[UNOFFICIAL] next version Magisk and MagiskManager snapshots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread
MOD EDIT: PLEASE MIGRATE TO THE OFFICIAL CANARY BUILDS

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT UNOFFICIAL COMMUNITY BUILDS. OFFICIAL BETAS THREAD IS HERE: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589.

This thread is dedicated to the community-built next versions of Magisk and MagiskManager using latest source files posted by @topjohnwu. If you want to contribute in any way -- create a PR/issue on github.

These might be very unstable builds, especially in the early stages of development. You're highly advised to read the rest of this post and at least a few last pages of the discussion.

Downloads are here: https://github.com/TheComputerGuy96/MagiskFiles. Keep reading if this is your first visit to this thread or for the updates at the bottom of this post.

Current builds are courtesy of @kantjer. This project wouldn't have happened without @Deic's module to track the snapshot updates (which may be hindered by recent @topjohnwu changes in versioning) and his contributions to the build script, as well as major contributions in supporting fellow community members by @Captain_Throwback, @Didgeridoohan and @DodoGTA.

Installation:
  • Magisk: flash magisk snapshot from recovery, it should install over any previous version just fine.
  • Magisk Manager: The snapshot APK is signed with a different key than the release APK so you can't install snapshot magisk manager over magisk manager from Play Store. You will need to uninstall existing Magisk Manager and install the snapshot APK afterwards.

Commits Logs:

IF SOMETHING DOESN'T WORK AND/OR CRASHING:
No support of any kind is implied, however it's a community forum so some users (including local experts) might be willing to help your and/or your report might be helpful to @topjohnwu, but please make sure to follow the below:
  • Magisk Manager crashing? Problem with Magisk module? Post installed versions of magisk, magisk manager, versions of all installed modules and the magisk log + logcat.

Downloads: https://github.com/TheComputerGuy96/MagiskFiles
Source code: https://github.com/TheComputerGuy96/Magisk (branch travisci-dev)
Travis-CI link: https://travis-ci.org/TheComputerGuy96/Magisk

Last edited by a moderator:

afcaajax

Jun 2, 2016
Think about saying stupid things, you should have respect for the guy. Just turn on magisk hide, do not tick supersu in gui

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
Think about saying stupid things, you should have respect for the guy. Just turn on magisk hide, do not tick supersu in gui

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk
Not sure if you're directing that at me, but no one here is saying stupid things, except maybe you. Plus, I'm a dev/hacker myself so it doesn't really bother me, since I can always fix it myself.

I have MagiskHide working perfectly with SuperSu 2.79 on Nougat. I can use PoGo and AP. The latest Github commit breaks it.

If you haven't yet, please consider creating an issue for that on github and let @topjohnwu know.

AFAIK you can checkout the code one commit before the problematic one and build your own v10.

PS. Please don't feed the trolls. ;)

Last edited:

topjohnwu

Senior Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Jan 31, 2012
Taipei
I have MagiskHide working perfectly with SuperSu 2.79 on Nougat. I can use PoGo and AP. The latest Github commit breaks it.

That's unexpected, it never worked previously, I just added the detection I should have done in ages.

I'll try it myself when I got time, once confirmed working I'll revert this change

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
I'm not sure how you're accomplishing this, but it shouldn't be possible, unless you're also using some other hiding method (suhide, RootSwitch). Magisk Hide cannot hide SuperSU. I just installed it and tried it to confirm, since your post piqued my curiosity, but not surprisingly, SafetyNet came up all red, and my AirWatch app shows compromised.

Can you explain in detail what your setup is and confirm you're ONLY using SuperSU and Magisk Hide, and pass with green for SafetyNet?

Reactions: Didgeridoohan

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
Ah, well I am using suhide and rootswitch as well and everything works perfectly fine for me.
I've attached screenshots of SafetyNet passing for me. By all means, it's your project, you may do whatever you wish with it, I'll just fork it and make my own private builds where SuperSU does not disable MagiskHide..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20161221-132619.png
    Screenshot_20161221-132619.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 2,586
  • Screenshot_20161221-132642.png
    Screenshot_20161221-132642.png
    188.4 KB · Views: 2,565
  • Screenshot_20161221-132700.png
    Screenshot_20161221-132700.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 2,573
  • Screenshot_20161221-133053.png
    Screenshot_20161221-133053.png
    179.2 KB · Views: 2,522
  • Screenshot_20161221-133114.png
    Screenshot_20161221-133114.png
    181.9 KB · Views: 2,494
Last edited:

Didgeridoohan

Retired Senior Moderator
May 31, 2012
Gone
Google Nexus 4
Nexus 6
Ah, well I am using suhide and rootswitch as well and everything works perfectly fine for me.
I've attached screenshots of SafetyNet passing for me. By all means, it's your project, you may do whatever you wish with it, I'll just fork it and make my own private builds where SuperSU does not disable MagiskHide..

