FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2019.4.4] Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode (mm)

1,499 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,312
 
Post Reply Email Thread
# Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode (mm)



## LEGAL

Copyright (C) 2017-2019, VR25 @ xda-developers

This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.



## DISCLAIMER

Always read/reread this reference prior to installing/upgrading this software.

While no cats have been harmed, the author assumes no responsibility for anything that might break due to the use/misuse of it.

To prevent fraud, do NOT mirror any link associated with this project; do NOT share builds (zips)! Share official links instead.



## DESCRIPTION

- Manage your Magisk modules from recovery (e.g., TWRP) -- run "sh /sdcard/mm" on recovery terminal.

Features list
- Automatically fix magisk.img (e2fsck -fy)
- List installed modules
- Toggle
- Core only mode
- Magic mount
- Disable
- Remove



## PREREQUISITE

- Magisk 17-19



## SETUP

- Install
1. Flash live (e.g., from Magisk Manager) or from custom recovery (e.g., TWRP).

- Uninstall
- Use Magisk Manager app or mm itself (supports `uninstall.sh`, too).



## USAGE

- First time (right after installing/updating) - run `mm` or `sh /sdcard/mm` on recovery terminal.
- Next times (while in recovery) - no need to re-flash the zip; simply run `sh /sdcard/mm` on recovery terminal.
- Follow the instructions/wizard. Everything is interactive.
- Pro tip: lazy people can try running `*/mm` instead of `sh /sdcard/mm`.



## LINKS

- [Donate](https://paypal.me/vr25xda/)
- [Facebook page](https://facebook.com/VR25-at-xda-dev...8150974794782/)
- [Git repository](https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Repo/mm)
- [Telegram channel](https://t.me/vr25_xda/)
- [Telegram profile](https://t.me/vr25xda/)
- [XDA thread](https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...-mode-t3693165)



## LATEST CHANGES

**2019.4.4 (201904040)**
- Complete redesign
- Magisk 17-19 support (including `uninstall.sh`)
- Toggle core only mode
- Updated information (copyright, documentation, and module description)

**2018.8.1 (201808010)**
- General optimizations
- New & simplified installer
- Striped down (removed unnecessary code & files)
- Updated documentation

**2018.7.24 (201807240)**
- Fixed modPath detection issue (Magisk 16.6).
- Updated documentation
The Following 146 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
 
 
23rd October 2017, 07:32 AM |#2  
VR25's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,312
 
Donate to Me
More
Archive
Attached Files
File Type: zip mm-2018.7.24.zip - [Click for QR Code] (21.6 KB, 5570 views)
File Type: zip mm-2018.8.1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (19.7 KB, 20642 views)
File Type: zip mm-201904040.zip - [Click for QR Code] (22.8 KB, 4200 views)
The Following 56 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
23rd October 2017, 10:20 AM |#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
More
Hey not sure whether this is right thread to ask, if not please redirect me.

I'm on AOKP, banking apps are detecting root and not allowing to access it, so I was asked to use Magisk.

Can you tell me how do I install it? Can I just download Magisk Manager and Magisk flash it via twrp? I'm noob to all rooting man
23rd October 2017, 10:41 AM |#4  
Didgeridoohan's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 6,699
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToAndroid

Hey not sure whether this is right thread to ask, if not please redirect me.

I'm on AOKP, banking apps are detecting root and not allowing to access it, so I was asked to use Magisk.

Can you tell me how do I install it? Can I just download Magisk Manager and Magisk flash it via twrp? I'm noob to all rooting man

Yeah... You took a serious wrong turn.

Start by reading these threads:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3473445
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...oting-t3641417

And if you need help, post here (with lots of details):
https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...mless-t3432382
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
23rd October 2017, 01:10 PM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 7
 
More
Sorry, maybe for my language, but I can not understand what this module is doing.

Enviado desde mi MI 5s Plus mediante Tapatalk
23rd October 2017, 02:22 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 297
 
More
Hi,

Great idea! I'll check and comment.
Please, add it to the official repository.
It includes one option to enable/disable Magisk Core Mode Only?

