FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MX Nightmare ( seeking and audio passthrough )

12 posts
Thanks Meter: 3

By rezpower, Junior Member on 10th March 2019, 03:41 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I am facing a frustrating problem as whatever option I choose I face one problem!
I am using MX Player to watch my movies on my Nvidia shiled from a local server
(Emby) on my PC. The file is a DTS-HD.MA.5.1.X264.MKV

If I choose HW+ the image is perfect, I can seek and go backward
and forward on the video with no problem, but the DTS sound dose not passthrough
to my home theater.

If I choose HW then audio passthrough works perfect but seeking dose not work! I can
no longer go back and forth on the video file

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal (Known) restriction or if there is anyway to fix at
least one of the options to work (HW or HW+). It would also be kind if you tell me which
decoder would give the best result on a Nvidia shield as I with no knowledge tend to
believe that HW+ is the best option!
11th March 2019, 11:59 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Seems there is no support on the forum from developers maybe should try on playstore?!
In the faq they mention:

Video position is not changing and resets to the start whenever I return to video.
Some videos can not be "sought" properly. This may happen due to one of the following reasons;

Corrupted File - File can be damaged during copy process to the device even if original file is not corrupted.
File Configuration - Some video files do not have position information, which is need for changing position. Seeking these files may take longer or not even possible.
Decoder Bug - Both HW and SW codec have more bugs than their desktop siblings. Many people are working on improving Android codecs.

My problem is certainly Decoder Bug and not the other two!

So in my case mx player become worthless as I don't get audio passthrough on SW and HD+ and if I use HD which dose the audio passthrough
correctly then I better not decide to seek and go back or forth in a movie else I need to restart from beginning!

Let's hope I am doing something wrong and there is a workaround to get both audio passthrough + seeking to work at the same time!
12th March 2019, 04:39 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpower

Seems there is no support on the forum from developers maybe should try on playstore?!
In the faq they mention:

Video position is not changing and resets to the start whenever I return to video.
Some videos can not be "sought" properly. This may happen due to one of the following reasons;

Corrupted File - File can be damaged during copy process to the device even if original file is not corrupted.
File Configuration - Some video files do not have position information, which is need for changing position. Seeking these files may take longer or not even possible.
Decoder Bug - Both HW and SW codec have more bugs than their desktop siblings. Many people are working on improving Android codecs.

My problem is certainly Decoder Bug and not the other two!

So in my case mx player become worthless as I don't get audio passthrough on SW and HD+ and if I use HD which dose the audio passthrough
correctly then I better not decide to seek and go back or forth in a movie else I need to restart from beginning!

Let's hope I am doing something wrong and there is a workaround to get both audio passthrough + seeking to work at the same time!

We regret the inconveniences caused by the delay in our response. Some of the items in our FAQs may not be up to date.

HW decoder heavily relies on the android mediaplayer framework implementation on your device. MX Player doesn't have much control over it. If you can seek with HW+ and SW, then it must be a bug on mediaplayer framework implementation on your device. If you are on a TV device, HW decoder may automatically use the passthrough mode based on the configuration done by the manufacturer. Whereas in HW+ and SW decoders, MX Player depends on the Android APIs to detect the capabilities of the connected audio device. So, audio passthrough mode will be used only when it is reported by the system.
12th March 2019, 05:50 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Thank you very much for you reply. however I am still hoping that there could be a way the get around this problem. I do not have
enough knowledge on this subject but the question I have is that the default player for Kodi can play all my video files and the
passthrough is working on everyone of these files and there is no seeking problem either! The same thing with VLC. So MXPlayer
should certainly be able to do as much on the same system. It would really bee nice if you could check this and see if there is a
workaround. MX is a great player and for me a must have player on andoid TV and it's certainly worth making it more compatible.
14th March 2019, 07:07 PM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
I just replace MXPlayer with VLC and everything works perfectly fine. I can seek through movies and audio passthrough is working
as well with no problems. So please stop blaming Android OS everytime a user report a problem and fix your software!
9th January 2020, 01:15 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Almost a year later I still have this issue with a shield 2017, and 2019.. VLC works fine.
MX player pro wont seek, or wont passthrough. wasted $6
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)