[Feature Request] Improved access to new playback speed control

Search This thread

Drewett

Jan 11, 2014
So MX Player finally has playback speed adjustment (yay!) but unfortunately the method of accessing it cumbersome (if you don't want to use gestures). Fortunately that's just a UI issue (which I suspect is considerably easier to fix than implementing the speed control in the first place).

The problems that I see are a follows:

1. You have to dig down several menus deep to reach it.

2. The speed control overlay remains permanently on screen and does not hide with the rest of the onscreen controls. If you close it because you want to see the full screen without the clutter, then every time you want to make a speed adjustment you have to drill back down through the menu, make the adjustment, and then close the window again.

3. Once the playback speed adjustment overlay window has been closed, there is no longer any visual feedback as to the current playback speed.

4. Because the playback speed control is a separate overlay window (rather than being attached to the rest of the onscreen controls) it jumps around all over the place when the other controls appear and disappear (causing mis-clicks if, for example, you are trying to repeatedly tap the + or - buttons to adjust speed).

What I would like to propose is a single speed control icon button (with digits showing the current playback speed) that displays as part of the regular onscreen controls. For example, it could be placed next to the HW+ button on the top control bar (although if I had my own way, I would move the lock button up next to the HW+, then move the 'fit to screen' to where the lock button was (to the left of the rewind / go back button), and then put the new playback speed button in it's place (to the right of the fast forward button). But that's just me.

Anyway, regardless of positioning, it would be incredibly useful to always be able to see the current playback speed with just with a single tap (because it would display as part of regular oncreen controls) as well as being able to easily adjust speed with from the main screen without having to drill through menus.

A slider control would allow quick adjustment of large speed changes instead of having to go tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, and it would make speed adjustments more fluid from a usage point of view. The slider could still be 'notched' to adjust in steps if the user drags slowly (so that reaching an exact playback speed value can be achieved if required).

Another idea that I've just had is perhaps there could be an option to display the speed control slider by long-pressing the play button. That seems as intuitive a place to control playback speed as anywhere else. The current playback speed could be displayed as digits either above or below the play button itself (so you'd always know the current speed).

Just some suggestions for your consideration.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
I think you not aware of the gestures.
Just swipe up/down with two fingers to change the playback speed. I think, there can't be a fastest way than this one.

So MX Player finally has playback speed adjustment (yay!) but unfortunately the method of accessing it cumbersome (if you don't want to use gestures). Fortunately that's just a UI issue (which I suspect is considerably easier to fix than implementing the speed control in the first place).

The problems that I see are a follows:

1. You have to dig down several menus deep to reach it.

2. The speed control overlay remains permanently on screen and does not hide with the rest of the onscreen controls. If you close it because you want to see the full screen without the clutter, then every time you want to make a speed adjustment you have to drill back down through the menu, make the adjustment, and then close the window again.

3. Once the playback speed adjustment overlay window has been closed, there is no longer any visual feedback as to the current playback speed.

4. Because the playback speed control is a separate overlay window (rather than being attached to the rest of the onscreen controls) it jumps around all over the place when the other controls appear and disappear (causing mis-clicks if, for example, you are trying to repeatedly tap the + or - buttons to adjust speed).

What I would like to propose is a single speed control icon button (with digits showing the current playback speed) that displays as part of the regular onscreen controls. For example, it could be placed next to the HW+ button on the top control bar (although if I had my own way, I would move the lock button up next to the HW+, then move the 'fit to screen' to where the lock button was (to the left of the rewind / go back button), and then put the new playback speed button in it's place (to the right of the fast forward button). But that's just me.

Anyway, regardless of positioning, it would be incredibly useful to always be able to see the current playback speed with just with a single tap (because it would display as part of regular oncreen controls) as well as being able to easily adjust speed with from the main screen without having to drill through menus.

A slider control would allow quick adjustment of large speed changes instead of having to go tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, and it would make speed adjustments more fluid from a usage point of view. The slider could still be 'notched' to adjust in steps if the user drags slowly (so that reaching an exact playback speed value can be achieved if required).

Another idea that I've just had is perhaps there could be an option to display the speed control slider by long-pressing the play button. That seems as intuitive a place to control playback speed as anywhere else. The current playback speed could be displayed as digits either above or below the play button itself (so you'd always know the current speed).

Just some suggestions for your consideration.

Cheers.

Drewett

Jan 11, 2014
I think you not aware of the gestures..
I am perfectly aware of gestures, which is why I mentioned it in the very first sentence of my post above.

So MX Player finally has playback speed adjustment (yay!) but unfortunately the method of accessing it cumbersome (if you don't want to use gestures) ...

My point is that: (a) gestures are not a replacement for good UI design (they are an additional means of accessing a feature), and (b) I don't want to use gestures for playback speed because I use gestures for zoom and pan (and it's a nightmare trying to pan without constantly messing up playback speed by accident).

I already get enough grief from messing with the volume whenever I try to swipe down to check my phone notifications (I would much prefer a volume slider). I don't need the same with playback speed too.

The existence of a gesture control does not mean that the menu method of access can't also be improved for a better user experience for users who do not want to use gestures.

pinkbecca

Sep 26, 2015
I would love a playback speed option easily accessible once I touch the screen, rather than the 2 fingers gesture or going into audio options, it would be so great to have it appear on 1 click and then we adjust the speed.

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
From 1.9.1 you can now use Ctrl + UP/Down keys on the physical keyboard to increase and reduce the speed.
Regarding more easily accessible UI option, We have some plans for UI improvements in future (after implementing some other important features). It will be implemented as a part of UI overhauling.

pinkbecca

Sep 26, 2015
From 1.9.1 you can now use Ctrl + UP/Down keys on the physical keyboard to increase and reduce the speed.
Regarding more easily accessible UI option, We have some plans for UI improvements in future (after implementing some other important features). It will be implemented as a part of UI overhauling.

great

Reactions: Hzz17

jackice

Dec 9, 2017
It would be great if there would have been an option to select the physical buttons to control the playback speed. This is suitable for android TV controls. By default up/down buttons on android TV remotes for example are used to control volume, which is useless on TV. These buttons would be perfect to control playback speed instead.

Last edited:

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
It would be great if there would have been an option to select the physical buttons to control the playback speed. This is suitable for android TV controls. By default up/down buttons on android TV remotes for example are used to control volume, which is useless on TV. These buttons would be perfect to control playback speed instead.

have you tried Ctrl + UP/Down?

Thirumalai.K

Sep 14, 2011
I don't have ctrl button on my android TV remote :)

Each remote has different buttons & they provide different key input. We use the standard key events defined on android itself.
Probably your remote have separate keys for volume button. But, in many devices (especially android boxes) only DPAD is exists.
So, configuring UP/Down to control the speed will cause issues with them. And many people uses external keyboards as well. It will break that too.

Anyhow, we will discuss the other possibilities with our team and we will improve the same if it's possible.

Reactions: jackice

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

great
    I don't have ctrl button on my android TV remote :)

Each remote has different buttons & they provide different key input. We use the standard key events defined on android itself.
    Probably your remote have separate keys for volume button. But, in many devices (especially android boxes) only DPAD is exists.
    So, configuring UP/Down to control the speed will cause issues with them. And many people uses external keyboards as well. It will break that too.

Anyhow, we will discuss the other possibilities with our team and we will improve the same if it's possible.