FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Not MX bug] MX Player doesn't see OTG drive

1,417 posts
Thanks Meter: 557
 
By Ch3vr0n, Senior Member on 22nd December 2017, 09:46 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm using a nexus 6P running STOCK (but rooted with SuperSU SR5) Android 8.1. MX Player pro doesn't see my OTG drive thats properly mounted by the system to /mnt/media_rw/796E-1AFF (system properly identifies it as the volume mounted label "128GB"). There's also a binary file "128GB in /usbstorage

I've manually added /storage/emulated/0/usbStorage to the DEFAULT map list and it's still not working. The weird thing? When i browse to the drive using FX Explorer and share a video file TO MX Player, it DOES work and the file plays. Though MXP first has to do considerable loading before playback.

What am i missing here? I'd like to get this fixed before i leave on a trip the 27th of this month
 
 
25th December 2017, 06:22 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,089
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

I'm using a nexus 6P running STOCK (but rooted with SuperSU SR5) Android 8.1. MX Player pro doesn't see my OTG drive thats properly mounted by the system to /mnt/media_rw/796E-1AFF (system properly identifies it as the volume mounted label "128GB"). There's also a binary file "128GB in /usbstorage

I've manually added /storage/emulated/0/usbStorage to the DEFAULT map list and it's still not working. The weird thing? When i browse to the drive using FX Explorer and share a video file TO MX Player, it DOES work and the file plays. Though MXP first has to do considerable loading before playback.

What am i missing here? I'd like to get this fixed before i leave on a trip the 27th of this month

Are you using any scripts or mods to mount the USB storage?
In general, /mnt/media_rw can't be accessed by the third party apps until or unless you fix the permissions.
Can you just tap on reload button on MX Player main screen & collect the bug report from MX Player help menu on completion of the scanning? It will help us to understand the actual issue.
25th December 2017, 12:30 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
Currently i'm not using any scripts no. I have tried to use Chainfire's "Stickmount" but that didn't help either. Log attached
Attached Files
File Type: zip report_2017-12-25_132614.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.9 KB, 22 views)
25th December 2017, 12:51 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,089
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

Currently i'm not using any scripts no. I have tried to use Chainfire's "Stickmount" but that didn't help either. Log attached

It looks like it needs root to scan the OTG mount point. The file system has reverted with access denied error when it tried to scan 796E-1AFF. When MX Player has tried to scan /storage/emulated/0/usbStorage/128GB, it has got the cross-device link error.

How do you access in FX?
What's the path of the OTG mount point?

We have tried OTG on Nexus 6P with latest stock android. There is no such path (/storage/emulated/0/usbStorage) in our device.
In FX, had to manually grant the permission through SAF request.
25th December 2017, 01:05 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
Device is rooted and FX has root access. I can access #system. Though i just checked and SuperSU app is missing after updating to 8.1. Currently not having any luck installing it from either the APK or play store. Android says "installed" but i can't select "open" after installing apk and play store goes through install process but when "finished" button just says "install" again as in not installed.

I tried deleting the UsbStorage folder but i get access denied. I did manage to delete on of the 128GB labels via root system > storage >

Through FX i simply attached the device > clicked the new icon > got a popup > selected drive > done

All root access requiring apps continue to have root and work fine

I'll flash a full factory firmware incl wiping everything and report back

even after flashing the factory image + sideloading SR5 su app was missing. But this time it did install through play store? Got asked to update binary. Now bootlooping. UGH

I'll see if i can restore a backup and continue this in then new year. Leaving on trip on wednesday so aint got much time left to tinker with things
26th December 2017, 02:26 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
@Thirumalai.K Well after flashing that factory image i had a couple hickups. Eventually managed to restore a backup. Attached, latest logs. Would it perhaps be possible to add root capabilities to MX Player? No idea what you mean by "SAF Request". All i do know that not too long ago the USB drive button listed the drives label "128GB" and not "796E-1AFF"
29th January 2018, 07:54 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
@Thirumalai.K

Bump

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
5th March 2018, 08:43 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
@Thirumalai.K

And another Bump

Issue remains open



Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
6th March 2018, 03:15 PM |#9  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,089
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

@Thirumalai.K

And another Bump
Issue remains open
Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

MX Player doesn't use root permissions for scanning. So, If the permissions are proper to read the files without root, there shouldn't be any issues. In your logs, It's very clear that MX has received the access denied error. So, It's something that needs to be fixed on your end.
6th March 2018, 07:22 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 557
 
More
I don't know what I can say. I'm using FULL STOCK android 8.1 directly from Google, only rooted. I've just tried again and no luck. Stickmount mounts the device to /sdcard/usbStorage/128gb but I can't set that path. The path browser won't let me get higher than /storage

So I can't set the path manually.

If you can tell me what I need to do manually to fix this I'd be happy to try it.

New log attached

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk
Attached Files
File Type: zip report_2018-03-06_201623.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.5 KB, 6 views)
7th March 2018, 04:20 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 4,089
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n

I don't know what I can say. I'm using FULL STOCK android 8.1 directly from Google, only rooted. I've just tried again and no luck. Stickmount mounts the device to /sdcard/usbStorage/128gb but I can't set that path. The path browser won't let me get higher than /storage

So I can't set the path manually.

If you can tell me what I need to do manually to fix this I'd be happy to try it.

New log attached

Sent from my Nexus 6P with Tapatalk

/sdcard basically link to /storage/emulated/0. when MX Player tries to access the directory you have mentioned, it receives cross-device link error. You can see the following lines on the logs.

Code:
E *MX.Directory: Can't open directory '/storage/emulated/0/usbStorage/128GB'. errno=18
Can you access the same location through a file manager without root?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes