FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Module][Pie] QuickSwitch - Universal Quickstep Enabler

1,197 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,265

Post Reply Email Thread
QuickSwitch - A universal quickstep solution

QuickSwitch is a module which allows the user to change which launcher has access to quickstep (Pie recents). It's future proof, detects which launchers are capable of being the recents provider, and is fairly simple to use.

Requirements:
- Android Pie.
- Magisk 18.0+
- A launcher which can be used as a recents provider.

Installation:
To use the module, simply follow the instructions:

1. Flash this module.
2. Reboot.
3. Open the QuickSwitch app that was installed.
4. Select a different launcher as your recents provider.
5. Reboot.
6. Verify your new recents provider is correct.
7. Set the new recents provider as the default launcher.
8. Profit.

After switching providers and rebooting, make sure the current provider is the default home app and you should notice that whilst in the launcher the back button is gone and you'll have the full Pie recents experience.

To switch providers after the initial install just open the app, select a new provider and reboot.

Updating:
To update, just flash the module over itself.

Uninstallation:
To uninstall the module, use the bin icon in magisk manager. Your recents provider will go back to default and your launcher will return to being a user app.

Logging:
QuickSwitch saves all its logs to /sbin/.magisk/img/quickstepswitcher/logs/ and /sdcard/Documents/quickstepswitcher/ all logs belonging to QuickSwitch begin with quickstepswitcher. If you have any issues with the module send all 4 log files in a compressed archive.

Compatibility:
As stated earlier, the QuickSwitch app auto-detects which launchers are compatible so it's going to be difficult to say a definitive list. But for an easy explanation, I'll just say that all stock Pie launchers will work as long as they are either ported to other devices or are installed by default on your device.
Currently, the only custom launchers which work as providers are Lawnchair and
hyperion.

Disclaimer:
No, Nova Launcher is NOT compatible and from what they've stated on Twitter, I doubt they will ever be compatible.

Misc:
- You can grab the source for the module here

The SystemUI option will grant you Oreo style recents.

Credits:
- @paphonb for the QuickSwitch app and the initial concept and idea of a universal Quickstep enabler.

- The Lawnchair and Hyperion team's for initial testing of the module.

Download:
Download the latest version here (the file that says "QuickSwitch-vx.x.x", if you choose source it isn't a flashable zip.) or in the Magisk repo.

Release details:
Current version: 2.0.0
Last updated: 24-3-2019

Created: 28-12-2018
The Following 90 Users Say Thank You to Skittles9823 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Skittles9823 Ad-Free

31st December 2018, 02:25 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
FAQ

What does this module do?
The only thing this module does is changes which launcher controls your recents

Can I get app actions, or recents text/picture selection with this module?
This module doesn't control what features a launcher has. All it does is grant the launcher more permissions and enable a launchers access to recents.

The module doesn't work. I rebooted but the provider reverted back to default.
This is generally a bug with Huawei devices and devices which have the /product/overlay/ dir. Essentially they make it harder to place an overlay there because the directory isn't mounted and certain people flash a noverity zip which removes /product from fstab so it can't be mounted at all.

This bug is being actively worked on but it may take some time as i don't have a device that has the issue.

How to get Oreo/Oreo Grid recents?
For Oreo recents simply set your recents provider to SystemUI and reboot.

For grid recents follow these instructions:
1. Set the recents provider to SystemUI
2. Add a file named grid.sh in /data/adb/service.d
3. Paste this in the file and save it resetprop ro.recents.grid true
4. Make sure it has 755 permissions.
5. Reboot.

The FAQ will grow as more questions come to mind.

OEM Launcher Ports

You MUST follow this guide for the ports to work correctly!
1. Install QuickSwitch
2. Install the apk, don't set it as your default launcher.
3. With any other launcher, open QuickSwitch
4. Set your desired launcher as your recents provider.
5. Reboot.
6. Verify the launcher is the current recents provider in QuickSwitch
7. Set the selected as your default launcher
8. Profit

Known compatible launchers

Launcher previews in hide tags as they are rather big
Launchers available in the attachments have been ported by @paphonb

OEM launchers
OnePlus Launcher port by @paphonb
This launcher is one of the most unique ports currently available. Primarily because it ports almost all of the gestures it uses on OOS. All except the back gesture work (if you'd like to add it you must use something like Fluid Navigation Gestures). Besides the gestures it doesn't come with a dock in recents. Simply a clear all FAB and three dot menus on each app in recents.

Pixel Launcher
The generic Pixel launcher everyone knows and loves. A simple UI but with compatibility of every Actions Services function including recents text/picture selection. Something no launcher has ported yet.
It can be downloaded, here

Samsung Experience Launcher port by @paphonb
This port is in progress but it's quite beautiful. Especially the closing and opening animations.
It's not ready for a public release yet.

ZenUI Launcher port by @paphonb
This launcher from ASUS is another unique launcher. It's recents UI is similar to Samsung's recents UI but it accommodates big screens with everything accessible at the bottom of the screen. It also comes with some other goodies.

Custom launchers
hyperion launcher
hyperion is a custom launcher from the developers of Substratum. It features lots of custom features and a beautiful design.