And one suggestion: provide a ZIP file for launch directly the "mm" command without opening the Terminal (or use Aroma Installer).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manos78 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manos78 Ad-Free
23rd October 2017, 07:46 PM |#7  
VR25's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,312
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitram08

Sorry, maybe for my language, but I can not understand what this module is doing.

Enviado desde mi MI 5s Plus mediante Tapatalk

You should at least have basic understanding of what Magisk is and how it operates before jumping onto this thread. If you don't know what I mean by "Magisk Manager for Recovery Mode," then you've been skipping steps. I can't help you before you help yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manos78

Hi,

Great idea! I'll check and comment.
Please, add it to the official repository.
It includes one option to enable/disable Magisk Core Mode Only?

And one suggestion: provide a ZIP file for launch directly the "mm" command without opening the Terminal (or use Aroma Installer).

Currently limited to the features listed. New capabilities will be added over time. The ability to manage Magisk settings is already in the works. Repo submission status -- awaiting approval.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
26th October 2017, 12:59 PM |#8  
dodgyme's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Norcross
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Firstly, thank you. I've used another mod that allows using terminal to get rid of modules but it's not as fluid in usage as this one. However, i have one question; While i was able to use it in recovery, I'm not sure I understand clearly about whether or not this can be used while the system is fully loaded. I tried accessing the app through the os terminal but it acts as if I'm entering the wrong command. In twrp i did as you said and typed "mm" and it pulled right up. Yet, when i try the instructions that follow afterward to access the module while in the os, it tells me it can't be found. Am i missing something or is this only available through recovery?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodgyme For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dodgyme Ad-Free
26th October 2017, 05:21 PM |#9  
VR25's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,312
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyme

Firstly, thank you. I've used another mod that allows using terminal to get rid of modules but it's not as fluid in usage as this one. However, i have one question; While i was able to use it in recovery, I'm not sure I understand clearly about whether or not this can be used while the system is fully loaded. I tried accessing the app through the os terminal but it acts as if I'm entering the wrong command. In twrp i did as you said and typed "mm" and it pulled right up. Yet, when i try the instructions that follow afterward to access the module while in the os, it tells me it can't be found. Am i missing something or is this only available through recovery?

The "module" part is only meant for updating the tool through Magisk Manager.
So, you don't have to constantly check XDA/GitHub for newer versions.

@Nitram08, if that's what you meant, sorry about the first answer! Next time, PLEASE give more detail, or you might get very similar reactions.
A basic rule of thumb:
- Poor info = "nothing happened -- bad post".
26th October 2017, 05:42 PM |#10  
dodgyme's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Norcross
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Hmmmmm
So, just to clarify, it can only be used in twrp? If not, what's the exact command to use when I'm actually in the Android system using whatever terminal app I might be using...???

I ask because this part of your instructions confuses me:

"Else (after installing & rebooting) -- run `. /data/magisk/mm`."

My understanding suggests I can use it while in the actual system but when I use my terminal app it tells me it's not found...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dodgyme For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dodgyme Ad-Free
26th October 2017, 06:21 PM |#11  
VR25's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,312
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyme

So, just to clarify, it can only be used in twrp? If not, what's the exact command to use when I'm actually in the Android system using whatever terminal app I might be using...???

I ask because this part of your instructions confuses me:

"Else (after installing & rebooting) -- run `. /data/magisk/mm`."

My understanding suggests I can use it while in the actual system but when I use my terminal app it tells me it's not found...

Yeah... that line should be "after installing & rebooting into recovery". So, this is built for use in recovery mode only.
Instead of re-flashing every single time you need it, you simply run ". /data/magisk/mm" That is "dot space /magisk/mm".

In short
- First time (right after installing/updating) -- run "mm" (on recovery terminal)
- Next times (while in recovery) -- no need to re-flash the zip; simply run ". /data/magisk/mm" on terminal.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VR25 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift VR25 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
magisk, magisk manager, module, recovery, twrp

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes