FORUMS

Switch from 'Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' to 'Preserve force encryption'?

75 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By orifori, Member on 1st August 2018, 08:45 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
My old phone had full device encryption and I installed Magisk with 'Preserve force encryption' checked - absolutely no problems.

My new phone (Samsung Galaxy S9+) was decrypted after installing TWRP, then installed Magisk with 'Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' checked. Again no problems.

Now I want to encrypt my phone (Lock screen and security -> Encrypt device) and I am wondering when exactly and how to switch from 'Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' to 'Preserve force encryption' in Magisk? Shall I first encrypt or shall I first change options in Magisk and then encrypt? Or maybe remove root and Magisk, then encrypt and then install Magisk (which seems the safest but most efforts consuming option)?
1st August 2018, 09:20 AM |#2  
Forum Moderator / Developer Relations
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 11,165

Donate to Me
More
If you enable the "Preserve forced encryption" toggle in the Manager and then straight away install Magisk again, your device should encrypt itself on the next boot.

You can of course also just encrypt the device from the Android settings, without doing anything else. Having the forced encryption flag disabled by Magisk doesn't matter in this respect. It'll just mean that if you happen to format your /data partition at some point, it'll be unencrypted again.
1st August 2018, 09:59 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
Thank you! On a separate note - what will happen with TWRP since it cannot read encrypted containers? Would at least be possible to backup (although it would be information TWRP itself would not be able to read) and restore or TWRP will be totally useless?
1st August 2018, 10:16 AM |#4  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
If TWRP can't deal with your device's encryption, it'll not be able to do anything with the encrypted partition.
10th August 2018, 09:08 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Attempt failed.

First, before encryption, I tried to untick 'Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' and to tick 'Preserve force encryption' - but Magisk keeps changing this to the initial status ('Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' ticked and 'Preserve force encryption' unticked).

Then I proceeded to standard full device encryption (Lock screen and security -> Encrypt device). The process started but only after a minute the phone rebooted and cannot boot actually - error message 'Encryption unsuccessful. Encryption process interrrupted bla-bla-bla... You need to hard reset device to factory settings'. And the only way out of this screen is the Reset button.

So now I am wondering how to "save the day" the easy way (without formatting, installing dm-verity, restoring TWRP backup, etc.). Anyone has an idea how to proceed? If there is no easy way, at least the way which someone has already used successfully. The only thing I tried was installing no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip in TWRP but nothing different happens afterwards.
10th August 2018, 09:36 AM |#6  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by orifori

Attempt failed.

First, before encryption, I tried to untick 'Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' and to tick 'Preserve force encryption' - but Magisk keeps changing this to the initial status ('Preserve AVB 2.0/dm-verity' ticked and 'Preserve force encryption' unticked).

The check-boxes in the Magisk Manager will only do something if you straight away install Magisk after having changed them. If you change their state, exit the Manager, and then open the Manager again, they will return to the initial status. Magisk will have to re-patch the boot image with the new setting.

Quote:

Then I proceeded to standard full device encryption (Lock screen and security -> Encrypt device). The process started but only after a minute the phone rebooted and cannot boot actually - error message 'Encryption unsuccessful. Encryption process interrrupted bla-bla-bla... You need to hard reset device to factory settings'. And the only way out of this screen is the Reset button.

So now I am wondering how to "save the day" the easy way (without formatting, installing dm-verity, restoring TWRP backup, etc.). Anyone has an idea how to proceed? If there is no easy way, at least the way which someone has already used successfully. The only thing I tried was installing no-verity-opt-encrypt-samsung-1.0.zip in TWRP but nothing different happens afterwards.