Lawnchair Launcher
Lawnchair was the first custom launcher to attain Pie recents functionality with the help of paphonb, Deletescape and myself.
It features several unique additions including blur in recents and App Actions in the app drawer when it's the recents provider, as well as custom roundness in recents.

Oreo recents
Oreo recents
QuickSwitch has the functionality to provide any device with Oreo style recents by selecting the SystemUI option and rebooting.

Oreo Grid recents
You can also get grid style Oreo recents if you follow the instructions in the FAQ.
Attached Files
File Type: apk OnePlusLauncher.apk - [Click for QR Code] (9.91 MB, 1504 views)
File Type: apk ZenUILauncher.apk - [Click for QR Code] (14.51 MB, 1046 views)
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Skittles9823 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Skittles9823 Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 02:34 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Common Issues & How To Fix

No animations
Make sure to not use Titanium Backup to restore ANY launcher that works with QuickSwitch while it's the recents provider or a system app. As that will cause Titanium Backup to restore it to /system/app and QuickSwitch won't systemize it or grant it permissions it needs.

Boot script failed
If the boot script fails, that means the overlay did not copy over. Make sure to provide logs when this happens by following the logging tutorial in the OP.

Boot script did not run
If this happens, it means the boot scripts did not execute. This shouldn't happen unless either your Magisk install is broken in which case you should reinstall Magisk from scratch, or your using the module rootless and don't have init.d support (some versions prior to 1.1.3 have a broken rootless install so wait for 1.1.3 and this issue should be fixed when not using magisk).

Launcher is constantly crashing
This generally means you are using a launcher port and didn't follow the instructions correctly. Here is a refresher:
1. Install QuickSwitch.
2. Install the apk, don't set it as your default launcher.
3. With any other launcher, open QuickSwitch.
4. Set your desired launcher as your recents provider.
5. Reboot.
6. Verify the new launcher is now your recents provider in QuickSwitch.
7. Set the selected as your default launcher.
8. Profit.

If the launcher still crashes afterward get the module logs and a crash log using https://del.dog/scoop

Bluetooth/Reception/WiFi not working
The RIL issues are a rom problem. A few users have identified this as the fix, at least in certain devices. I'd suggest asking your device maintainer to implement it and see if it fixes the issue.

https://github.com/evolution-x-devic...3c478d773bbaaf
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Skittles9823 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Skittles9823 Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 08:26 AM |#4  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Great!

Works well on this setup:
OnePlus 6
Pixel Experience ROM
Lawnchair Alpha 721
Quickstep 1.0.6

Just one issue that I've had before. I use Fluid NG to get access to navigation gestures on Pixel software. It removes the navbar by moving it to the invisible area "under" your display or something. In HTML world, this would have to do with margins and padding.
The result is this:
The moving of the navbar also affects the recently opened apps. They are moved down as well

With the navbar on, it looks alright:
Navbar wasn't moved, recents don't have a problem

Is it possible for you to fix this or provide an option to do so? Maybe by doing a reverse-padding for the app previews or something like that? 😋 I'll be happy to assist further.
31st December 2018, 09:54 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwarzerfleck

Great!

Works well on this setup:
OnePlus 6
Pixel Experience ROM
Lawnchair Alpha 721
Quickstep 1.0.6

Just one issue that I've had before. I use Fluid NG to get access to navigation gestures on Pixel software. It removes the navbar by moving it to the invisible area "under" your display or something. In HTML world, this would have to do with margins and padding.
The result is this:

With the navbar on, it looks alright:

Is it possible for you to fix this or provide an option to do so? Maybe by doing a reverse-padding for the app previews or something like that? 😋 I'll be happy to assist further.

Yea that's a lawnchair issue. We are aware of it and it will be worked on in a later update.

Sent from my LGE Nexus 5X using XDA Labs
The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles9823 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Skittles9823 Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 09:57 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Nice working great on (oneplus 6t - oos 9.0.10), o used horizontal old style and Lawnchair and booth of them works great,
Thanks a lot..

I hope someone support the (grid recent) soon
31st December 2018, 10:00 AM |#7  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 136

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles9823

Yea that's a lawnchair issue. We are aware of it and it will be worked on in a later update.

Thanks a lot for the heads-up. Enjoy your holidays!
The Following User Says Thank You to schwarzerfleck For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift schwarzerfleck Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 10:10 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qutayba Khader

Nice working great on (oneplus 6t - oos 9.0.10), o used horizontal old style and Lawnchair and booth of them works great,
Thanks a lot..

I hope someone support the (grid recent) soon

Grid recents might still be able to be enabled via a build.prop value but I'm not sure.

31st December 2018, 11:52 AM |#9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 298

More
I tried flashing quickstep through magisk and twrp and got a failed to install error. I'm on stock pie.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gordietm For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Gordietm Ad-Free
31st December 2018, 12:11 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Sydney

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordietm

I tried flashing quickstep through magisk and twrp and got a failed to install error. I'm on stock pie.

Would you mind sending a recovery log so I could see the error?

31st December 2018, 12:16 PM |#11  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 298

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittles9823

Would you mind sending a recovery log so I could see the error?

I'm sorry, but how do I get a recovery log?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
magisk, pie, quickstep, quickswitch, recents

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)