MX Player Custom Codec [AC3,DTS,MLP,TRUEHD, etc..]

Search This thread

Z23

Aug 25, 2011
Download error from gdrive app. Three times in a row. Tried now again and it works, must have been a temporary problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: USBhost

imran_iiit

Jul 27, 2017
I have 1+1, MXPlayer auto updated to 1.9.3, got the custom codec error, Audio degraded significantly!

Installed new codec by downloading from above, no improvement. Reinstalled mxplayer and codec pack from play, but still no luck.

Any ideas?

Z23

Aug 25, 2011
Maybe a MXPlayer problem? It is very unlike that audio quality degrade is caused by custom codec. Custom codecs do not change something in audio quality, they unlock dts codec!

Sent from my LG-H850 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Jan 8, 2015
I truly curious...why do peeps even use MX Player instead of VLC? Am I missing out on something that p I'm not aware of? Because MX never works properly for me and VLC has never failed...so I'm really just curious.

USBhost

Recognized Contributor
Oct 23, 2013
u:r:usbhost:s0
OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 12
I truly curious...why do peeps even use MX Player instead of VLC? Am I missing out on something that p I'm not aware of? Because MX never works properly for me and VLC has never failed...so I'm really just curious.
At least for me they were a few reasons.
VLC plays like ___ on my Nexus 9.
VLC can't play 10bit Anime on HW Nexus 9
VLC plays horrible when I use SW on Anime
VLC x265 lol don't ask Nexus 9...

MX Player has the best performance

BTW this is OT

Thirumalai.K

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 14, 2011
Mx player is the best for everything except. 1080p on my LG v20. Any suggestions? Is it codecs?

Can you specify your issue in detail along with the steps to reproduce the issue?
Without knowing the issue, It will be very difficult to provide the proper solution.

It will better if you can collect a bug report immediately after the issue & share here.

Xophile

Jul 6, 2008
Maybe a stupid question but is the codec imported to MX Player so I can remove the file on my device afterwards?

Xophile

Jul 6, 2008
I download a free AC3-sample yesterday. Couldn't play it at first, then I imported the custom codec and it played fine. I then deleted the codec from my phone and it still played fine.

Reactions: MatteoB92

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I download a free AC3-sample yesterday. Couldn't play it at first, then I imported the custom codec and it played fine. I then deleted the codec from my phone and it still played fine.
As of April 2017, MX Player no longer needs custom codec for AC3. So, that proves nothing -- playing an AC3 file without custom codec on your Android device... I don't know why your AC3 file didn't play, but you probably did something wrong?

Delete your custom codec and then try playing a DTS file? That is what still needs custom codec. ;)
---------- Post added at 09:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, so can someone on this thread please tell me if the custom codec is necessary for the DTS playback in the PAID MX player version (the 'pro') as well?

I'd really like to get an MX player version i could simply have installed with an auto-updates enabled, but without the chance of the next update breaking the codec compatibility over and over again.

This custom codec thing being necessary, while seemingly a minor inconvenience, becomes really annoying while paired with auto updates.

The only difference between the free and "Pro" (paid) is the lack of ads. Neither version plays DTS files without custom codec. On the Google Play store page for the Pro version they say there's no other functional difference between the two and urge you to try the free version before buying the Pro version.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mxtech.videoplayer.pro&hl=en
MX Player Pro

This is the Ad-Free version of MX Player.

There is no functional limitations in free version
. Kindly try the free version first before purchasing the Pro version.

Last edited:

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Exactly. Very easy for anyone to try. Did you?
The burden is actually on YOU to prove that, not me. I'm not the one saying you can delete the custom codec file and play DTS files. I'm keeping it and not wasting time. If you can prove it and provide screenshots, etc. then have at it.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

You do have to keep it. No idea what they're talking about.
You don't. See above.

"See above" doesn't prove a thing. The guy played an AC3 file, which easily plays without custom codec (as of April 2017). It's DTS files which still can't play without custom codec file.

Last edited:
Reactions: KNGPN Q w Q

EPa

Mar 7, 2009
See above as in "try for yourself" not as in "the other guy managed to play ac3".

You are funny. You say you will waste no time to rename or move a file to a different directory, yet spent more time writing the post that says that. And need screenshots and proof for something you can check yourself.

And we should all take the word of a supposedly some kind of master instead of simply renaming or moving a file and seeing for ourselves.

Speechless..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    https://github.com/USBhost/MX_FFmpeg is my modified source where i'm building from
    You can download recent codecs here ( GitHub releases ) and 1.35.0-1.8.6 here ( Google Drive ).
    Also the XDA download tab is no longer updated as for some reason I cant remove them.

INSTRUCTIONS
    1. Check which version you need by going to Local Player Settings/Decoder/General
    in the Custom Codec tab it will tell you which one is needed (x86,x86_64,neon,neon64/ARMv8).
    Note: skip step 1 if your using aio (all in one) version
    2. Download the one you need (No need to unzip it)
    3. Go back to Local Player Settings/Decoder/General
    and tap the Custom Codec tab then select the version you downloaded. DONE!
    Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) :

What's the difference between MX Player Codec Packs on Google Play and Custom Codec?
    MX Player Codec Pack not only contains ffmpeg library, It contains many other libraries required to work properly. If you download MX Player from Google Play mostly it will contain the required libraries according to your device architecture. You have to install codec packs from Google Play only if MX Player asks to install. Custom codec is just a modified version of the ffmpeg library used in MX Player. It's modified to include support DTS/Dolby(ac3) audio tracks. So, Codec Pack is mandatory if MX Player asks to install it. Custom Codec is optional and It's required only if you want to play the videos with DTS & Dolby (AC3) audio tacks

Why Custom Codec is not updated even though MX Player is updated?
    In Many occasions MX Player may updated without any changes to ffmpeg library. So, Custom Codec will also remain same. The custom codec version required will be directly forced by the player itself. So no need to worry about it. If it's not compatible MX Player will not load at all.

How do I know that my Custom Codec is outdated & needs an update?
    Whenever MX Player is updated, It will check the custom codec version loaded. If it's outdated it will show a error message that shows "Custom Codec is out of date. Replace it with the new version". Otherwise there is no need to check this thread for the new Custom Codecs.
    Custom codecs for 1.9.8
    Update 1.13.0 is up!!!

1.13.0 ARMv8 codec is needed here as well, thank you !

Please, it any chance to get ARMv7 Neon codec for version 1.13 mx player? I have sony TV and its problem with EAC3 :-/ Need codec for this version.

It's up on Google Drive now!!! :angel: neon64 is our ARM64
    However I can't seem to upload them to XDA... I guess Brave does not like flash lol oh well.
    Edit: Its up on XDA as well now.