FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Android 6.0 and USB OTG devices

144 posts
Thanks Meter: 25

By kent1146, Senior Member on 4th January 2016, 09:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone know how MX Player can "Scan" or access a mounted USB OTG drive?

It looks like the drive is mounted in /mnt/media_rw/, but MX Player can't access that directory.

Yes, I know there is a workaround by browsing to the individual videos and hitting play one-at-a-time. But I'd really like to be able to see the list of videos natively within MX Player, so that I can jump to the next video without having to go back into a file manager.

4th January 2016, 11:09 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,089

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent1146

It looks like the drive is mounted in /mnt/media_rw/, but MX Player can't access that directory.

Yes, I know there is a workaround by browsing to the individual videos and hitting play one-at-a-time. But I'd really like to be able to see the list of videos natively within MX Player, so that I can jump to the next video without having to go back into a file manager.

In which device..?
Needs proper mount point information.
Open the OTG drive in any file manager & check the property.

In most of the devices media_rw is uaed to raw storage access & will no be available for third party apps. The same partition is remounted as sdcardfs file system under /storage to manage write access to external storage.

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
5th January 2016, 01:26 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
This is a Moto X Pure, running Android 6.0.

The USB OTG drive is mounted as what looks like a URL. USB://CORSAIR/

The drive does not have a true representation in /storage, except for whatever symbolic link that might have been placed there by a 3rd party app like StickMount (which I've tried). The true mount point of the USB OTG storage device looks like it's in /mnt/media_rw/XXX-YYYY/.

The issue is that MX Player seems to require scanning of a true directory structure, and can't use a symbolic link as a target for media scanning.
13th January 2016, 11:29 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Same issue here running Android 6.0.1 (Resurrection Remix v5.6.0) on Asus ZenPhone 2 ZE551ML.
When going to Settings -> List -> Scan Folders -> Add, the starting location is internal storage (/storage/emulated/0). Navigating up seems to freeze the folder content list below, again one folder upwards (/storage) it lists xxxx-xxxx folders for external SDcard and OTG storage. Navigating into the OTG directory freezes the list again (as it could not read its contents while showing the contents of the previous folder). Tapping 'Add' adds the folder, but back on the main view, it does not actually scan the newly added folder.
16th January 2016, 07:53 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 321

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent1146

From Android 6, OTG drive is officially supported by Android but in completely different way.
In fact, OTG drive is not mounted in file system but can only be access via Android's unique Storage Access Framework(SAF).
Unfortunately, listing files on SAF is not yet supported, but will be supported in the future.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bleu8888 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bleu8888 Ad-Free
16th January 2016, 09:00 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
OK. Thank you very much for the response

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
21st January 2016, 01:57 AM |#7  
Somewhere!
Thanks Meter: 596

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu8888

From Android 6, OTG drive is officially supported by Android but in completely different way.
In fact, OTG drive is not mounted in file system but can only be access via Android's unique Storage Access Framework(SAF).
Unfortunately, listing files on SAF is not yet supported, but will be supported in the future.

I hope you add support soon. man!! Love you!

Sent from xt1096 with Marshmallow!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to josuearisty For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift josuearisty Ad-Free
21st January 2016, 08:31 AM |#8  
Flag Torino
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Just for information, I have a Nvidia Shield Tablet K1 with Marshmallow. If i try to open a file from the stock android file manager it works fine, except for the external subtitles that are not loaded (I have to load them once the video is started from a internal folder and not from the OTG video folder), If I open a video file with ES File Explorer (right now the only file manager that can load USB otg on 6.0) it loads also the subtitles but when I try to reload it after a break or when I exit the program I have a black screen and the video doesn't start (it seems that ES file create a fake network address that goes to //usb:/....).

I hope you'll fix this soon! Keep up the great work!
6th June 2016, 02:05 AM |#9  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Hey guys sorry for necro post but just wanted to share you the solution i made, for those with similar problems:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...ayers-t3343706
this way you can solve your problem too. Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to gaferreira13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift gaferreira13 Ad-Free
21st July 2016, 03:31 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaferreira13

Hey guys sorry for necro post but just wanted to share you the solution i made, for those with similar problems:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gene...ayers-t3343706
this way you can solve your problem too. Cheers

Thanks for your sharing, but my G5 cannot be rooted at this moment. Hope the next update MX player can support OTG in Marshmallow again.
28th October 2016, 05:28 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 127

More
OTG drive support via Android SAF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleu8888

@bleu8888, first off, awesome app! This is a really robust media player, and is super helpful to have!
I'm just curious if OTG drive support via Android SAF is still on your roadmap? Or has it been implemented in a recent version and I just haven't figured out how to use it?
Thanks!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)