Actually, I don't think you can encrypt your device if you have a custom recovery installed. Something like that, at least... You'll have to look it up to confirm.
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
10th August 2018, 09:46 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Just tried to restore through TWRP (boot, system, data excl. storage) - absolutely no change! Attempts (all of which unsuccessful):
1 - Wiped Dalvik cache - same result. The very same black screen asking me to factory reset device but in TWRP I have access to the whole filesystem which means that the phone it NOT encrypted.
2 - Then I flashed stock rom in Odin and TWRP disappeared (replaced by Android recovery). But the black screen asking me to factory reset is still there!!!
3 - After this total mess went down the hard way - from hard reset to TWRP restore.

Now I am only wondering why TWRP wouldn't be able to restore?! I though that restored TWRP backup would bring the phone exactly in the sate in which it was during the backup.
19th March 2019, 03:40 PM |#8  
Hey guys, time to pay homage to the departed.
Necroposting here!
Howdy do, Mr Didge! Long time no see, read, text! Business humming along, i see!
I wanted to ask for a soul to take pity on me, i beg you, do tell, does decrypting, automatically and immediately, no ifs, ands, or buts, mean buhbye to the lockscreen? Because ive tried about everything there is to no success, my head hurts from banging it at the wall for months (since I'm the type of guy who'll hardly ask), but i give up! 6T, actually is where i have the problem (disregard what'll say below). Thanks!

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using XDA Labs
19th March 2019, 05:58 PM |#9  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by culiacanazo

Hey guys, time to pay homage to the departed.
Necroposting here!
Howdy do, Mr Didge! Long time no see, read, text! Business humming along, i see!
I wanted to ask for a soul to take pity on me, i beg you, do tell, does decrypting, automatically and immediately, no ifs, ands, or buts, mean buhbye to the lockscreen? Because ive tried about everything there is to no success, my head hurts from banging it at the wall for months (since I'm the type of guy who'll hardly ask), but i give up! 6T, actually is where i have the problem (disregard what'll say below). Thanks!

Ha! I wish it was a business... That would mean I would make some money out of it. I probably could though. My Magisk guide has somewhere between 100000 to 200000 hits a month. Putting some ads on there could probably generate a cup of coffe or two... Problem is: I hate ads. Anyway....

If you're talking about the boot lockscreen (password on boot), then yes, that would go out the window if you're not encrypted as far as I know. An ordinary lockscreen should still be possible though. Although, OnePlus have been starting to do some weird stuff lately, so I wouldn't put it past them to mess stuff up.

Oh yeah... Nice to see you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
19th March 2019, 06:07 PM |#10  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoohan

Ha! I wish it was a business... That would mean I would make some money out of it. I probably could though. My Magisk guide has somewhere between 100000 to 200000 hits a month. Putting some ads on there could probably generate a cup of coffe or two... Problem is: I hate ads. Anyway....

If you're talking about the boot lockscreen (password on boot), then yes, that would go out the window if you're not encrypted as far as I know. An ordinary lockscreen should still be possible though. Although, OnePlus have been starting to do some weird stuff lately, so I wouldn't put it past them to mess stuff up.

Oh yeah... Nice to see you!

Yeah, I'm taking about the no screen, no Google pay type of thing.
The one when you jus booted.
And actually i can set it up, the thing is when time comes to unlock it'll say wrong password/pattern/pin! I hate that, in writing this from an unencrypted mate 10 pro with no problem, also on pie, also rooted and the whole nine yards, so i don't know, haven't seen much online, only ONE thread, if you can call it that, of a guy from last year whom nobody answered.

19th March 2019, 06:13 PM |#11  
Flag Gothenburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by culiacanazo

Yeah, I'm taking about the no screen, no Google pay type of thing.
The one when you jus booted.
And actually i can set it up, the thing is when time comes to unlock it'll say wrong password/pattern/pin! I hate that, in writing this from an unencrypted mate 10 pro with no problem, also on pie, also rooted and the whole nine yards, so i don't know, haven't seen much online, only ONE thread, if you can call it that, of a guy from last year whom nobody answered.

I feel I'm not going to be much help, so I'll just post this:
https://xkcd.com/979/
The Following User Says Thank You to Didgeridoohan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Didgeridoohan Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)