FORUMS

[Bug Report] No subtitles when streaming over LAN

4,093 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,881
 
By Mussels84, Senior Member on 20th December 2014, 05:24 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I use ES file explorer to access folders on my NAS and PC, and previously this has worked perfectly for MX player playback.

In a recent update in the last few months, subtitle support was broken while doing this.

If i copy the file locally to the player, the subtitle menu appears and works fine - but running it over the SMB share, it behaves as if the file has no subtitles present.


This bug is present on all my devices, so its not a localised glitch - definitely happened as a result of an MX player update.
25th December 2014, 08:15 AM |#2  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
More
@bleu8888 did something change regarding SMB predictive requests for external subs in one of the updates?
The Following User Says Thank You to CDB-Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CDB-Man Ad-Free
28th December 2014, 02:50 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,881
 
More
I have an update for this.

Enabling hw+ decoding makes the subtitle button appear and it remains even if I change back to hw or sw.

The reason I hasn't noticed this before is that hw+ doesn't work on many of my videos due to them being 10 bit h264 (hi10p), so I had hw+ disabled in settings.
3rd January 2015, 01:07 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,881
 
More
If my terrible accent can be ignored, heres a very brief video demonstrating the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1lih...CYQb8wRW1plCUg



This workaround is far from perfect, as various videos will crash MX player if i try and force them to use HW+
If copied to the internal SD card, the subtitle icon appears without needing HW+.
4th January 2015, 06:09 AM |#5  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
More
Curious now, what is the naming format of the video and sub files?
4th January 2015, 08:45 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,881
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

Curious now, what is the naming format of the video and sub files?

.MKV with internal subtitles. That example video above has the following stats as read from MPC-HC on my PC.


Video: MPEG4 Video (H264) 1280x720 23.81fps [V: h264 high L4.0, yuv420p, 1280x720 [default,forced]]
Audio: AAC 44100Hz stereo [A: aac, 44100 Hz, stereo [default,forced]]
Subtitle: Advanced SubStation Alpha [S: ass [default,forced]]
Subtitle: UTF-8 [S: No subtitles]



An oddity has shown up with some files where subtitles appear, but i cant turn them OFF without doing this trick. Only happens over SMB shares, never happens locally with the same files.
7th January 2015, 08:32 AM |#7  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
More
... based on your original problem question, I thought you had external subs. Now that it's internal subs... I have no idea why, except perhaps that on HW, the android internal mediacodec broke something regarding embedded .ssa subtitles (that's only a guess). Unless this also coincided with a ROM update on xKat, I'm not sure that anything on MX specifically changed. It'll have to be @bleu8888 that would look into this.
7th January 2015, 10:10 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,881
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDB-Man

... based on your original problem question, I thought you had external subs. Now that it's internal subs... I have no idea why, except perhaps that on HW, the android internal mediacodec broke something regarding embedded .ssa subtitles (that's only a guess). Unless this also coincided with a ROM update on xKat, I'm not sure that anything on MX specifically changed. It'll have to be @bleu8888 that would look into this.

not related to Xkat, the video showed this on my kogan HDMI dongle device, running its stock ICS 4.0 rom. Definitely internal subs, only over SMB.

Changing to software decoding also seems to bring the subtitle option back, although at first i didn't think that was the case.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mussels84 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mussels84 Ad-Free
10th January 2015, 08:32 AM |#9  
CDB-Man's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 268
 
More
Well, I don't think I can add any more value, so I'll just let the dev work on this
14th May 2015, 10:40 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Same problem here: MKV file with embedded subtitles. Running Finless Bobs ROM 2.1 on an MK808.

When I play the file from a local directory, no problem, all subtitles are shown independent of HW or HW+ mode. When I try to play the SAME file from my NAS drive (accessing it with ES file explorer), the embedded subtitles do not show up, as if they were not existing.

The HW+ workaround above does work, but is not a satisfactory solution: Switching to HW+ does make the subtitles appear and selectable, video plays but stutters. You can then switch back to HW with the subtitles on, video plays smooth but freezes after ~5 seconds. So no working solution for NAS.

Hope this helps to reproduce the issue - please fix it!
15th May 2015, 02:40 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,881
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by markust68

Same problem here: MKV file with embedded subtitles. Running Finless Bobs ROM 2.1 on an MK808.

When I play the file from a local directory, no problem, all subtitles are shown independent of HW or HW+ mode. When I try to play the SAME file from my NAS drive (accessing it with ES file explorer), the embedded subtitles do not show up, as if they were not existing.

The HW+ workaround above does work, but is not a satisfactory solution: Switching to HW+ does make the subtitles appear and selectable, video plays but stutters. You can then switch back to HW with the subtitles on, video plays smooth but freezes after ~5 seconds. So no working solution for NAS.

Hope this helps to reproduce the issue - please fix it!

try software mode, it also seems to bring them back. Often i change to software, enable subs, then change back to hardware and it remains working - as long as i use software audio, or the audio goes out of sync.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes