[Feature request] 5.1 to binaural support?

Search This thread

_SpAiK_

Aug 5, 2010
I don't know if this is possible using software decoding, but I've seen this feature on modern audio cards for pc so you get a more real feel of surround effect. This is by itself an interesting feature for series and movies, but now that 3d goggles are arriving this would help the immersion effect.

CDB-Man

May 29, 2013
@josuearisty https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

@_SpAiK_ so what you are saying is, you want 5.1 channel to stereo binaural downsampling support?
Keep in mind that MX uses ffmpeg, so whatever MX is capable of doing is dependent on ffmpeg. You may want to see if @ktsamy's custom codec could do anything regarding 5.1 channel to stereo binaural downsampling.

@ktsamy, do you know what is MX's default behaviour when it encounters more than 2 channels? Does it downsample by default, or drop the extra channels?

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
@josuearisty https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording

@_SpAiK_ so what you are saying is, you want 5.1 channel to stereo binaural downsampling support?
Keep in mind that MX uses ffmpeg, so whatever MX is capable of doing is dependent on ffmpeg. You may want to see if @ktsamy's custom codec could do anything regarding 5.1 channel to stereo binaural downsampling.

@ktsamy, do you know what is MX's default behaviour when it encounters more than 2 channels? Does it downsample by default, or drop the extra channels?

No, it won't drop any channels. Else you could loose audio in the dropped channels.

What he is looking for is, virtual 5.1 effects through 2.0 channel.

It can be attained by using the advanced dsp managers like viper4android.. ? ?

Last edited:

_SpAiK_

Aug 5, 2010
This is what I'm talking about. It's downsampling using an algorithm that simulates human way of hearing sound.

Top Liked Posts