FORUMS

[MODULE] Unlimited T-Mobile LTE tethering

549 posts
Thanks Meter: 192

By dustintinsley, Senior Member on 29th September 2019, 06:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This module *should* hide you data usage while tethering, allowing you to have, in theory, unlimited tethering. I just threw it together and it is NOT fully tested to see if it 100% prevents monitoring of data usage. Let me know you thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: zip tmobile_unlimited_tethering.zip - [Click for QR Code] (74.7 KB, 556 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dustintinsley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dustintinsley Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 03:14 PM |#2  
Flag North Texas
Thanks Meter: 581

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustintinsley

This module *should* hide you data usage while tethering, allowing you to have, in theory, unlimited tethering. I just threw it together and it is NOT fully tested to see if it 100% prevents monitoring of data usage. Let me know you thoughts.

Might be a good idea to share the methodology basics you are using instead of folks needing to install and stress test their limited tethering. From what I have seen on my T-Mobile account, creating a noprovisioning custom prop like this https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...xel-3-t3858662 is working and continues to work on Android 10.
The Following User Says Thank You to sliding_billy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sliding_billy Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 03:54 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy

Might be a good idea to share the methodology basics you are using instead of folks needing to install and stress test their limited tethering. From what I have seen on my T-Mobile account, creating a noprovisioning custom prop like this https://forum.xda-developers.com/pix...xel-3-t3858662 is working and continues to work on Android 10.

The method used is my module is exactly the same as your link, with the addition of also editing the T-Mobile APNs to add "dun" to the APN.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustintinsley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dustintinsley Ad-Free
30th September 2019, 07:30 PM |#4  
Flag North Texas

More
Quote:

The method used is my module is exactly the same as your link, with the addition of also editing the T-Mobile APNs to add "dun" to the APN.

Good deal. I have been hesitant to add DUN to the apn type since I am seeing no tethering charges. Mind you, I also use it so infrequently that even if they were to see my usage it wouldn't exceed my cap.
30th September 2019, 11:12 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy

Good deal. I have been hesitant to add DUN to the apn type since I am seeing no tethering charges. Mind you, I also use it so infrequently that even if they were to see my usage it would exceed my cap.

it seems to work very well with it added...
The Following User Says Thank You to dustintinsley For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dustintinsley Ad-Free
1st October 2019, 07:50 AM |#6  
Flag North Texas

More
Quote:

it seems to work very well with it added...

Since I have everything else done already, can you send me the value string you have saved in the APN type?
5th October 2019, 06:30 AM |#7  
Flag North East
Thanks Meter: 1,447

More
Hey @dustintinsley, first I appreciate this little mod. Thank you.

I just flashed via TWRP, I will do some testing to see if it's working, but one thing you mentioned, it also adds dun. Well after I flashed and booted, I went to settings mobile data apn and reset the apn, and I'm not seeing ,dun under apn type. Should it be there? Or no?

Thanks Dustin

EDIT: ok, few hours later, after I flashed your mod in twrp.

I watched YouTube for like an hour straight, and I just got a notification saying I used a certain % of my hotspot data. So unless I did something wrong, it's being reported as hotspot and it's definitely not working for me..

I'm on the OnePlus 7 pro, Android 10 on T-mobile. With TWRP 3.3.1-70 by muaranofrio and magisk canary.

Please advise. Thank you again Dustin
5th October 2019, 01:59 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
No need to reset your APN after flashing. Can you take a screenshot of your APN settings? DUN should be there but I may have missed some APNs so a screenshot could help
5th October 2019, 05:26 PM |#9  
Flag North East
Thanks Meter: 1,447

More
Quote:

No need to reset your APN after flashing. Can you take a screenshot of your APN settings? DUN should be there but I may have missed some APNs so a screenshot could help

No problem, appreciate your time.

Ok I didn't reset. Here is the screens of the apn after I flashed your zip in twrp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-122324.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	4836133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-122408.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	4836135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191005-122414.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	4836137  
5th October 2019, 06:56 PM |#10  
Flag North Texas

More
Is the module creating a new APN or attempting to modify the existing (grayed out) one?
5th October 2019, 08:33 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheetzie03

No problem, appreciate your time.

Ok I didn't reset. Here is the screens of the apn after I flashed your zip in twrp.

Odd. I will have a look at it. I am also on a OnePlus 7 Pro, but on Android 9 still. Maybe it is something with Android 10? I will have to install 10 and have a look.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)