posts
Thanks Meter: 648

By smohanv, Senior Member on 20th November 2019, 05:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
App source: https://www.cerberusapp.com/

This app is mainly to protect our phone and helps to locate our device in case of lost or stolen.

Obviously, needless to mention that the device needs to be magisk rooted. Rooted with latest magisk version is good.

Why this module?
See screenshot for reference. Why we need this magisk module? Cerberus app needs to be placed in system/priv-app in order to use the "SIM checker" settings to work. This settings is very handy to include mobile numbers to be notified in case of device loss/stolen. Also, we can confugure under this settings to localize the device with a "cerberus find" sms message without a password. This means that we can find the finder location / device location in no time in case we lost it.

By the way, you have to create account in https://www.cerberusapp.com to use this app.

This module installs the app in system/priv-app folder. Flash this module in Magisk Manager and reboot device. After device boot you will see this app in app drawer in the name of "System Framework". I have used Cerberus Disguised apk and this is why the name of the app is not obvious (i.e "System framework"). If anyone needs magisk module for the named app, i.e Cerberus, please place request in yourt post. The named app will apprear in app drawer in the name of Cerberus with the developers app icon.

Without this module, we still can manually move the app folder from data partition (after we install normally) in to system/priv-app folder and set permissions to 755. But on several occations error message pops-up on each device boot.

If the developer of this app has any objections to this work, please PM me.

Usual disclaimer: I am not responsible if you break your device. You are using at your own will.

Module file attached and also it can be downloaded from this LINK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-20-07-00-10-742_com.lsdroid.cerberuss.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	4882189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-11-20-07-00-03-191_com.lsdroid.cerberuss.jpg
Views:	1078
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	4882191  
Attached Files
File Type: zip CerberusDisguised_3.6.4.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.35 MB, 434 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smohanv For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smohanv Ad-Free
9th December 2019, 12:38 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I tested it on an old device. An LG G2 with cyanogenmod. Android Marshmallow.

First I uninstalled Cerberus completely. I rebooted the device and checked to see if there were any file remnants in Data / App. There was nothing else there.

Then I installed the Magisk module and restarted the device.

Upon restarting Cerberus was properly installed. I launched Cerberus and set it up properly.

Then I went to the System / Priv-app folder to check.
There I found the System Framework folder. Inside was only the SystemFramework.apk file, but there was no other folder like I had seen in Data / App.

Then I rebooted the device to TWRP and did the factory reset. I did on the following:

Wipe Data
Wipe Cache
Wipe Dalvik / Art Cache

Then I restarted the device.
Upon restart there was no remnant of Cerberus (System Framwork). Cerberus has been UNINSTALLED.

I accessed (via computer) the Cerberus website and tried to track, but to no avail. Not tracked.

I wonder if I made a mistake in the procedure?

I am thinking to test in my Xiaomi Mi A3.
9th December 2019, 06:22 AM |#3  
Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 9,825

Donate to Me
More
@FredMontteiro That is expected. Magisk stores it's files in /data/adb, so any app that is moved to /system through Magisk will be removed if /data is wiped.
29th December 2019, 11:27 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 176

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoohan

@FredMontteiro That is expected. Magisk stores it's files in /data/adb, so any app that is moved to /system through Magisk will be removed if /data is wiped.

So the Magisk module doesn't really install the app in /system then. Right? It only makes it look like it. So a factory reset makes it dissappear...
30th December 2019, 08:46 AM |#5  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iruiz2

So the Magisk module doesn't really install the app in /system then. Right? It only makes it look like it. So a factory reset makes it dissappear...

Yes. That's always been the main function of Magisk, making system modifications without actually touching /system.
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
26th January 2020, 12:22 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Call me crazy, but... isnt this the sole purpose of cerberus? to be installed as a system file, survive factory reset and be found in case a person loses a phone or gets it stolen/pickpocketed? I mean... is there a way in 2020 that cerberus not only survive a factory reset, but actually works after it, meaning: the phone that gets factory reseted keeps its roots functions and stealthly sends info to the cerberus website etc?
27th January 2020, 10:15 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 176

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baco_852

Call me crazy, but... isnt this the sole purpose of cerberus? to be installed as a system file, survive factory reset and be found in case a person loses a phone or gets it stolen/pickpocketed? I mean... is there a way in 2020 that cerberus not only survive a factory reset, but actually works after it, meaning: the phone that gets factory reseted keeps its roots functions and stealthly sends info to the cerberus website etc?

Yes, but it doesn't work like this on a Magisk rooted phone.
27th January 2020, 10:18 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I see. In 2020, is it possible to have a root that isn't systemless and a phone/apps that won't lose a lot of functions? Or if they do, workarounds that are effective? Honest question.
27th January 2020, 10:48 PM |#9  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by baco_852

Quote:
Originally Posted by iruiz2

Yes, but it doesn't work like this on a Magisk rooted phone.

It has nothing to do with Magisk being systemless root (so was SuperSU). On most devices you can still edit /system, but most modern devices are now SAR devices (system-as-root), so in order to edit the system partition you actually have to edit the root directory (/). It's up to the app developers to make that work.

But, Google has twisted it a bit further with Android 10 and there are now devices that have completely read-only system partitions that are impossible to write to. You can still do systemless modifications with Magisk, but features like Cerberus' factory reset protection won't work.

What I've written here is quite simplified, so if anyone is interested to know more I urge you to do your own research. There's tons of stuff written about this already...
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
3rd February 2020, 11:32 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I posted a thread that allows the Cerberus app to survive a factory reset. (Even if your device is rooted with Magisk).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...9#post81673039
The Following User Says Thank You to FredMontteiro For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FredMontteiro Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)