1,499 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,316

Post Reply Email Thread
# MagicGApps
## Copyright (C) 2017-2018, VR25 @ xda-developers
### License: GPL v3+

---
#### DISCLAIMER

This software is provided as is, in the hope that it will be useful, but without any warranty. Always read/reread this reference prior to installing/upgrading. While no cats have been harmed, I assume no responsibility under anything which might go wrong due to the use/misuse of it.

A copy of the GNU General Public License, version 3 or newer ships with every build. Please, read it prior to using, modifying and/or sharing any part of this work.

To prevent fraud, DO NOT mirror any link associated with this project.

---
#### DESCRIPTION

- This module installs a regular open_gapps-* zip (except aroma variant) systemlessly. When it's disabled, Google Play Services are automatically disabled on the next boot as well. This prevents continuous, disturbing gms crashes.

---
#### PRE-REQUISITES

- Any open_gapps-* zip, except aroma variant
- Custom recovery
- Magisk

---
#### SETUP STEPS

0. Make sure an open_gapps-* zip (except aroma variant) exists somewhere in /sdcard or /external_sd directories or subdirectories (max directory depth must be 3 -- i.e., /sdcard/Download/OpenGApps).
1. Optional -- run `touch /data/r` to
reinstall open_gapps-* zip (or `touch
/data/u` to uninstall the module).
2. Optional -- set up a gapps-config.txt file (removal lists work as pseudo-removal lists -- systemless debloat).
3. Install from custom recovery (i.e., TWRP).

---
#### LINKS

- [Facebook Support Page](https://facebook.com/VR25-at-xda-dev...58150974794782)
- [Git Repository](https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/MagicGApps)
- [XDA Thread](https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...7-1-x-t3611362)
- [webview_packages: fix incorrect signatures]( https://github.com/LineageOS/android...bb3a786e1605c3)

---
#### LATEST CHANGES

**2018.9.23 (201809230)**
- Max OpenGApps search directory depth set to 3 for faster speed.
- Support for latest Magisk versions
- Updated documentation
- Use /dev/urandom over /dev/random.
- Use Magisk imgtool over make_ext4fs and resize2fs.

**2018.8.12 (201808120)**
- Added GMS Manager script -- automatically enables/disables Google Play Services when MagicGApps is enabled/disabled; self-remove when MagicGApps is uninstalled
- Updated module description

**2018.8.11 (201808110)**
- Fixed GApps runtime permission issues
- Fixed "make_ext4fs not found" (devices running Android P)
- Let Open GApps installer use the real /persist
- Major optimizations & cosmetic changes
- Removed `gp` executable
- Updated documentation
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free

24th May 2017, 05:32 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Archive
Attached Files
File Type: zip MagicGApps-2018.7.24-1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (25.8 KB, 1270 views)
File Type: zip MagicGApps-2018.8.11.zip - [Click for QR Code] (19.2 KB, 226 views)
File Type: zip MagicGApps-2018.8.12.zip - [Click for QR Code] (20.0 KB, 1228 views)
File Type: zip MagicGApps-2018.9.23.zip - [Click for QR Code] (20.4 KB, 3912 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
24th May 2017, 05:32 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Reserved
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
25th May 2017, 11:34 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
++Reserved++
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
25th May 2017, 02:04 PM |#5  
Flag somewhere in the mountains of north carolina
Thanks Meter: 343

Donate to Me
More
Hey! thanks for all your Magisk mods, I noticed you posted a few in the Collection of Magisk Mods v2 thread.

I'm curious about this one though. What is it for? No offense, I just don't understand why you'd need or want Beans core Gapps to be systemless.

Especially since A) they usually always occupy that space on /system, 2) the /system partition has plenty of room for the mini Gapps (and often much larger packages) after clean installing a ROM, and thirdly I thought the whole point of Magisk and systemlessness was to have an intact and "normal" /system.

Being able to hide root is one of the coolest things about Magisk, closely followed by installing modules "systemlessly", where they don't actually take up space on your system partition but act like they do.

In essence, I think my point is that I assumed Magisk systemlessness is designed for quite the opposite purpose of this mod. Why have empty room on your system partition (where the Gapps usually reside) AND have the ability to use systemless mods -- which inherently don't utilize the system partition, by design?

tl;dr:
If you're using Magisk for "systemlessness", why leave unused space on the system partition? If the Gapps are stored on /data, you have less usable space on the device.

Again, I mean no offense. The more I think about it the less sense it makes to me. Please explain why you made this and what its advantages are! I would love to understand.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to borxnx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift borxnx Ad-Free
25th May 2017, 07:46 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by borxnx

Hey! thanks for all your Magisk mods, I noticed you posted a few in the Collection of Magisk Mods v2 thread.

I'm curious about this one though. What is it for? No offense, I just don't understand why you'd need or want Beans core Gapps to be systemless.

First of, thanks for the questioning. I thought somebody would feel confused at some point... and here we go. I just added my reasoning to the main post. You'll love it at best and like it at worst. Guaranteed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
25th May 2017, 10:25 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 61

More
Sorry for OT but, how do you make backup for magisk.img? 🙄
25th May 2017, 10:45 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkhen0017

Sorry for OT but, how do you make backup for magisk.img? 🙄

The file is located in /data. Use a file manager with root access to copy it to a desired location for future use. I personally use TWRP's built in file manager.
The Following User Says Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
26th May 2017, 03:54 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
No offense. Some people prefer the Nova launcher instead of the Pixel launcher, so I hope you don't add the pixel launcher
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aocboe For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift aocboe Ad-Free
26th May 2017, 05:01 PM |#10  
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 488

More
Dope concept and module. Will I be able to manually update Gapps from the Nightly updates, or do I have to wait for you to push from your end?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mecca EL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mecca EL Ad-Free
26th May 2017, 05:59 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aocboe

No offense. Some people prefer the Nova launcher instead of the Pixel launcher, so I hope you don't add the pixel launcher

Thanks for your suggestion. I'll add Nova Launcher in the next version. Now I remember it is actually better than Pixel Launcher anyway.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
gapps, open gapps, opengapps, systemless gapps

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)