Let me take a moment and just lay my palm against my forehead...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess what you're really using Magisk Hide for is hiding your unlocked bootloader with resetprop. There are other ways of doing that, you don't need Magisk Hide.

gamer765

Jan 14, 2009
No, I do not. I use it for other stuff as well. All my mods are systemless. I'm on completely stock system with a custom kernel that does not pass bootloader unlock flags. I'm not a dumb person, but I see I'm being treated that way. I do things the way I do them for a reason. I will no longer partake in this conversation, I have better things to do. Maybe it's better to just stick to stock because ignorance is bliss. I need a break anyways from my work. Bye and thank you.

Reactions: RusherDude

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
No, I do not. I use it for other stuff as well. All my mods are systemless. I'm on completely stock system with a custom kernel that does not pass bootloader unlock flags. I'm not a dumb person, but I see I'm being treated that way. I do things the way I do them for a reason. I will no longer partake in this conversation, I have better things to do. Maybe it's better to just stick to stock because ignorance is bliss. I need a break anyways from my work. Bye and thank you.
Well if you want to use SuperSU with Magisk Hide, just manually revert the change that disallowed it. That takes 10 seconds to do.

Captain_Throwback

Recognized Developer
His question still stands, if MagiskHide does work with SuperSu installed and there're viable use cases for that, why disable it?
I don't think @topjohnwu was considering those extended use cases when he disabled it. Maybe now that he knows, he'll revert that change. I think he was thinking that Magisk Hide can't directly hide it so it would always be detected. With several other tools, it's apparently possible to hide it, which is good to know. Personally, I'll just be sticking with the open-source solution anyway, so it doesn't really affect me.

EDIT: Besides the fact that there are many people who will enable it, not knowing that Magisk Hide can't hide SuperSU. I think the change was in an effort to prevent those types of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    MOD EDIT: PLEASE MIGRATE TO THE OFFICIAL CANARY BUILDS

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT UNOFFICIAL COMMUNITY BUILDS. OFFICIAL BETAS THREAD IS HERE: https://xdaforums.com/apps/magisk/beta-magisk-v13-0-0980cb6-t3618589.

This thread is dedicated to the community-built next versions of Magisk and MagiskManager using latest source files posted by @topjohnwu. If you want to contribute in any way -- create a PR/issue on github.

These might be very unstable builds, especially in the early stages of development. You're highly advised to read the rest of this post and at least a few last pages of the discussion.

Downloads are here: https://github.com/TheComputerGuy96/MagiskFiles. Keep reading if this is your first visit to this thread or for the updates at the bottom of this post.

Current builds are courtesy of @kantjer. This project wouldn't have happened without @Deic's module to track the snapshot updates (which may be hindered by recent @topjohnwu changes in versioning) and his contributions to the build script, as well as major contributions in supporting fellow community members by @Captain_Throwback, @Didgeridoohan and @DodoGTA.

Installation:
    • Magisk: flash magisk snapshot from recovery, it should install over any previous version just fine.
    • Magisk Manager: The snapshot APK is signed with a different key than the release APK so you can't install snapshot magisk manager over magisk manager from Play Store. You will need to uninstall existing Magisk Manager and install the snapshot APK afterwards.

Commits Logs:

IF SOMETHING DOESN'T WORK AND/OR CRASHING:
    No support of any kind is implied, however it's a community forum so some users (including local experts) might be willing to help your and/or your report might be helpful to @topjohnwu, but please make sure to follow the below:
    • Magisk Manager crashing? Problem with Magisk module? Post installed versions of magisk, magisk manager, versions of all installed modules and the magisk log + logcat.

Downloads: https://github.com/TheComputerGuy96/MagiskFiles
    Source code: https://github.com/TheComputerGuy96/Magisk (branch travisci-dev)
    Travis-CI link: https://travis-ci.org/TheComputerGuy96/Magisk
    Hey guys, since Magisk Manager is pulled down Play Store, I will start shipping the manager apk into the flashable zip in the future. I'd like to add APK building into the script.
    Due the the complicated building process, I decided to rewrite the building script from scratch.
    Since people here are following the cutting edge, I think it will be a good idea to leave a message here :)

In order to support all platforms, greatly simplify the process, and also use the wide variety of built-in features, the new script is written in Python.
    The scripts should be much cleaner, and all platforms can use the same script for building.
    I'd have to say sorry to those who had set up an automated Magisk building system, you might also need to start from scratch, just like me :p

I have updated the README.md on Github with very fine details, and also tested on 3 major platforms - macOS, Linux, and Windows.
    I think anyone should be able to build Magisk if they want.

