FORUMS

MX Player on Android TV / Fire TV Stick 4K - stereo only?

807 posts
Thanks Meter: 97

By webwude, Senior Member on 11th March 2019, 10:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi all.

I try to get MX Player to play dolby 5.1 or dts sounds on my TV.

Specs:
- TV: Philips OLED POS 9002 with Android Oreo
- Sound: Bose Soundtouch 300 Soundbar with rear speakers, connected optical. Can play Dolby Digital and DTS.
- App: either direct (using USB) or via DS Video and streaming from NAS. Latest version from Google Play Store.

No matter if I use a custom codec (mx_neon.zip) or not and any decoder (hw+, hw, sw), if I try to play certain test vidoes from here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
especially the channel checks and it is some sort of upmix from stereo, but definitely no disctinct channel selection.
To be exact: I did not test all variations (custom, standard, all decoder) so far...
--> it seems there is exactly the same behavior with my new Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - only stereo as well...

Is there anything that I can test or do or try to get it work. Besides the sound issue, DS Video and MX Player are working very well, it would be a pity that due to sound issues I can not use it for anything else than stereo.

Thank you for any hint.
Best regards
ww
12th March 2019, 03:56 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 98

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by webwude

Hi all.

I try to get MX Player to play dolby 5.1 or dts sounds on my TV.

Specs:
- TV: Philips OLED POS 9002 with Android Oreo
- Sound: Bose Soundtouch 300 Soundbar with rear speakers, connected optical. Can play Dolby Digital and DTS.
- App: either direct (using USB) or via DS Video and streaming from NAS. Latest version from Google Play Store.

No matter if I use a custom codec (mx_neon.zip) or not and any decoder (hw+, hw, sw), if I try to play certain test vidoes from here: https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples
especially the channel checks and it is some sort of upmix from stereo, but definitely no disctinct channel selection.
To be exact: I did not test all variations (custom, standard, all decoder) so far...
--> it seems there is exactly the same behavior with my new Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - only stereo as well...

Is there anything that I can test or do or try to get it work. Besides the sound issue, DS Video and MX Player are working very well, it would be a pity that due to sound issues I can not use it for anything else than stereo.

Thank you for any hint.
Best regards
ww

We regret the inconveniences caused by the delay in our response. Unfortunately, MX Player does not support audio audio passthrough mode over SPDIF at the moment. However, it is applicable only to the HW+ / SW decoder.

HW decoder directly makes use of Android mediaplayer framework on the device. So, If it is implemented to use audio passthrough mode, it should work as expected. Please check whether there any system settings that can enable the audio passthrough made. Enabling it may let you allow passing the audio directly to the external audio system.
12th March 2019, 04:07 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Vienna
Thanks Meter: 97

More
Thank you for your reply.
The soundbar is connected either optical or via HDMI ARC.

As it is working with the internal media player and with Kodi (enabling all passthrough options), but not with VLC (same effect), it might be a bug of the current firmware (there is a similar bug concerning 1920x800 video and the black bars which is present with third-party-apps as Kodi, VLC and MX player, but not with Amazon prime video and the internal player). I opened a ticket at Philips. Let's see how it develops.
As mentioned: as it works with the internal player it seems that the overall settings are correct.
21st February 2020, 01:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
22nd February 2020, 07:28 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
5.1 sound is only stereo on Philips android TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXPlayer

HW decoder directly makes use of Android mediaplayer framework on the device. So, If it is implemented to use audio passthrough mode, it should work as expected. Please check whether there any system settings that can enable the audio passthrough made. Enabling it may let you allow passing the audio directly to the external audio system.

I have the same problem with philips 43pus7304 android TV. Internal player and Nova Video Player can play 5.1 AC3 sound, but mx player and vlc can't - my av receiver shows that input signal is only stereo. I tried it via hdmi arc and optical - the same result. Please fix this - mx player is the best of all, but such a bug!
I tried all kinds of settings in your player ant tv - but problem is somewhere else but not in settings. Also I tried default decoder and mx_aio.zip.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)