Latest Stable Magisk Version: v14.0
Latest Magisk Manager Version: v5.4.0
Hello, welcome to the official Magisk Release / Announcement thread!
Magisk can ROOT your device, along with standard common patches.
It packs with a super powerful Universal Systemless Interface, allowing unlimited potential!
Magisk modifies boot image and add files to /data and /cache
It touches your /system partition only if root installed in /system is detected!
- 100% fully open source and easy to build!
- Magic Mount:
Allow you to do any system (vendor) modification without actually tampering the partitions.
Anything can be loaded with Magisk systemless-ly!
- MagiskSU: Open Source Root Solution
Root your device with MagiskSU, based on phh's Superuser, which is based on CM Superuser.
- Magisk Manager:
MagiskSU Root Management, Upgrade Magisk in-app,
Manage, Upgrade, Download, Install Magisk Modules from the community driven online Magisk Module Repo.
- Magisk Hide:
Hide Magisk from detection, mainly targeting Google's SafetyNet
Allow you to do any modifications to system props (build.prop), including read-only props.
It is also used along with magiskhide for tricking various device states
- Multiple Entry Points:
Provide several entry points to developers, reliably pausing the boot process before everything is done.
Include post-fs (cache) mode, which happens even earlier than data is mounted (used to replace Boot Animation etc.)
- Standard Stuffs:
Remove dm-verity, forceencrypt, unlock partitions blocks to support remount to rw
If you already have Magisk installed, you can directly upgrade through Magisk Manager
For installing Magisk the first time
- Make sure to remove any other root, best to restore your boot image back to stock
- Via custom recovery:
- Download the latest Magisk zip file
- Reboot to a custom recovery and flash the flashable zip
- This method does not need root, and also does not require a custom recovery.
However, you MUST have a stock boot image dump beforehand, and also be able to flash the patched boot image, either through fastboot/download mode or ODIN
- Install the latest Magisk Manager
- If you're planning to flash the patched boot image through ODIN, go to Settings > Update Settings > Patched Boot Output Format, and select .img.tar. For normal users leave it as the default .img
- Press Install > Install > Patch Boot Image File, and select your stock boot image file
- Magisk Manager will now patch your boot image, and store it in [Internal Storage]/MagiskManager/patched_boot.img[.tar]
- Flash the patched boot image to your device and reboot. Voilà!
- Check whether Magisk Manager is installed and the version matches the latest one in the OP
If for some reason Magisk Manager isn't installed/upgraded automatically, please install it manually
- Some Motorolla devices' stock kernel ships with a flawed F2FS implementation. You can either choose to change to a custom kernel with the fix, or the functionality will be limited to only core-only mode
- Magisk Manager CANNOT be placed in adoptable storage, or superuser will not work
- Q: WebView is crashing on my device when I enable MagiskHide!
A: It's a bug in your ROM, please ask your ROM developer to include this commit to fix the issue
- The addon.d survival only works on newer TWRP versions, because addon.d was never updated to patch boot image, we are using a small trick to make things work.
- If Magisk Manager crashes first try to clear the application data before reporting.
- MagiskHide does not work on devices running Linux kernel version lower than 3.8
These old kernels lack critical features for hiding Magisk, so it CANNOT be fixed
However, some OEM backports many Linux features back to older kernels, so trying it yourself would be the best bet
- Some of the ASUS devices requires boot image signing, search the forums and sign them yourselves.
- Sony Stock ELF Boot: Please refer to the info when flashing Magisk in custom recovery
- Q: Safety Net isn't working!
A: Try to toggle MagiskHide in Magisk Manager on/off. The toggle will kill target processes so it will re-run again, or maybe MagiskHide isn't started for some reason
- Q: Safety Net still fails!
A: Magisk can only tested to hide Magisk core features, for Magisk modules it depends on what the module does; most modules will be hidden properly.
If your ROM itself is not able to pass SafetyNet, then there is nothing Magisk can help.
Your best bet is 100% stock ROMs, because your phone manufacturer is forced to release a device passing CTS.
- Q: My device is not supported!
A: Please open an issue on Github, along with your boot image uploaded. No boot image, no fix.
- I spent endless hours creating Magisk. If you like my work, feel free to donate.
- Magisk Documentation Table of Contents
- OTA Installation Tips
- Magisk Manager Tips
- More troubleshooting
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk (Magisk main repo)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/magiskpolicy (sepolicy tools used in both Magisk and MagiskSU)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/MagiskSU (Open source root)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/selinux (libsepol for magiskpolicy and Superuser)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/ndk-compression (all compression libraries used in MagiskBoot)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/ndk-busybox-kitchen (patch busybox sources and generate headers and Android.mk based on config)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/ndk-busybox (ndk-build compilable busybox source generated with ndk-busybox-kitchen)
- https://github.com/topjohnwu/MagiskManager (Magisk Manager)
- @phhusson for his advice with sepolicy and his sepolicy injection tool, boot image tools, hide su tools, superuser
- @Chainfire for many shell script code, his supolicy in older versions, and the complete documentation How-To SU
- @nkk71 for his original resetprop
- @osm0sis for his shell script magic: unSU, addon.d, also providing numerous support for all kinds of boot image unpacking knowledge
- @Captain_Throwback, @Didgeridoohan, and @jenslody for being the beta testing MVP
- @digitalhigh and @DVDandroid for initial contributions to Magisk Manager
Removed Files Total Download Count: 2,249,043
v1: 8746 v2: 2251 v3: 3790 v4: 1220
v5: 2914 v6: 138838 v7: 119744 v8: 116796
v9: 203836 v10.2: 215176 v11.1: 573322 v11.6:438886
v13.0(beta): 274438 v13.3: 137546 v14.1:11512