Happy building :)
    Distribution of ianmacd builds ceased at John's request

@topjohnwu has very politely asked me to cease the distribution of my unofficial Magisk builds. 2019092201 is the final release.

John explains:

My canary builds goes through the same building process, same private key for signing zips and APKs as release builds. I would love to have EVERYONE using the binaries directly from me, so that some issues regarding the building process may be caught up when people are testing the canary builds.

I don't know why, but it seems there are still people using your builds, thinking that those will always be from the tip of the tree. I will release canary builds when I think it fits, and I don't necessarily want people to run builds that are using WIP commits

I'm not hostile of people building Magisk themselves, I simply just don't want a "second distribution" existing out there

I've witnessed first-hand that some users will report bugs in the ianmacd builds against John's official GitHub tree, or in the official XDA threads, and one doesn't need much imagination to understand how this would get on his nerves. Not only are bugs reported in the wrong place, sometimes even omitting the fact that an unofficial build is being used, but often the bugs themselves are ghost bugs, present only in my builds of bleeding edge, work-in-progress code that John never intended anyone to run in its interim state, and which are fixed before the next Canary release.

Once upon a time, my builds would include a small feature or two not found in the official builds, but in recent months, my Magisk repo has all but converged with John's, and the only difference between my builds and Canary now is that I am sometimes a few commits ahead with my releases; often leading to the ghost bug scenario outlined above.

So, although I know a few people will be saddened by this announcement, you shouldn't feel too down about it. Not much will actually change for you. Just reconfigure your Magisk Manager for the Canary channel and move on. John is committed to regular Canary releases.

Do bear in mind that you will have to uninstall my build of Magisk Manager in order to move to builds signed by John's key. This is a one-time inconvenience.

I thank everyone here for using and supporting my builds. Most of all, though, I would like to thank John for giving Magisk to the Android community; and, equally importantly, for having the benevolence to protect the code under the GPL, ensuring that Magisk's future can never be inextricably tied to any one party, even its creator.

Long live Magisk.

P.S.

I forgot one thing: Please be respectful of John's wishes in this matter and don't bother him about it.
    My Magisk builds now available via custom update channel.

For any interested parties, my Magisk builds are now available as a custom update channel via GitHub. I wanted to set this up for my own purposes, but since the only overhead involved in offering this to the general public is posting this message on XDA, I'm doing so in the hope that the work can be of benefit to others, too.

The config data for the update channel can be found here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ianmacd/MagiskBuilds/master/updates/ianmacd.json

or, alternatively, from its shortened form:

https://goo.gl/yZpnrf

Feed either of those URLs into Settings→Update Channel→Custom in Magisk Manager, pull down to refresh, and away you go. Note that Magisk Manager may fail to install the very first time that you update from my channel, due to a version number and/or signing key discrepancy with whichever version you're currently running. If you experience this problem, simply remove your current version of Magisk Manager by hand and install the new one. You should not experience the problem again.

If you'd rather manually download my builds of either the Magisk ZIP or the Magisk Manager app, you can find them here:

https://github.com/ianmacd/MagiskBuilds

And if you want to inspect my fork of @topjohnwu's Magisk repository, from which the above binaries were built, that can be found here:

https://github.com/ianmacd/Magisk

Currently, my build of Magisk diverges from the original in the inclusion of 64 bit binaries (to avoid an incorrect 32 bit kernel diagnosis by apps such as Phone Info and DevCheck), and the inclusion of a patch to enable Magisk to function on the Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ (G960F and G965F). The patch is universal, which means that the same ZIP file will work on any device, not just the S9 and S9+.

For the sake of completeness and convenience, I'm attaching today's builds to this message. Subsequent updates will be offered only via the Magisk Manager update channel and the links above.

I'll do my best to keep the channel updated with builds that I have verified to be functional on my own devices, but all of the typical disclaimers and warnings should be assumed to apply here.

Update:

The initial build I made available (Magisk-16.5-20180610-64bit-universal.zip) contained a Magisk Manager APK that was accidentally built in debug mode instead of with --release. This made the ZIP file larger than it needed to be. Sorry about that.

This is fixed in 16.5-20180611. I have updated the attachments below for your convenience.
    Guys,

After running into build errors today and since we now have the official canary channel I decided its no longer worth the effort for me to keep building unofficial builds.
    It was a fun ride and I learned a lot.

cheers.