FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Background play no longer works

1 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By Frostyd241, Junior Member on 16th September 2017, 09:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi.

I just updated to the newest version. I love mxplayer pro. And one of my favorite things about it is the background play feature. Well it no longer works even when having it on. I am trying to play one of my videos from my Plex server and when I go to turn off the screen it no longer continues to play. Please help. Pixel XL running Android 8.0 Oreo
The Following User Says Thank You to Frostyd241 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Frostyd241 Ad-Free

16th September 2017, 03:19 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,014

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostyd241

Hi.

I just updated to the newest version. I love mxplayer pro. And one of my favorite things about it is the background play feature. Well it no longer works even when having it on. I am trying to play one of my videos from my Plex server and when I go to turn off the screen it no longer continues to play. Please help. Pixel XL running Android 8.0 Oreo

Can you collect a bug report immediately after reproducing the issue and share here?
It will help us to identify the root cause.
16th September 2017, 03:56 PM |#3  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirumalai.K

Can you collect a bug report immediately after reproducing the issue and share here?
It will help us to identify the root cause.

I am in the same situation (Pixel XL, MX Player Pro, just updated to Oreo) and background play stopped working. However, this does not consistently happen unless I am connected to a Bluetooth speaker.

I use MX Player for audio only often. This is the easiest way to reproduce the problem:

1. Connect to Bluetooth (in this case I have an Amazon Tap and I tell Alexa to connect to my phone).
2. After connecting start an MP3.
2. Press the power button to turn off the screen.
3. Wait a few seconds and the audio will stop playing.
4. Swipe to look at the notification for MX Player and note that the time in the MP3 is incrementing but no sound.

MX Player is *not* crashing. You can reopen the screen and press pause (wait) and then press play on the lock screen notification and MX Player will begin to play audio even when the screen goes back to sleep.

Note that this is not always consistent. It happens almost all the time, but I have done the above procedure and on some occasions audio will continue to play. Again, I think it happens much more often when connected to a Bluetooth speaker.

If you let me know how to collect a bug report or some sort of dev log when MX Player I will. But again, MX Player is not crashing when this happens.
16th September 2017, 09:40 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
I have the same issue since the last update on my nexus 5x running Android 8.

Update: it doesn't seem to happen when playing either local content, or a stream over samba. Only remote streams (I use megabox HD)
18th September 2017, 05:58 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by f3bruary

I have the same issue since the last update on my nexus 5x running Android 8.

Update: it doesn't seem to happen when playing either local content, or a stream over samba. Only remote streams (I use megabox HD)

This one might be different than the OP. Our developers are on it. We will try to fix ASAP.
18th September 2017, 08:59 AM |#6  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endroclast

I am in the same situation (Pixel XL, MX Player Pro, just updated to Oreo) and background play stopped working. However, this does not consistently happen unless I am connected to a Bluetooth speaker.

I use MX Player for audio only often. This is the easiest way to reproduce the problem:

1. Connect to Bluetooth (in this case I have an Amazon Tap and I tell Alexa to connect to my phone).
2. After connecting start an MP3.
2. Press the power button to turn off the screen.
3. Wait a few seconds and the audio will stop playing.
4. Swipe to look at the notification for MX Player and note that the time in the MP3 is incrementing but no sound.

MX Player is *not* crashing. You can reopen the screen and press pause (wait) and then press play on the lock screen notification and MX Player will begin to play audio even when the screen goes back to sleep.

Note that this is not always consistent. It happens almost all the time, but I have done the above procedure and on some occasions audio will continue to play. Again, I think it happens much more often when connected to a Bluetooth speaker.

If you let me know how to collect a bug report or some sort of dev log when MX Player I will. But again, MX Player is not crashing when this happens.

If you are not familiar about how to collect a bug report, Kindly read the sticky thread about how to collect the bug report ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...t-bug-t2843144 ).

You can find some more detailed additional methods on our website which can be used to collect complete system logs ( https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/report-an-issue ).
18th September 2017, 04:43 PM |#7  

More
Quote:

If you are not familiar about how to collect a bug report, Kindly read the sticky thread about how to collect the bug report ( https://forum.xda-developers.com/app...t-bug-t2843144 ).

You can find some more detailed additional methods on our website which can be used to collect complete system logs ( https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/report-an-issue ).

Ok, I was able to reproduce this. Apparently this isn't as cut-and-dried as any Bluetooth speaker causes it. I connected this to my Amazon Echo Tap and the problem happened, so I collected the log linked here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ets5njs6rr...11234.zip?dl=0

However, I had trouble reproducing this problem with several other Bluetooth speakers, if that is relevant. It did happen before I knew how to collect bug reports but I wasn't able to reproduce it on any Bluetooth except the Tap this morning.
19th September 2017, 02:11 PM |#8  

More
I'm using google pixel, android 8.0. Mx player ver 1.9.8
Music stop playing when I press the home button.
I'm not connected to bluetooth.
20th September 2017, 09:07 AM |#9  
Recognized Contributor

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingunginter

I'm using google pixel, android 8.0. Mx player ver 1.9.8
Music stop playing when I press the home button.
I'm not connected to bluetooth.

Have you enabled background play?
Can you provide a bug report?
20th September 2017, 02:51 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

Have you enabled background play?
Can you provide a bug report?

After the recent update to MX Player Pro 1.9.8 I think all of the background play problems disappeared for me EXCEPT for when I am connected over Bluetooth to an Amazon Tap.

I have tried every combination (with no Bluetooth, Echo, Echo Dot, various generic Bluetooth speakers and the Tap) and I only see the audio in background problem when my Pixel XL is connected to the Tap.

The symptoms are the same and easy to reproduce. You can see the player still incrementing time in notifications but there is no audio. When MX Player Pro is brought back to the foreground audio starts playing again and the position in the MP3 has still been incrementing while MX Player was in the background.

I took another report from MX Player Pro, linked here (I can't put outside links because my account is too young, this is the rest of the URL without dropbox.com prepended...is there some other way I should do this?):

/s/y5k85v90jag0mbq/report_2017-09-20_094121.zip?dl=0
23rd September 2017, 07:24 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
my issue still remains with background playback. Seems to only happen with remote streams.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)