Remove All Ads from XDA
Win Honor 9 Lite

Feature request: Search subtitles (SMB) from .\Subs\

39 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By gewone, Member on 3rd April 2018, 07:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi guys!

First, love MX Player, been using it for years for both local and network playback on Android devices in our household. Now, SMB support has improved much over the years, and is now more or less flawless. One thing though, often — especially when it comes to television series — there is a subfolder that is 99% of the times named Subs, where the subtitles are located. Now, in my case, I use Total Commander for all operation on my Android devices, and use the "Play (in foreground)" option in the SMB tree to make it start streaming over the LAN at home. Now, if the video.mp4 and subtitle.srt is in the same folder on the NAV/Windoze box/whatever, it loads up automatically, but not if it's in the .\Subs\ folder. Would this be possible to fix? Many players (e.g. MPC-HC) has .\Subs\ automatically searched since it's a very common place for subtitles to land. As for now, if I depend on subs, I need to prepare by moving them to be in the folder where the (for instance) television series season is. For those who has collections and wish to preserve a specific folder tree structure, this can be somewhat a hassle. Of course, this is truly a first world problem.

Thanks for a great player.
Cheers!

4th April 2018, 04:43 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,078

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewone

Hi guys!

First, love MX Player, been using it for years for both local and network playback on Android devices in our household. Now, SMB support has improved much over the years, and is now more or less flawless. One thing though, often — especially when it comes to television series — there is a subfolder that is 99% of the times named Subs, where the subtitles are located. Now, in my case, I use Total Commander for all operation on my Android devices, and use the "Play (in foreground)" option in the SMB tree to make it start streaming over the LAN at home. Now, if the video.mp4 and subtitle.srt is in the same folder on the NAV/Windoze box/whatever, it loads up automatically, but not if it's in the .\Subs\ folder. Would this be possible to fix? Many players (e.g. MPC-HC) has .\Subs\ automatically searched since it's a very common place for subtitles to land. As for now, if I depend on subs, I need to prepare by moving them to be in the folder where the (for instance) television series season is. For those who has collections and wish to preserve a specific folder tree structure, this can be somewhat a hassle. Of course, this is truly a first world problem.

Thanks for a great player.
Cheers!

Thanks for your post. Currently MX Player doesn't directly support the SMB. As MX Player doesn't have the SMB client, it can't get the actual path. Most of them act like a localhost. If the file listing is not possible, MX will try to get the subtitles by some brute force methods. So, It's very difficult at the moment.

But, we have some plans to work on our own SMB support. Once it's implemented, It may make things easy for you
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
smb, subtitles

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)